SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-14, 10:23 AM   #1
alalong
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 and SH5 modding / technical question

Good Morning...

Stalking the forumz here for a few years now, like a good ol' boy - aside from the fact that you can walk around in SH5 in the boats and on deck as well as some updated graphics - what are the main differences engine-wise between sh4 and sh5? Would it, from a modding POV not be more rewarding to just take some improvements from SH5 and incorporate them into SH4 than to fiddle around with sh5? SH4 has whole sufrace fleets by now playable, reimports from SH3 and all the hard work done there is thus not "wasted" per se and so forth, even Cold War subs have been added and are working more or less - I, and from reading here for some time, a lot of others incl. popular mods/modders, could very much so relinquish the ability to walk about the sub and having to "prep-talk" our minions into performing essential tasks if that meant the game experience as a whole would be expanded - more boats, environmental effects / conditions / more dynamic campaigns et all...

So, basically my question was / is are there any groundbreaking changes in the engine and thus how the game operates in SH5 compared to SH4 which make all the hard-working modders efforts here worthwhile or would it be more rewarding and/or possible to put those excellent efforts into SH4, from a technical POV with regards to expanding the game as a whole campaign / playable units / enviromentally-wise?
alalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 12:12 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

alalong!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 01:05 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome alalong

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 10:00 PM   #4
Jaystew
Sparky

Downloads: 50

there iss no crew management in sh5.

Im playing steel wolves mega. It is somewhat more scripted than I Remember sh4. Better gfx. the world is very well done. Real nav is great, its possible to drive ont land if ur not careful because u never (very rarely) know where you are for absolute certain.

I also like how the resolution is better. I do not like the lack of immersion of not managing/seeing/ accounting for every crew though. If that could be modded in like in She n Sh4 it would be the best sim of them all.

I think the lack of type 2 hinders the game a bit in 1939. But who didnt want to patrol in a type 7 in 39 anyway?

the lack of the type IX though does kinda suck. I also only sorta like the new modern ui look to SH5. the menus are only ok, I would much prefer more SH3 and accurate WW2 style.

Its a RAM hog too. but not too bad if u have 6-8+ gigs ur fine on 4 it can be a lil tricky.
Jaystew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 04:44 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystew View Post
I do not like the lack of immersion of not managing/seeing/ accounting for every crew though. If that could be modded in like in She n Sh4 it would be the best sim of them all.
Very true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystew View Post
I would much prefer more SH3 and accurate WW2 style.
You can accomplish that using TDW options file editor viewer...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote