SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-21, 09:32 AM   #3076
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy...

Per agreement, am reporting end results, after reordering mods list, & renesting of RSM.exe, into the main folder for FotRS...

Renesting the RSM.exe, no issues there. All good.

After reorganizing the mods list... well...

Loaded last save & ran across a tanker, that I ran across prior to the Subchaser class 13.

Before, I had no issues sinking it, the 1st time I ran across it.

However, this time.. still ended up with the same issue the 2nd time of coming across the subchaser. targeting was askew.. & range was crap. Except this time, it was with that tanker that I had it crop up... No ideas... so... I just bit the bullet, exited & scrapped the game save folder.

Upon start of a new career, after resetting up options before shoving off on patrol.. & can report that thus far, have not had the issue show up yet... Knock on wood *knock.. knock...*

End report.

M. M.

Thanks for the report. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
That's good

btw, i'm not bad-mouthing the original work, the texture in tmo just more reasonable, at least matched
I understand, and I was having fun with it. All the years of testing and playing the mod, and hadn't noticed that the torp textures do not match... that is a riot. So we'll fix what we have, and include your mod as an add-in for those who want the TMO colors. The idea behind FotRSU is user configurability. Thank you!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 10:31 AM   #3077
flush deck
Mate

Downloads: 55

Hi guys,

First, thanks for this awesome Mod and work behind.

propbeanie propose me, thanks for that, to get a look and test m'y skill on the texture of the USN and Japan ships of FotRSU. Very happy to start this new adventure, and give help to this great Project.

I'll post here (if it's ok of course) the WIP of the differents ships that I'll update.

First batch of reworked skin Will be for the USN DD

The Clemson DD186

Stay tuned

Against the overwhelming odds
flush deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 12:31 PM   #3078
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush deck View Post
Hi guys,

propbeanie propose me, thanks for that, to get a look and test m'y skill on the texture of the USN and Japan ships of FotRSU. Very happy to start this new adventure, and give help to this great Project.

I'll post here (if it's ok of course) the WIP of the differents ships that I'll update.

The Clemson DD186

Stay tuned
I think I'm in love...
Old 04-21-21, 01:07 PM   #3079
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Hi guys,

The Clemson DD186

Stay tuned
they look very sharp!
however, i kind of liked the one with the rust showing, here and there. it gives a more wartime look, if you know what i mean.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 07:59 PM   #3080
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Hi guys,

The Clemson DD186

Stay tuned
Ahoy, flush deck...

Like s7rikeback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
I think I'm in love...
but.. also like KaleunMarco...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
they look very sharp!
however, i kind of liked the one with the rust showing, here and there. it gives a more wartime look, if you know what i mean.
What would be the possibilities of still retaining a couple that are still... rough about the edges, that have a weary wartime hard use look to them...

Like they haven't had an opportunity to hit the docks to have seen being repaired or reconfigured yet... kind of it between updated or upgraded... sort of look, if you follow.

Other than that, love the look of the reworked skins thus far proposed...

M. M.

Old 04-21-21, 09:49 PM   #3081
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5
Default deck gun upgrade issue

i start a new campaign in middle 1943 with a gato, there is a upgrade pack of deck gun with "4 inch bow and 20mm AA stern", I adopt this upgrade and wierd thing happen: there is an additional crew slot with 4 crew members, but that should be 1 member since it's a 20mm AA. And in action, there is actually no man operating the new AA gun.

when I adopt the upgrade, there is no crew in deck gun solots. Then I test again with crew in original slots, after upgrading, nothing change, not even the additional solt for new AA gun, bug as well.

edit: i search deck gun issue in this thread and find the solution by saving and reloading without crew. It works! but only only one question: there are still 4 crew for 20mm AA gun, is that the mod intended or just another bug?

Last edited by flaminus; 04-21-21 at 10:17 PM.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 11:01 PM   #3082
propbeanie

As you found flaminus, check your guns crew before you do any "upgrades". This is the idea of the Green circles at a lot of the home ports - to be a reminder to the player to Save prior to entering port, which is near the smaller red circles. Also remove the crews from the guns, and put them back where you found them. Then you can safely enter port and dock, and ~most~ upgrades can't harm your people... maybe.

As you experienced on a new start and changing deck guns yourself, you have to Save the game so that the game engine properly initializes your gun crew positions at the new station(s). Usually, what you will find (if you don't Save) is that the location where the original gun was will be where the gun crew will properly report to their duty stations, while the other gun crew is in the torpedo room, sipping the juice...

As for the number of gun crew positions, remember first of all, it is now a deck gun, and as such, it must be fully manned as per union agreement. A deck gun is a deck gun, after all... - I jest, but only on the union rules. The game dictates that what we do to the one deck gun, must be done to the other also (crew-wise), else we can't swap ends with the guns... Maybe if we had "auto" stations, the way the Stock game does things, we wouldn't have the issue, but FotRSU, in a early attempt to eliminate the gun problem put designated crew member in the gun slots, so it is what it is. It does eliminate most instances of missing gun crew positions.

Also, the game does not allow us to man that 2nd deck gun, whether it would be a 4" and a 20mm, or a 5" and a 20mm, or two 5" guns. There is only one position the player can jump into, and that is the "default" deck gun position for the boat, which on a Gato is the bow position. The 20mm deck gun will not shoot at airplanes, only surface targets... sigh. So don't expect some help for your AA crews on the conn positions. But definitely check your gun crew positions both before and after any changes you make to the guns.

btw: I was able to completely hose the gun crews on both the deck guns and the AA guns, just by trying to experiment a bit with the Gato... I don't like the idea of one little mistake trashing the boat like that... I'll do some tweaking on the in-progress careers, to see if similar can happen there...

@ flush deck: I love the new threads for the Clemson also. Is the Measure 12 a North Atlantic scheme? My dad was telling me that as they went across the Pacific for Leyte Gulf, they painted their ship twice. They went from store-bought grey through the Panama Canal, to a different Measure camo, which almost sounds like a dazzle as he describes it, and then they painted it a green camo scheme as they got closer to the Philippines and were going to be closer in toward shore. Looks good!

Old 04-21-21, 11:23 PM   #3083
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Ahoy, propbeanie...

Per last report, had restructured set up with v1.46 of FotRS to:

FotRSU-EN v1.46
Nippon v1.2.1
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
International Radio mod
Fleetboat Interior-Officers Quarters_FOTRSU v1.39 EN
SEA_LIFE_SH4
1-MM's Gramophone music mix

with RSM.exe nested into the main SH4 folder that I am running with the updated FotRS.

After testing, & having the same issue showing up, I then dumped the game save folder, reset up & proceeded with a fresh career.

well, it appeared that set things right as it went with target lock & the correct tube assignment.. which was all good, as I saw of.

Got 1/2 way into the 1st patrol objective territory, which was to patrol the Camrahn Bay area for 10 days, got a 2ndary objective of sinkCamrahn3, what ever that is or was exactly.. well.. will not know. As right after I got that objective.. no message forth wit to explain what or where that was to be done (exactly... ) sad to say, I got hit with a CTD... & needless to say.. came to the decision to withdraw both Fleetboat interior & sea life and just roll with the activation of:

FotRSU-EN v1.46
Nippon v1.2.1
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
International Radio mod
1-MM's Gramophone music mix

for now.

Until I can find out what caused it... as is, I know that before I ran into issues, that set up worked when I ran that S boat career, even though it ended badly for Me. Hopefully, can figure out why so that it can be corrected & those added in at another time. For now, am just going to forgo them..

Got to say, I have a lot of respect for our boys, who actually served aboard them S boats.. now even more so... for their perseverance in doing so... as well as for those boys, who served on Uboats. Serving on them, took a ton of guts...

Just wanted to give you an update...

M. M.

Old 04-22-21, 12:09 AM   #3084
propbeanie

I have tested that exact mission myself, and just went through it again in a text editor and found nothing "wrong", other than the secondary mission name... - You should have received a message "Sink Ships" when you crossed into the patrol area, and then the "Sink tonnage" secondary is added to your list of Objectives. The mod is big, and even with LAA and the like, Windows still will not go beyond 2 gig of RAM for the game's memory space, and from what I remember of Home editions, ~all~ 32-bit apps reside in the same sandbox. If Moonlight or some other Windows 10 techie could let us know for certain.

Old 04-22-21, 12:20 AM   #3085
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As you found flaminus, check your guns crew before you do any "upgrades". This is the idea of the Green circles at a lot of the home ports - to be a reminder to the player to Save prior to entering port, which is near the smaller red circles. Also remove the crews from the guns, and put them back where you found them. Then you can safely enter port and dock, and ~most~ upgrades can't harm your people... maybe.

As you experienced on a new start and changing deck guns yourself, you have to Save the game so that the game engine properly initializes your gun crew positions at the new station(s). Usually, what you will find (if you don't Save) is that the location where the original gun was will be where the gun crew will properly report to their duty stations, while the other gun crew is in the torpedo room, sipping the juice...

As for the number of gun crew positions, remember first of all, it is now a deck gun, and as such, it must be fully manned as per union agreement. A deck gun is a deck gun, after all... - I jest, but only on the union rules. The game dictates that what we do to the one deck gun, must be done to the other also (crew-wise), else we can't swap ends with the guns... Maybe if we had "auto" stations, the way the Stock game does things, we wouldn't have the issue, but FotRSU, in a early attempt to eliminate the gun problem put designated crew member in the gun slots, so it is what it is. It does eliminate most instances of missing gun crew positions.

Also, the game does not allow us to man that 2nd deck gun, whether it would be a 4" and a 20mm, or a 5" and a 20mm, or two 5" guns. There is only one position the player can jump into, and that is the "default" deck gun position for the boat, which on a Gato is the bow position. The 20mm deck gun will not shoot at airplanes, only surface targets... sigh. So don't expect some help for your AA crews on the conn positions. But definitely check your gun crew positions both before and after any changes you make to the guns.

btw: I was able to completely hose the gun crews on both the deck guns and the AA guns, just by trying to experiment a bit with the Gato... I don't like the idea of one little mistake trashing the boat like that... I'll do some tweaking on the in-progress careers, to see if similar can happen there...
Thank you for your explanation. It seems that smoothly playing of this game needs lots of reading and researching
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 01:17 AM   #3086
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have tested that exact mission myself, and just went through it again in a text editor and found nothing "wrong", other than the secondary mission name... - You should have received a message "Sink Ships" when you crossed into the patrol area, and then the "Sink tonnage" secondary is added to your list of Objectives. The mod is big, and even with LAA and the like, Windows still will not go beyond 2 gig of RAM for the game's memory space, and from what I remember of Home editions, ~all~ 32-bit apps reside in the same sandbox. If Moonlight or some other Windows 10 techie could let us know for certain.
Dunno for definite, if any difference it makes, but with Win 10, am rolling with Win 10 Pro.. not Home. *shrugs* Not that I am impressed with it per se as it is... know that some time soon.. am likely going to get kicked up to whatever is slated to replace the version 1909 version I have of it now. Kicked up to it, kicking & screaming, the whole way, I might add... & I don't go quietly, either...

Yeah, in the Capt. Log clipboard, in the messages section, where radio messages go in that clipboard.. was a Sink ships, as I recall.. but nothing else with regards to the sinkcamrahn3 added objective though, to denote to do so in a particular location of just go gung ho on any ship crossing My path.. or if it was to be a certain ship type... nothing. If at all possible, any info on what the tonnage is to be sunk with that & 2ndly... any chance of having a message be received from HQ as to that specifics to show in the Capt.'s Log clipboard... Just asking, Por favor... mi capitán...

Not that it will do any good now, but.. knowing that, I can keep it in Me ol' noggin, for future reference.. that is.. provided ol'man-itis doesn't wipe the memory banks...

M. M.

Old 04-22-21, 07:29 AM   #3087
propbeanie

If a person gets a "Proceed immediately to..." assignment, which is a "Sink" objective, those will generally be a minimum of 2500 to 10000 tons. The 10000 tons are usually designated by tonnage with something like "Sink 10,000 tons of enemy shipping" or similar. The others might not be. In all cases, a "Sink" assignment can be accomplished anywhere in the SH4 world, where you can find enemy traffic. When you have one of those "Sink" assignments as a secondary that kicks in upon arrival on a Patrol assignment, those might be as low a 1 ton, or up to 1500 tons, all generally obtainable with the sinking of one ship. No penalty of course, if you do not sink any shipping, other than not earning the points for completion of the objective. But you can still sink anything anywhere, though you are confined by the Patrol requirements still... it is best of course, if you play with duds enabled, and get to experience the frustration of several hours of set-up work ruined by BurOrd...

P.S.: I think the Pro version allows several sandboxes for the kiddies to play in... or would they be "old legacy kiddies"?? and it's 4 gig, not 2... lol

Old 04-22-21, 07:45 AM   #3088
froinchi
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support I can't fire torpedoes...

Hello everyone. I can't use torpedoes in my campaign. I prepare everything, press fire button, nothing happens. How can I fix it? Thanks.
Old 04-22-21, 08:29 AM   #3089
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by froinchi View Post
Hello everyone. I can't use torpedoes in my campaign. I prepare everything, press fire button, nothing happens. How can I fix it? Thanks.

first: did you open the torpedo tube door? "q" If not, you'll just hear a 'click' when you hit the fire button.

second : if you did open the door, try cntrl-enter. same thing? or not.?

either way put up all the info here for the guru's to use.
Ship type, home base, date, SH4 version, list of all mods in use, and anything else you can send.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 03:36 PM   #3090
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

Was wondering why the SJ radar antenna keeps rotating while underwater. I could be wrong but I don't think this is accurate. Is there a way to turn off rotation when the set is off? Seems The captain should have the option to turn on SJ radar when surfaced, should he choose. Should'nt turn on without a direct order.
Canonicus is offline   Reply With Quote