SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-21, 04:14 PM   #1
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Widescreen GUI's and GWX 3.0

Does anybody have a list of the widescreen GUI mods (1920X1080) that will work with GWX 3.0?
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 04:26 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Prowler3 this is the one i use for GWX

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...37&postcount=1
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 07:05 PM   #3
prowler3
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Prowler3 this is the one i use for GWX

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...37&postcount=1

I have been trying to find install instructions for this. GWX 3.0 first...GWX 3.0 after? One thing I've realized...SH3 was way more fun and easier "back in the day"
Old 01-26-21, 02:01 PM   #4
duce_de_zoop
Swabbie

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
I have been trying to find install instructions for this. GWX 3.0 first...GWX 3.0 after? One thing I've realized...SH3 was way more fun and easier "back in the day"

Yes indeed, it's a pain. I have a full, step by step guide to successfully, and safely, installing GWX + full screen + the necessary other mods. It does not include SH3 commander install instructions but I'm sure you'll have no trouble with that.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o9n63..._GWX.docx/file

Note this was not written by me, though I did edit it for clarity. Forgot to write down the OG author's name but he's here on subsim forums somewhere.
duce_de_zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 02:50 PM   #5
prowler3
XO

@duce_de_zoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by duce_de_zoop View Post
Yes indeed, it's a pain. I have a full, step by step guide to successfully, and safely, installing GWX + full screen + the necessary other mods. It does not include SH3 commander install instructions but I'm sure you'll have no trouble with that.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o9n63..._GWX.docx/file

Note this was not written by me, though I did edit it for clarity. Forgot to write down the OG author's name but he's here on subsim forums somewhere.

This is for Steam, apparently?. I do not have Steam version.

I am trying to avoid having to go back and start this entire process over. Here's what I want to do:

SH3
GWX 3.0
ARB WideGUI (for GWX 3.0).

from here I will add smaller mods. I'm still debating on the usefulness of Hsie patch. Unfortunately it seems that using it is a decision that must be made NOW and if I change my mind I will have to start this entire process all over? Can the HSIE patch be added but all changes turned "off", so they can be activated at a later date?\

For now I will see of I can safely put some more Kerbals in orbit and on they're way to Jool while awaiting more guidance from this group regarding SH3+GWX+ARB+HSIE.

Thanks!!

Last edited by prowler3; 01-26-21 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 03:50 PM   #6
duce_de_zoop
Swabbie

Quote:
@duce_de_zoop

This is for Steam, apparently?. I do not have Steam version.

I am trying to avoid having to go back and start this entire process over. Here's what I want to do:
The same fundamentals apply. Create a backup of a clean SH3 folder. Make sure your modded SH3 is outside of Program Files (x86), since Windows can mess with it.

I know it's a pain to start over, but I'd recommend you do and follow the steps. It might take a bit longer, but the patience is worth a clean build. Otherwise you could corrupt your install.

You definitely need TychosPatch to run Arb WideGui, it won't work without it.

Quote:

Can the HSIE patch be added but all changes turned "off", so they can be activated at a later date?
Yeah and this is what a lot of people do, but some are just bug fixes. I recommend CrashDiveBlues, Night Vision, U-Tanker Fix, Bad Weather Fix, War News Fix and Radar Bugfix enabled. I keep some of the more hardcore stuff like periscope fix, torpedo failure fix etc turned off.

Check the readme pdf included in the hsie download, it explains the fixes, and hsie really won't cause you any issues.

Link to hsie: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174225
Old 01-26-21, 06:30 PM   #7
prowler3
XO

Quote:
The same fundamentals apply. Create a backup of a clean SH3 folder. Make sure your modded SH3 is outside of Program Files (x86), since Windows can mess with it.

I know it's a pain to start over, but I'd recommend you do and follow the steps. It might take a bit longer, but the patience is worth a clean build. Otherwise you could corrupt your install.

You definitely need TychosPatch to run Arb WideGui, it won't work without it.

Yeah and this is what a lot of people do, but some are just bug fixes. I recommend CrashDiveBlues, Night Vision, U-Tanker Fix, Bad Weather Fix, War News Fix and Radar Bugfix enabled. I keep some of the more hardcore stuff like periscope fix, torpedo failure fix etc turned off.

Check the readme pdf included in the hsie download, it explains the fixes, and hsie really won't cause you any issues.

Link to hsie: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174225

Thanks! I have backed up my stock, 1.4b sh3.exe as you suggested in the "INSTALL HELP - GWX.docx"...and that's as far as I got when I started thinking about this being for a Steam install.

"You definitely need TychosPatch to run Arb WideGui, it won't work without it."

I understand that but...my download of ARB WideGUI includes a TychosPatch?...

So I don't know what to do...the included ARB instructions or yours?
Old 01-26-21, 07:40 PM   #8
duce_de_zoop
Swabbie

Quote:
Thanks! I have backed up my stock, 1.4b sh3.exe as you suggested in the "INSTALL HELP - GWX.docx"...and that's as far as I got when I started thinking about this being for a Steam install.

"You definitely need TychosPatch to run Arb WideGui, it won't work without it."

I understand that but...my download of ARB WideGUI includes a TychosPatch?...

So I don't know what to do...the included ARB instructions or yours?
The order won't matter with these two steps. You should be installing Arb through jgsme, which means you're just dropping files into the MOD folder. You'll have to run tychos .bat before launching jsgme and activating the mods anyway so as long as the other steps are followed, you'll be fine.

If you really want to be safe follow arb's instructions, but it shouldn't matter.
Old 01-27-21, 06:44 AM   #9
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi Prowler3 if you cant get a wide screen GUI to work you could try this compromise OLC GUI 1.2.7 Download Link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1616

When you unpack it you have two folders OLC GUI Dark files and OLC Core files just place the OLC Core files folder into your Mods Folder then activate with JSGME.

If you want the Das Boot Uboat Officer Icons Download Link below

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=3934

Unpack and place in SilenthunterIII/data/menu/Gui/Layout/ it replaces the old OfficerA icons
with the Das Boot ones you may want to backup your originals first.

Regards blackswan40 Andrew

Last edited by blackswan40; 01-27-21 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 10:41 AM   #10
Belmondo
Soundman

Downloads: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Prowler3 if you cant get a wide screen GUI to work you could try this compromise OLC GUI 1.2.7 Download Link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1616

When you unpack it you have two folders OLC GUI Dark files and OLC Core files just place the OLC Core files folder into your Mods Folder then activate with JSGME.

If you want the Das Boot Uboat Officer Icons Download Link below

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=3934

Unpack and place in SilenthunterIII/data/menu/Gui/Layout/ it replaces the old OfficerA icons
with the Das Boot ones you may want to backup your originals first.

Regards blackswan40 Andrew

Sorry, and is the 4Gb patch not needed?
Old 01-27-21, 11:12 AM   #11
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Whoops sorry Belmondo thanks for reminding me 4Gig Patch download Link Below

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

Last edited by blackswan40; 01-27-21 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-27-21, 12:10 PM   #12
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

Hi,there is also an option with big dials here https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...171019&page=26

folder Unknown moder,name OLCGS MFD LS.rar
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 04:49 PM   #13
prowler3
XO

Quote:
The order won't matter with these two steps. You should be installing Arb through jgsme, which means you're just dropping files into the MOD folder.

This is the type of thing that worries me. the ARB instructions never mention the MODS folder...or JSGME...but you do?

I'm not sure I can live with these discrepancies? I do appreciate your efforts but...after years of dealing with various games, including the worst (MSFS), I am not comfortable with installation instructions that do not agree.

That being said, I will wait and see if someone has instructions for these mods which follow the actual modder's install instructions, with an install order that works without issues.

I do appreciate all your efforts at helping me. However, this ain't my first rodeo and I am unwilling to do this, over and over again, until it works? Any discrepancy in how things are to be done makes me want to run screaming into the night...not because I'm "scared"...because I'm TIRED of doing that with games for the last 30 years.

So...for the sake of clarity...here's is where I would like to get:

SH3 1.4B, starforce free, installed (this is DONE!!)
GWX 3.0
SH3 Commander
ARB wideGUI
H.Sie patch (with no changes, at first).

after that point, I will be able to ask all of you about my old fave mods, and if they are still viable or even needed (remember, I have not played SH3 since my beloved Windows XP days...when I could have a "Hardware Profile" for 4:3 games).

I appreciate your patience and ask that you realize...I am over those younger days when I would try and try again to make a game work. I WILL keep trying...but only with clear and concise instructions...I leave the "try and try again" philosophy to our younger members.
Old 01-27-21, 05:17 PM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
This is the type of thing that worries me. the ARB instructions never mention the MODS folder...or JSGME...but you do?

I'm not sure I can live with these discrepancies? I do appreciate your efforts but...after years of dealing with various games, including the worst (MSFS), I am not comfortable with installation instructions that do not agree.

That being said, I will wait and see if someone has instructions for these mods which follow the actual modder's install instructions, with an install order that works without issues.

I do appreciate all your efforts at helping me. However, this ain't my first rodeo and I am unwilling to do this, over and over again, until it works? Any discrepancy in how things are to be done makes me want to run screaming into the night...not because I'm "scared"...because I'm TIRED of doing that with games for the last 30 years.

GWX 3.0
SH3 Commander
ARB wideGUI

after that point, I will be able to ask all of you about my old fave mods, and if they are still viable or even needed (remember, I have not played SH3 since my beloved Windows XP days...when I could have a "Hardware Profile" for 4:3 games).

I appreciate your patience and ask that you realize...I am over those younger days when I would try and try again to make a game work. I WILL keep trying...but only with clear and concise instructions...I leave the "try and try again" philosophy to our younger members.
In short, follow the directions to do what is needed to, this includes, as I recall setting up a jsgme ready mods folder, that after all is said & done with doing what patching needs to be done, you then take that jsgme ready folder, drop it into the 'MODS' folder & then activate it using jsgme to do so.

As I recall with the 1's in question you ask about, that is stated in the directions...

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 01-28-21, 10:43 AM   #15
duce_de_zoop
Swabbie

Quote:

GWX 3.0
SH3 Commander
ARB wideGUI

haha trust me I totally get it. The reason I recommend my guide over arb is because it recommends you to install Arb through JGSME. I'm kinda surprised the modder didn't put the same steps into his readme, but I guess he figured people wouldn't be activating and deactivating his mod.

At any rate, I prefer JGSME because there's much less a chance of corrupting your game files. It's easy and safe, I'd recommend it over the modder's instructions of installing it directly into your game.

I'm sorry for any discrepancies; this doc was saved because it was what I did + what the mod readmes told me to do. Good luck on whatever you choose to do! This game is a pain in the stern to mod but totally worth it.