SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-19, 11:05 AM   #1
PatrickWarner
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Periscope breaks above 10 knots is that real?

Is it really true that travelling at more than around 10 knots breaks the periscope on a submarine?

I guess it must be (?) but it seems strange that after all this time they haven't figured a way to make it work at faster speeds.

Is that because of technology limitations or is it more that they don't see a need to have it working at higher speeds?
PatrickWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 01:29 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWarner View Post
Is it really true that travelling at more than around 10 knots breaks the periscope on a submarine?

I guess it must be (?) but it seems strange that after all this time they haven't figured a way to make it work at faster speeds.

Is that because of technology limitations or is it more that they don't see a need to have it working at higher speeds?

There's not really much of a need. At slower speeds, it already starts to make a wake that can be quite visible from a distance. If you're running that fast, you're probably not hunting either, you're probably evading. I'm sure it's also a physics limitation. The periscope is of such and such a thickness and it's quite long so the water flow would put quite a torquing moment on the metal.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 09:54 PM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

In reality, no.
The scope barrel is fairly strong and its rated to the same depth as the hull (the scope barrel can be thought of as being separate from the rest of the sub).

In practical terms, there are some speed limits.
The only thing that attaches the barrel to the boat are the hull packing gland (the water tight seal that allows the barrel to turn) and two small (but long) hydraulic lifting cylinders.
You can raise the scope at higher speeds but its one heck of a ride once you grab the handles and look into the eye piece (the odds are good you'll wind up with a black eye). Otherwise, you don't want to risk damaging the packing gland or the lift rods.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 07:04 AM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
In reality, no.
The scope barrel is fairly strong and its rated to the same depth as the hull (the scope barrel can be thought of as being separate from the rest of the sub).

In practical terms, there are some speed limits.
The only thing that attaches the barrel to the boat are the hull packing gland (the water tight seal that allows the barrel to turn) and two small (but long) hydraulic lifting cylinders.
You can raise the scope at higher speeds but its one heck of a ride once you grab the handles and look into the eye piece (the odds are good you'll wind up with a black eye). Otherwise, you don't want to risk damaging the packing gland or the lift rods.

Don't listen to me, listen to this guy

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 03:08 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Well, its not like a junior OOD ever ordered the boat up to PD and forgot to check the speed before he raised the scope.

BTW, that fairing below the scope barrel isn't directly connected to it. The fairing has its own hydraulic lines and its designed to operate in sequence with the scope's hydraulics. If you wanted to raise the scope without the fairing, all you do is shut a couple of valves.
Old 06-12-19, 02:40 PM   #6
PatrickWarner
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

Interesting.

So why then in the game would they model the scope being permanently damaged if you raise when going above 10 knots if there's no basis for this? Seems like a strange thing for the game designer to do.
PatrickWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 04:43 PM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

You'd have to ask Sonalysts.

That always struck me as odd, maybe its a game play thing where you get a penalty if your attention to detail fails? Maybe they wanted to avoid the concept of "under hulling" another contact?

The truth of the matter is that you could raise and lower the scope at test depth as long as your external hydraulics had enough pressure and you were crazy enough to try it (and don't get me started on how test depth is mis-understood).

Old 06-13-19, 08:00 AM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

@ET2SN you talk about hydrostatic pressure but @PatrickWarner ask about hydrodynamic pressure - its NOT the same.

Quote:
You'd have to ask Sonalysts.

That always struck me as odd, maybe its a game play thing where you get a penalty if your attention to detail fails? Maybe they wanted to avoid the concept of "under hulling" another contact?
Did you tried to raise periscope at maximum operational depth? Im sure you didn't because its possible in DW, vanilla, RA or Lwami.
Only exceeding 10 kts speed causes periscope damage - no matter your submarine depth.