SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-21, 12:54 AM   #1
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Default Is France considered neutral in '39?

I'm playing Real Navigation these days. It's October '39 and I'm off Dogger Bank. I got a sound contact, surfaced, sped in and eventually saw the French flag. I have had no messages from BDU regarding the French but as I understand it we're at war after the invasion of Poland. I wish there was a list of when countries stop becoming neutral.

Even though we're at war I wonder if it's sensitive still to sink French shipping?
Compans57 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 01:25 AM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compans57 View Post
I'm playing Real Navigation these days. It's October '39 and I'm off Dogger Bank. I got a sound contact, surfaced, sped in and eventually saw the French flag. I have had no messages from BDU regarding the French but as I understand it we're at war after the invasion of Poland. I wish there was a list of when countries stop becoming neutral.

Even though we're at war I wonder if it's sensitive still to sink French shipping?
France declared war on September 3, but initially Hitler forbade attacks on French shipping hoping that France can be appeased. This ban was lifted on September 24 so in any case in October you should be fine attacking French ships (except passenger ships if you want to be historically correct, this was still banned after Athenia incident).
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 08:21 AM   #3
Compans57
Officer

Thanks!
Old 05-03-21, 10:31 AM   #4
Compans57
Officer

Postscript: Belgian. Verdamt!

One of the many great things about Real Nav is this kind of thing. Previously I'd get a sighting, go straight to the nav map, see a green ship icon and go off somewhere else. This contact involved a hydrophone reading (from me because the sound man didn't notice it), a dash at flank speed toward the heading, a smoke sighting (by me because the observation officer didn't see it) and finally, a wonderfully Patrick O'Brian-like lengthy positioning of my boat at parallel course around 8000 metres off, a slow move into forward position a sudden dash to cut the T and finally a submerging and cautious 'up' persiscope.

As the sun was rising it was hard to determine if that central band in the tricoleur was yellow or white but the ship was positively identified and I saw no use by the French. It was debatable but I didn't want an international incident on my hands.

No kill and yet, still memorable.
Old 05-03-21, 10:55 AM   #5
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

that the thing french belgium and romania flags looks alike hard to tell at night