SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-21, 02:25 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Well, this was interesting.

Testing my Pearl Harbor attack for forthcoming TMO update.

Have two waves of planes attacking at historically correct times (not as many aircraft, too much for SH 4 to handle believe but enough to give the feel) have the Battleships in correct place, working on removing the wrecks. I have the 5 midget subs in area, Ward arriving to attack the sub trailing the merchant Antares as it enters harbor etc.

Plan is for one pre start of patrol starting in November 41, spend some time at sea, encounter japanese vessels perhaps but orders to only fire unless fired upon (won't give away too much) and orders to arrive back at Pearl Dec 07 by 0700 . Anyways I was heading into the channel around 0700 when spotted (and sound heard) a contact. Saw a periscope and then a PBY came into view, spotted the midget sub(hope to have them firing torpedoes when release the upgrade) and attacked, made two attacks, sunk it, even left the gray ship sunk marker on map. Pretty cool to observe. I heard the Ward firing its guns in distance, believe firing at the midget sub trailing the merchant as it approached harbor entrance, assume it was hit and sunk, never made contact and it was not in the harbor, no ship sunk mark though.

The air attack came at 755 on schedule, had just pulled into the sub base when heard the ship alarms go off across the harbor (anyone have an air raid alarm can add into the game? You know, the old "whine" sound? ) .AA fire from various ships started as I went back emergency , to GQ and had 20 MM manned. as backed out and began turn dive bombers began attacking Battleship row (couple landed near me) my AA gun splashed one, which crashed into water between the sub base piers. Torpedo planes came in (some had torpedoes, others were empty? Have to check into that, perhaps encountered ships en route to the target?) Saw multiple hits on the BB's and others. Zeros bombed and strafed me, no bombs hit but landed close, did minor hull damaged, guns injured crew, AA gunner set two afire but did not observe them crash. As we exited the channel, observed midget submarine heading east (this sub is there to represent the one that grounded twice trying to enter harbor, then ended up on eastern Oahu, was captured, along with its commander, he first Japanese POW of the war, and is in a museum to this day). Fired a torpedo at it as well as the aft deck gun, scored hits. Sub disappeared, presumed kill.

Somehow, caught the attention of three Kates, in sufficient water for diving, ordered a crash dive. As we passed 80 feet, a torpedo passed overhead two others were in distance. When surfaced at 1200, attack was over. Several ships were in the area underway. Went back into harbor to find all of the BB's damaged, listing, one completely sunk.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 02:42 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default the true nature of "Minnesota Nice" on 'the day of Infamy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

Have two waves of planes attacking at historically correct times (not as many aircraft, too much for SH 4 to handle believe but enough to give the feel) have the Battleships in correct place, working on removing the wrecks. I have the 5 midget subs in area, Ward arriving to attack the sub trailing the merchant Antares as it enters harbor etc.

Plan is for one pre start of patrol starting in November 41, spend some time at sea, encounter japanese vessels perhaps but orders to only fire unless fired upon (won't give away too much) and orders to arrive back at Pearl Dec 07 by 0700 . Anyways I was heading into the channel around 0700 when spotted (and sound heard) a contact. Saw a periscope and then a PBY came into view, spotted the midget sub(hope to have them firing torpedoes when release the upgrade) and attacked, made two attacks, sunk it, even left the gray ship sunk marker on map. Pretty cool to observe. I heard the Ward firing its guns in distance, believe firing at the midget sub trailing the merchant as it approached harbor entrance, assume it was hit and sunk, never made contact and it was not in the harbor, no ship sunk mark though.

The air attack came at 755 on schedule, had just pulled into the sub base when heard the ship alarms go off across the harbor (anyone have an air raid alarm can add into the game? You know, the old "whine" sound? ) .AA fire from various ships started as I went back emergency , to GQ and had 20 MM manned. as backed out and began turn dive bombers began attacking Battleship row (couple landed near me) my AA gun splashed one, which crashed into water between the sub base piers. Torpedo planes came in (some had torpedoes, others were empty? Have to check into that, perhaps encountered ships en route to the target?) Saw multiple hits on the BB's and others. Zeros bombed and strafed me, no bombs hit but landed close, did minor hull damaged, guns injured crew, AA gunner set two afire but did not observe them crash. As we exited the channel, observed midget submarine heading east (this sub is there to represent the one that grounded twice trying to enter harbor, then ended up on eastern Oahu, was captured, along with its commander, he first Japanese POW of the war, and is in a museum to this day). Fired a torpedo at it as well as the aft deck gun, scored hits. Sub disappeared, presumed kill.

Somehow, caught the attention of three Kates, in sufficient water for diving, ordered a crash dive. As we passed 80 feet, a torpedo passed overhead two others were in distance. When surfaced at 1200, attack was over. Several ships were in the area underway. Went back into harbor to find all of the BB's damaged, listing, one completely sunk.
Is it possible to be where the USS Ward sank the first Japanese mini sub and gave the warning that was not followed up? < the gun that done it! now in St Paul MN! < the shell hole in the conning tower of the 2-man crewed minisub...methinks the commander, presumably at his periscope, did/could not have survived the impact.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 04:03 PM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

Can check that out & see if it fits what you're looking for...

Is also this here... with a lot of different recordings, that are available to download...

https://www.soundsnap.com/tags/air_raid

Hope this helps...

M. M.

Old 03-22-21, 04:05 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Is it possible to be where the USS Ward sank the first Japanese mini sub and gave the warning that was not followed up? < the gun that done it! now in St Paul MN! < the shell hole in the conning tower of the 2-man crewed minisub...methinks the commander, presumably at his periscope, did/could not have survived the impact.

Yes, it is possible to be there and witness/participate, they spawn at proper dates and times, because things are dynamic, sometimes can be off a minute or two and sometimes things unfold a little differently but in general, it plays out according to history. Warning shot wise, rarely does the first shot hit, so can call that a warning shot. I do wish friendly DD's would depth charge submerged submarine but they do not so limited to gunfire. PBY'
s will certainly drop depth charges on them though. I included a flash traffic message that player will receive at 0700 that Ward reported firing on and sinking enemy submarine in the defensive sea area. Message was sent t 0651, figured time it would take to be passed along so it shows up at 0700.

Excellent photos. Amazing they saved that gun. Yes, I doubt the commander in the sub survived that hit, miracle if he did. The story of Ensign Kazuo Sakamaki(HA-19 commander is quite interesting)
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote