SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-08, 03:02 AM   #61
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

any word if a version of this mod is compatable with GWX 2.0 OLC GUI/enviro/etc...?
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 03:18 AM   #62
dertien
Lieutenant

Downloads: 130

IIRC a GWX 2.0 compatible version will be released in their update 2.1.

so to answer your question: nope its not, alas
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea, and I have an idea and we exchange ideas each of us will have two ideas. G.B.Shaw
dertien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 09:11 PM   #63
bobchase
Torpedoman

Downloads: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
In real life its very very easy to know at what bearing you are looking at with the binoculars, while in the game you are turning the mouse left or right and have no idea how much your head is turning, thats why i think that the bearing indicator is useful... sometimes you turned to 270 looking for something and nothing shows up, you get out of the binoculars and see you already turned too much past 180... too hard to control that turning speed sometimes without the bearing indicator. Maybe if were only a north/south/east/west indicator, would be perfect...
I'm not sure that's true. In real life you would have an idea how much your head is turning, but that only helps if you're scanning in one general direction. Any more than a few degrees and you're turning your whole body, at which time you lose that sense of absolute direction. When using plain old binoculars in real life, I think we automatically drop them and use the naked eye, and then replace them without thinking about it.
Steve,
You are absolutely right. When I was at sea, any good lookout could give you a relative bearing of a visual contact within ten degrees of actual. Any good OOD would then pick up his binoculars and immediately confirm the sighting & the bearing. You are also right about the binoculars and the eyeball being used together. You scan from the ship to the horizon with the old Eyeball MK-1, Mod-1 and then you rescan with the binoc's. Next you turn slightly and do both scans again with an intentional overlap of the first scan. You do this over & over until you complete your sector of the sea, then you start all over again, and again, and again... It's a very long 4 hour watch in the winter.
When you find a contract, you confirm the contact with the binoculars and then drop your eyes to the hull to find your bearing. Then the officers do the just the reverse of that to find the contact from the approximate bearing derived from the hull.
Bob
bobchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 09:37 PM   #64
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

The camera mod does work with GWX 2.0. I installed it with JSGME. Heres some screenshots to prove it.

Old 04-01-08, 11:32 PM   #65
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

It works but its not 100% compatible. You will see modeling glitches. This was issue was posted ages ago. GWX team is working on a revised version and including it to there GWX 2.1 Patch.
Old 04-02-08, 02:09 AM   #66
dertien
Lieutenant

Danke Wolfhunter

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea, and I have an idea and we exchange ideas each of us will have two ideas. G.B.Shaw
Old 04-02-08, 02:32 AM   #67
dertien
Lieutenant

About that bearing in the compass...

Nowadays, the more sofisticated binoculars have a lighted compass mounted into them. I don't know if that was already the fact in WWII.
Old 04-02-08, 07:03 AM   #68
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by dertien
About that bearing in the compass...

Nowadays, the more sofisticated binoculars have a lighted compass mounted into them. I don't know if that was already the fact in WWII.
Oh, definitely not. When I was a boy growing up in the '50s my dad liked to have the best toys money could buy. He had a great pair of binoculars, but they couldn't do anything like that. Also, if they had that the UZO wouldn't need a bearing indicator dial below the binocs.
Old 04-02-08, 12:42 PM   #69
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

I've been able to get SB cam to work with GWX 2.0, but not with OLC GUI installed as well. I hope there's someone who can help me get all three working together. I miss walking around on deck, but I'll never play SH3 again without OLC GUI.
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 03:27 PM   #70
CptGrayWolf
Commander

Downloads: 11

Oh my God! Does this mean I'll be able to put on 'J'attendrai' on the gramophone and sway with the ocean waves in my captain's bunk?? Too good to be true! Downloading now...

Thomas Voltz, U-93 VIIc, Aug 1940, at sea patrol 1
GWX3 Gold, 100%
CptGrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 05:09 PM   #71
CptGrayWolf
Commander

Perfect! One of the most important mods for immersion imho!

btw is there an easy way to make the binocs all black? Since the numbers are disabled I'd like to get rid of them.

GWX3 Gold, 100%
Old 04-03-08, 02:00 PM   #72
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGrayWolf

btw is there an easy way to make the binocs all black? Since the numbers are disabled I'd like to get rid of them.
I asked that question earlier in the thread. The reply was that the camera mod will be part of GWX 2.1, and the numbers will be gone.

If you don't want GWX there is definitely a way to do it. I don't know what it is, but someone who does will surely give it up.
Old 04-03-08, 02:43 PM   #73
CptGrayWolf
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGrayWolf

I asked that question earlier in the thread. The reply was that the camera mod will be part of GWX 2.1, and the numbers will be gone.

If you don't want GWX there is definitely a way to do it. I don't know what it is, but someone who does will surely give it up.
Ooops, I really do read all posts, but looks like I missed that one.
Yup, either enable the bearings or get rid of them. Either way is fine with me. If anybody knows how to do this, let me know!
Great mod once again!

GWX3 Gold, 100%
Old 04-04-08, 03:26 PM   #74
RICH12ACE
Officer

Downloads: 117

hi i what THIS mod! but the links on your download/mods page do not work! help!
RICH12ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 03:59 PM   #75
CptGrayWolf
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH12ACE
hi i what THIS mod! but the links on your download/mods page do not work! help!
It's on page 3, http://rapidshare.com/files/94887614...d_SH3.zip.html

edit: new link

GWX3 Gold, 100%

Last edited by CptGrayWolf; 04-04-08 at 05:40 PM.