SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-20, 05:00 PM   #1
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5
Default Silent Hunter IV Copies won't launch

Hello, Subsim!

I decided today that I wanted to use multiple SH4 installs and have a different mod set for each one. On THEBERBSTERS SH4 tutorials page, I found a tutorial on how to do it by Webster. I followed the instructions and created two new SH4 installs, one was for FotRSU and the other was for Dark Waters. The original one I used to make the copies for I left unmodded and left it as the stock version. I used MultiSH4 to create 2 new save-game directories.
Now I click the FotRSU shortcut to launch my copy. The blue circle spins around the cursor and then.....
Nothing. The game didn't run. I looked on Steam while I clicked the .exe and apparently, the new copies of my game DID run but they just stopped running after a few seconds.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 07:46 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

One thing to try that works on my Win7 desktop, and ~used~ to work on my Win10 laptop, was to log-in to the Steam app on my computer. Then use the Library utilities to add a non-steam game to the Steam Library start menu, and try it that way. Refer to Add Non-Steam Games to a Library, which is rather short, but... it is the only way to add the game back in, so that Steam will run the checks. I then create a desktop short-cut from within Steam there, and it will run OK. But Win10 no longer cooperates with me, and will only do the original copy...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 08:37 PM   #3
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

I tried that already and it didn't work. I think I'll just stick to the Uplay version of the game because steam is such a pain in the arse to use for these games.

Thank you for your help.

If anyone else stumbles across this thread and has the same issue as me, I would tell you to switch to Uplay.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 05-06-20, 01:22 AM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Why does everyone have so much trouble with Steam? I have a stock copy and an OM copy of SH4 and both run fine. I'll see if I can make another copy to help out.

Edit: You don't have Steam installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86) do you?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 03:27 AM   #5
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

I just made another copy here's what I did:

Deactivate all mods on my original install.

Copy that entire folder (Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific) from the steamapps/common directory and pasted it in the same directory.

Windows renamed it Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific-Copy by default. I changed the name to Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific Modded.

Copied MultiSH4 and pasted it into my new directory.

Ran MultiSH4.

Set the name to Mod. Hit save. Closed the program by clicking the X in the corner.

Ran the exe.

Game started.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 05-06-20, 07:05 AM   #6
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

No I do not. I just switched to Uplay for SH4 though. I will still try your way and see if it works.

EDIT:
I did it your way for the Uplay version and the game works! It can launch. I still gotta mod it though.

EDIT #2:

I made two new copies, one for FotRSU and one for Dark Waters. The Dark Waters one doesn't work but the FotRSU one does.
Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Texas Red; 05-06-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 12:14 PM   #7
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

OK Now another problem has popped up. The stock game that I used to make the copies, I clicked on the .exe for it to launch. It launches but now there is a FotRSU splash screen instead of the original SH4 splash screen?

I will see if uninstalling and reinstalling my copies will make a difference.

Old 05-07-20, 10:18 AM   #8
propbeanie

I have a problem now, in that the Win10 laptop updated yesterday, and NOTHING works now for my SH3 and SH5 installs, Stock, copied or otherwise...

I decided to attempt to turn down the UAC to see if that helped, and UAC is worse than ever, giving me three pop-ups now for Steam, Steam, and the game... - I do not understand what they are trying to do with their updates, but... The game starts, I get to the menu, but soon as the 3D goes to load, I'm back at the desktop, no sign of SH3, and it is not in the Task Manager... where's my hammer?... [search search]

Windows 7 is still fine...

Old 05-07-20, 10:46 AM   #9
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Maybe try running Windows 10 in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

Old 05-07-20, 11:19 AM   #10
propbeanie

Oh, I've been through all of those "Compatibility" tab settings, including Admin, High DPI, and another that I can't think of right now... Two weeks ago, I didn't have a care in the world about SH games, Steam and Windows 10, but these last two updates have now taken them completely out. Near as I can tell, the only recourse now is to attempt an uninstall of Steam, and try all over again... sigh... Maybe next week - or the week after. I am about over this Windows 10 and Steam BOTH...

Old 05-07-20, 11:25 AM   #11
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Yup. Stupid Windows updates have to come along and ruin everything!

Old 05-07-20, 08:02 PM   #12
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

I'm completely baffled by some peoples problems. I run Steam no problem. I run Windows 10 Pro 64bit no problem. What was the last update Prop?

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 05-07-20, 08:51 PM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I'm so happy to have my old SH4 DVD which will bypass all the U-Play stuff. Want to run your game fne with all mods? Get rid of U-Play. True for SH3,4,5.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 09:07 PM   #14
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
I'm completely baffled by some peoples problems. I run Steam no problem. I run Windows 10 Pro 64bit no problem. What was the last update Prop?
I am not sure... - I just had that info too... But, what I do have is
Windows 10 Home
version 1909
build 18363.778
... and while in the middle of logging-in to SubSim, I hit the 12% mark on the battery, so naturally, the beast shut-down on me at 10... what thuh? 10% of battery is enough for another 30 minutes, unless I fire SH4 up... do the computers come with fuel injectors now, that they are worried you'll burn up if they breath air when you run out of fuel?...

Anyway, I did manage to get going on one new SH3 install and a copy finally. I had to uninstall all four of my Steam games, and the Steam app, delete the left-over folders and files, re-boot the computer, then re-install, just to get an SH3 install going. Funny thing is, my SH3 install was missing - completely missing - the Main.cfg file... good thing I know what's in them, and happened to have one handy (you need an extra for SH3). I have not tried to mod my working copy yet... SH5 is ~still~ downloading, so I still have to deal with not only Steam with it, but also UPlay and the update and getting logged-in and then turning off the online.

In the meantime, files are disappearing elsewhere on the computer also, and I had to get "permission" to copy the main.cfg file into the My Documents folder. This is ~after~ I reduced the UAC influence. At least the firewall "sees" Steam and the games now, and they do have permissions. Scary thing is, there is a "Cumulative Update" for 1909 sitting in the wings, waiting to change all of my settings again... sigh. Windows Home sux.

Thankfully, I do have a disk version of SH4 also, XenonSurf

The irritating part of this is that I was doing a new copy of SH3 to "document" what I do for another SubSim member, to show them how to make a copy for modding, and I not only eventually lost all four of my modded SH3 copies, but my "clean" game also... and in the middle of it all, two Windows update sessions that I should have delayed... lol

Old 05-07-20, 09:32 PM   #15
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Man, that really sucks.