SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-24-20, 02:43 PM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Advice on Playable Ships

Hi,
I'm looking for US and Japanese playable ships, destroyers in particular, able to launch torpedos. For example the USS Clemson destroyer had 12 torpedos loaded in real life. I can find a lot of playable ships but they don't have this feature, most of them only deck and flack guns simulated, not enough for me to send them in a campaign.
The only playable ship with torpedos I have is Peabody's IJN Asashio Destroyer which also has other very good added features like damage repairs, gun and aiming ranges adjusted and good zoom features.
I have taken Peabody's work to compare to other ship packs, but I was not able to see any difference in the files for a ship that has torpedos loaded compared to those which do not, probably the torpedos loaded are in one of the *.sim files which are binary and that I cannot edit with notepad (I'd have to use special editor for these files like I did in SH5).

The reason for my request:
I think about working on a dedicated campaign for playable ships, but the condition would be that at least I can equip playable destroyers with torpedos, otherwise they would be killed too soon to make it of any interest in a campaign. Then I'm looking to make it possible to make the player ship part of a friendly group, but this is not possible AFAIK, or yes?

Thanks for anyone to point me to a downloadable mod for US destroyers (or other ships) with torpedos in order for me to have a good workable example that I could implement in other units, or to tell me which files I would need to mod for adding torpedos, this last one would really help me a lot.

Thanks,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-24-20 at 03:10 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 11:51 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Problem solved, I used S3D editor to edit sim files and manually edited upc files in the Submarines folder. Destroyers used to have about 10-14 torpedos mounted sideways as well as many battleships. The English ones used 21 inch quadruple torpedo tubes mounted above water on both sides, so there is plenty to do make a war machine in SH4
Contrary to what the modders say, I cannot confirm that your ship will get destroyed if torpedos are launched, of course you need to be at slow speed.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote