SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-10, 06:28 AM   #1
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Default [WIP] Trevally Tutorials (for TDWs UI)

I have started writting tutorials for using TDWs UI mod.
NewUIs_TDC_6_4_0_ByTheDarkWraith or later is required.

Latest tutorial: Four Bearings.

DOWNLOAD
Trevally Tutorials All v0.2

Trevally Tutorials All v0.2 (for OH II ) USE THIS ONE IF YOU HAVE OHII INSTALLED

Trevally Four Bearings Tutorial Can be used with Real Nav
For use with TDW UI with Real Nav addon and No Map Updates.

Big thanks to Kuikueg for posting his New Improved Four Bearings Method,
on which I based this tutorial.

Basic Tutorials v0.4

There are only two in the basic tutorials at the moment, but I intend to add more soon.

Basic Sub Maneuvering -
This one includes and continues the Depth Control tutorial already within the UI. It also covers speed and steering.

Activate Stations -
This one is a guide to your boats stations.

I will add a more in depth guide to each station soon.

Fast 90 TDC v0.5
This includes tutorials in a pre-set mission and show you how to carry out 90 deg attacks using manual TDC.
This method is a good first step to manual TDC. (more info to follow)

Manual TDC 01 90deg -
This will take you through a step by step easy method for finding speed and target heading. With this information we can set up a fast 90deg attack and place each torp where we want it to hit.

Manual TDC 02 90deg Salvo -
As with the tutorial above, this helps you set a fast 90 attack. This time we set a salvo of torps and use the information we learned about gyroangles in a different way.

Range AOB Practice v0.2 (NewUIs_TDC_5_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith or later is required.)
This tutorial provides you the opportunity to practice finding range and AOB.

Use the stadimeter to find the range of various targets. Try methods to set the corrct AOB. A TDC checker will test you are getting each one correct. See great pic demo by Joegrundman Link
This is a good next step if you started using manual TDC with the fast90 tutorial.

TDC Checker
From the Range AOB Prictice tutorial.

This will check your AOB and Range TDC input against the target you are locked onto.
Run from "Automation" button and select -Tutorials - Sub - TDC Checker

RAOBF
Practice using this tool within a tutorial

This tutorial will take you through finding a target solution from using visual information and the RAOBF disc.
I would advice you to use "Manos Scopes" when using the RAOBF disc. If you are using one of the others - only count horizontal clicks on one side of the scale.

UPDATE NOTE: for the mast height measurment,it is not needed to put the scope's horizontal line on waterline . it is ok just to count how many marks the ship's mast is 'covering' on vertical scale

Credit and thanks (RAOBF):-

TDW for the tutorial commands and his UI/Mega mod
Makman for his Manos scopes and advice.
ToniloCoyote for his advice and correct ship sizes.
Pisces & joegrundman for teaching me how this works

Installing - Place folder in you MODS folder. Using JSGME un-install any previous versions first, then install (must be after "NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_ByTheDarkWraith"). You will get an overwrite warning (for 3 folders in TDW UI), this is ok.

Big thanks to TheDarkWraith for giving us this feature and all his help
All of the commands I use are within TDWs UI mod. Anyone can write these tutorials. See here for commands:-
C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\data\Tutorials\TDW_Tutorial

Last edited by Trevally.; 10-15-11 at 04:56 AM. Reason: added Four Bearings
Trevally. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 06:32 AM   #2
Trevally.
Navy Seal

To start any tutorial you must click on Tutorial in the main menu screen.

Then select the tutorial you want to run, from the list.

Next click on Historical Missions. If the tutorial requires a set mission, it will be highlighted for you. Click on it. You will see the u-boat selection switch to this mission
If no missions are highlighted, select any one of them.

Finally click start and the mission will load and the tutorial will start.

Last edited by Trevally.; 11-09-11 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-06-10, 07:26 AM   #3
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0

I am looking forward to the Fast 90 TDC tutorial, I think that will be appreciated by a lot of skippers. Nice one dude
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 07:44 AM   #4
brandtryan
Engineer

Downloads: 122

Thanks Trevally!

by the way--I'm having some trouble finding the best way to use your hydrophone search script (no station). If a contact is detected, it doesn't drop the TC to 1x. Also--is there a hotkey for starting AND stopping a script? That might be a question for DW.
Old 12-06-10, 08:06 AM   #5
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBANGtheory View Post
I am looking forward to the Fast 90 TDC tutorial, I think that will be appreciated by a lot of skippers. Nice one dude
Thanks BigBang - The fast 90 uses some new commands that TDW has written into his UI. Should be ready when he releases UIv5.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtryan View Post
Thanks Trevally!

by the way--I'm having some trouble finding the best way to use your hydrophone search script (no station). If a contact is detected, it doesn't drop the TC to 1x. Also--is there a hotkey for starting AND stopping a script? That might be a question for DW.
Just had a look. Due to the "check baffles" I had to change TDC within that script a lot. This was because your boat wont turn at high TDC.

You can change your options.py file to set TC on contact.

But yes you are correct, if you dont stop the script it will jump to high TC again. There is a total of 3mins listening where you can stop the script. A hot key would make this easier. (see TDWs tutorials on how to set hot keys)

I will have a look at the options.py to see how to change your TC on contact.
Old 12-06-10, 08:23 AM   #6
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Ok in your options you will find this :-

# the TC level at which the TCx on contact distance is enabled (this will change the TC level to a pre-determined level when a contact gets inside a specified radius around the sub if the current TC level is greater than or equal to this value)
# below in powers of 2 only!
TCxOnContactDistanceEnabledTCLevel = 1024

# when at TC > 1 and TCxOnContactDistanceEnabled is enabled (True) then this is the radius around your sub to determine when to set TC level to TCxOnContactDistanceTCLevel
# below in meters
TCxOnContactDistanceRadius = 8000.0

# the TC level to set when TCxOnContactDistanceEnabled is enabled (True) and contact is inside the TCxOnContactDistanceRadius
# below in powers of 2 only!
TCxOnContactDistanceTCLevel = 1

Change the 1024 to 32
You can also increase the range (radius)

If you do this however - you will only every be able to increase TC to 16 without it dropping to 1 when any contact is within that radius.
Old 12-06-10, 10:19 AM   #7
brandtryan
Engineer

I'll give 32 a try.

Also--I've assigned a hotkey for that script--but have noticed that it will start the script, but it won't STOP the script. So now I just run the script and watch carefully durring the baffles check for a contact, with my mouse hovering over the stop button in the automation interface. Also, for some reason I can't get the hotkey to work to pull up the automation interface. I'm going to try changing the key and requiring shift with it.
Old 12-06-10, 10:35 AM   #8
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Sorry, I don't know about the hotkeys stopping an automation script. Perhaps TDW can let us know if there is a fast easy way.

You can also try increasing the range. 8000m is close. The ships are loaded at 30000m. Now Im not saying you should set tha to 30km but try 15km to start.

This could be a pain when entering or leaving port - let me know. I may have to change the script to give more time to re-act.

Edit: Travel Mode when entering and leaving ports may allow you to go higher than TC16.

Last edited by Trevally.; 12-06-10 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-06-10, 10:42 AM   #9
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Sorry, I don't know about the hotkeys stopping an automation script. Perhaps TDW can let us know if there is a fast easy way.
currently no. I did forget to allow the hotkey to toggle start/stop. Currently the hotkey will only start. I'll look into it.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 05:04 PM   #10
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Added tutorial Fast 90 TDC.

NewUIs_TDC_5_4_0 or later is required.

See first post for download
Old 12-10-10, 08:21 AM   #11
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

Hi Trevally,

besides some tutorials (and automation scripts) for attacks, can you add some tutorials (and perhaps automation scripts) for navigation? Dead reckoning (taking spedd and bearing each hour and drawing it in the map while bad weather, asking the nav officer to take a position by using the sextant while good weather conditions) for example? Perhaps an automation script could be useful to do positioning automatically two times a day?
Old 12-10-10, 08:24 AM   #12
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtryan View Post
Also--I've assigned a hotkey for that script--but have noticed that it will start the script, but it won't STOP the script
starting in v5.4.0 this was corrected
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 08:46 AM   #13
brandtryan
Engineer

thanks DW!!!
Old 12-10-10, 11:40 AM   #14
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

I have just played through the 1st Fast90 tutorial, bloody good best tutorial to date IMHO. Thanks Trevally and of course TDW for the work, this plugs another big gap in the vanilla game.
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 02:02 PM   #15
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Hi Trevally,

besides some tutorials (and automation scripts) for attacks, can you add some tutorials (and perhaps automation scripts) for navigation? Dead reckoning (taking spedd and bearing each hour and drawing it in the map while bad weather, asking the nav officer to take a position by using the sextant while good weather conditions) for example? Perhaps an automation script could be useful to do positioning automatically two times a day?
I have been looking at making a tutorial for plotting a distant sound contact with no map contacts on - "Four Bearing". (this could work with real navigation too)

Now with the new "Real Navigation" I was thinking some more basic chartwork. Things like coordinates, speed/distance conversion and dead reckoning.

Not sure about automation - will have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
starting in v5.4.0 this was corrected
Thanks TDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBANGtheory View Post
I have just played through the 1st Fast90 tutorial, bloody good best tutorial to date IMHO. Thanks Trevally and of course TDW for the work, this plugs another big gap in the vanilla game.
Thanks BigBANGtheory, hope it helps. Any suggestions would be welcome