Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-05, 03:59 PM   #1
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
Commander

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Making Waves

just a lil progress report... actually, it's more of a non progress report...

i'm waiting for updates on two state of the art game engines i'm using, and have decided to hedge my bets against any failure on their parts by working on some code in the other game engines that i've been using...

if the new stuff doesn't pan out, i'm going to release the first game as is without the state of the art pixel shader graphics and effects...

i really can't delay much longer... anyways, here is a lil screenshot from the dungeon... from the third in the series (not even close to being done)...

in Blitz3D... a boomer plows through some rough seas in the North Atlantic... really rough seas... i think i over did it a lil on the wakes... plus, they look a lil like clouds instead of water... still gotta work to do on this, but the effect is there...

click on screenshot for a short (769k) video

also... two new sub models ready for the paint shop, from the second in the series...

the Tang Class

and the Grayback/Growler SSG

--Mike
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 01:02 AM   #2
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Mike

I've been lurking in this forum on and off and I must say that your game looks excellent, and the early Cold War theme is very original and something I've been waiting for.

If I could throw in a word for the guys with the lower end system...Don't worry about the graphics. Make the gameplay amazing

Keep it up!
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 08:13 AM   #3
Commander

thx PD...

as i turns out, i may have little choice as far as the graphics are concerned... this morning i just found out that the primary engine i was coding against won't have an essential update ready before end of August, early September...

... i can't wait that long, i might have to use what i have already, and sacrifice the latest and greatest graphics 'till the next version.

--Mike
Old 07-14-05, 09:08 AM   #4
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Tang and Grayback very sweet. I've been getting very intrested in the early Cold War era recently and I can't wait to see these boats in action.

I got to echo PD and say be kind to low end systems.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 11:44 AM   #5
Mulder
Watch

Downloads: 1

damn man...it good
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-05, 07:24 PM   #6
Commander

thx TLAM, Mulder... i just hope i don't dissappoint you guys...

anyways... in spite of the bad news concerning the delay in releasing the next version of the 3Impact engine, i'm trying to see what i can salvage and what compromises i can make if i decide to continue with it and forgo the bumpmapped water...

it's really hard to bite the bullet on this after seeing the pics from the Akella PT Boat sim... beautiful water... and playing with the SH3 water, but hey... what can i do...

this is what i've got so far without bumpmapped reflective water... it's not the super impressive stuff that i was hoping for, but still a bit above just plain jane textures... and most video cards will be able to handle this...

as you can see i've still got a few problems that have to be resolved before i can put this in the final running, that obvious sawtooth effect on the env map reflection has gotta be fixed... along with a few other small things... once those are resolved, then i can add the spray and wake that i've got in the Blitz version...

who ever said this was gonna be fun

--Mike
Old 07-26-05, 05:56 PM   #7
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
thx TLAM, Mulder... i just hope i don't dissappoint you guys...

anyways... in spite of the bad news concerning the delay in releasing the next version of the 3Impact engine, i'm trying to see what i can salvage and what compromises i can make if i decide to continue with it and forgo the bumpmapped water...

it's really hard to bite the bullet on this after seeing the pics from the Akella PT Boat sim... beautiful water... and playing with the SH3 water, but hey... what can i do...

this is what i've got so far without bumpmapped reflective water... it's not the super impressive stuff that i was hoping for, but still a bit above just plain jane textures... and most video cards will be able to handle this...

as you can see i've still got a few problems that have to be resolved before i can put this in the final running, that obvious sawtooth effect on the env map reflection has gotta be fixed... along with a few other small things... once those are resolved, then i can add the spray and wake that i've got in the Blitz version...

who ever said this was gonna be fun

--Mike
So how goes your project Mike?
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 08:58 PM   #8
Commander

still racing along... doing work on the original WWII version for the past 3 days... enhancing the models and graphics...

will show a lil bit soon...

--Mike
Old 07-27-05, 04:50 AM   #9
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

OT: but nice realtime wave rendering based on the Tessendorf paper
get the 30MB video at: http://eric.boissard.free.fr/waves.html
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 09:13 AM   #10
Commander

thx for the link Seeadler...

man, those look sooooo real... all mine waves are form a simple sin function applied to a vertex deformation algorithm...

--Mike
Old 07-30-05, 06:56 PM   #11
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Neat stuff. That's sea spray right ?

Always good to see new stuff from you Mike.

Deamon
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 06:47 PM   #12
nacra
Swabbie

Long time lurker, first time poster:

Just wanted to echo everyone else's comments that cutting edge graphics are not required, really the overall feel of the game, the scenarios and the systems are (I think) what sub simmers are looking for. And your game looks like it delivers!

Paul
http://sub-log.com

EDIT: I'd written that good graphics ARE required and meant the opposite. Sorry for the typo.
nacra is offline   Reply With Quote