SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-20-13, 11:53 AM   #121
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Would be a real shame if v2 never gets released into the wild, did a little beta testing for Rubini and it was really impressive work.

I cant even begin to comprehend the workloads involved in making a mod with so many variables, not to mention the unpredictable nature of sh3s particles.

Its true there are some hard coded limitations that mean we may never see drifting fog patches in a storm followed by a bright cloudless day. Right now im just happy the particle clouds break up the repeating background of the sky texture and the light central fog gives some sense of depth and movement in the environment.

I took some amazing screenshots from the v2 beta, not quite sh5 standard but better than i thought i would ever see sh3 looking! With the community and talented modders like Rubini behind mods like this, who knows what we can acheive
Old 10-20-13, 01:09 PM   #122
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508

I agree.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 03:01 PM   #123
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

The clouds in perfect weather look a bit patchy to my eye. Here's a screenshot. The original pic on the right. The one on the left is photoshopped by me. The sky is painted with very light transparent yellow. This changes the colour of the sky to somewhat grey but it does make the patchiness a little more subtle.

Anyways I think that making the clouds a little more transparent would make them look better - in good weather. However more transparency might mean worse looking foggy clouds
Old 10-20-13, 04:19 PM   #124
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakmonkey View Post
...not quite sh5 standard but better than i thought i would ever see sh3 looking!:
Agreed!

Mr. Rubini, you are a wonder. Keep up the excellent work. Much appreciated.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 12:06 AM   #125
tootsie
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Agreed!

Clouds look kinda dark in this picture.
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 10-21-13, 08:51 AM   #126
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Looks like a very anticipated mod there.

Grats, Rubini !
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 08:53 AM   #127
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Agreed!

Looks gorgeous!
Thought id chip in a couple of mine, I stitched together a bunch of panoramas in photoshop.

Old 10-21-13, 09:17 AM   #128
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakmonkey View Post
Looks gorgeous!
Thought id chip in a couple of mine, I stitched together a bunch of panoramas in photoshop.
Great panoramas
Old 10-21-13, 09:48 AM   #129
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Wow, is it v2 version of this mod? Looks really good.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 12:26 PM   #130
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hello dear mates,

First, excuse me by my bad english. Frequently is very difficult to me to explain in good and few words, in english, exactly what i should like to say. Anyhow, lets try to say it. By the above, this can be a bit long, sorry!

Seems that this wip/project/mod is bring some discussion what is always good for a good mod perspective. And is also very usefull for the modder. I can assure you that is more productive for the final work to have feedbacks, good or bad, than have any.

Like i said, since the first post here, the main contribution from this wip is that now we have a solid way to put ANY particle or amount of particles (in size, type, color, etc, etc) in the sh3 environment. This openned the door for a potencial new enhanced environment.

To start this discussion i should like to recall what was said on the readme about this first version: it is more a "foggy" env than real clouds and also that we cant expect a Sh5 type of clouds here. I also should like to mention about the "random" version that is inside the version 1.0 as optional. In this "random" version the foggy&fog&tiny clouds are not always there, but here and there, sometimes on, sometimes off, making the whole thing less previsible and more dynamic. And to finish, this mod is adjusted for my personal environment and could not fit well for others.

Below i will try to "reply" the 3 main questions/feedbacks that we had until now:

1. "I donīt like the "wall" fog effect all around, itīs so much near you"

- By sh3 engine limitation, the particles are generated in a restricted area around you at first - i guess that for 8km it is ok, but not for 16km env. Is always possible to put this "circle around you" here and there, changing itīs coordenates, but also with some limitations (not seen in the shipīs smoke, to note on). If we put them to much away, they will start to flick/glitch and also they will saw as a big fog ball (because they are much and big) - not really similar to a cloud or fog - or even will be just not visible at all (because they are almost white, the opposite of the shipīs smoke). Recently i tested my theory about LOD setting on scene.dat, but seems that it have not any effect, good or bad. Seeadler suggested to find a z-axis/z-buffer (or something like this) setting but I didnīt found anything similar on the particles system that could fix this "far distance" problem. For now, the unique way to avoid this "wall" fog is to have compact clouds, but it will also have the same "max. distance" limitations that was explained above.

2. "The fog/clouds are so much odd/weird at sunrise/sunset/dusk and eventually at might"

- In RL the clouds are also very dark when they are directly in front of the sun area, you can find a lot of pics of this effect on the net. The problem here is that the shape/opacity of the fog/clouds are yet worse in these situations. We can try with colors, opacity, size, density ... I can say that i have tried a lot to find a way to "fix" partially this odd color/opacity/shape problem at these sun light times, but i have not much hope that this can be fixed as we would like it. This is a wip area of the mod for sure.

3. "I donīt liked the colors/opacity at all" or "I donīt liked the shape/size of the clouds"

- This is more relevant for the guys that have tried the v2 beta, where we have a first try on the "compact" clouds.
- The colors and shadowing are very limited on the sh3īs particle system. If we acquire satisfactory colors for day ... humm ... well... they could be not that good at night or at lower sun light times. We will need a compromisse here.
- The same can be said about opacity and size of the particles. For example, to "yet" have "clouds" at optics zoom the particles needs to be small. But small particles gives not a good shape/color effect because is very difficult to adjust all them (the clouds goes quickly to a "ball" effect). Also small particles leads to a large number of particles per cloud what will kill frame rates.
- Shape is defined by the internal movement/velocity of the particles and/or layers of particles what isnīt that easy to acquire. Needs a lot of try&error, in other words, very, very time consuming task.
- Size is directly related to particles size, particles movement and particles distance what was already explained few lines above.

We yet have some other things that i like to comment:

- this mod only works now for noclouds or partial clouds, with or without light fog, because for more clouded and fogged wheather these particles will be generated almost totally behind the stock sh3 fog wall. Eventually in medium fog we yet can see a bit about it.

- the pictures that can be taken from this mod can be really fantastic or just about odd moments of it - like a lot of things (to not say anything) in sh3 world. Itīs an old and limited engine...

So, this is a wip. A small team could accelerate the work a lot. I should like to say thankyou for the generous help from some mates here, and with their help i will try to push this mod further. Sh3 is our beloved subsim game. I like very much to enhance it for my own use and obviously to contribute to our great community. This must be the spirit here.

For my initial taste - and awared about itīs limitations - Iīm already satisfied by the results as they are now, Iīm really enjoying my new "fogged/clouded" environment, itīs, for me, much better than the static one that we had before. But Iīm also very confident that we yet have much more to get from it. So, please, comment, ask, throw here yours ideas, say what you think about it (good or bad, donīt matter), this will really help our work!

Ahoy!

Rubini.

Last edited by Rubini; 10-21-13 at 02:07 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 12:45 PM   #131
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Complete explanation both for satisfied and unsatisfied users. For me this mod gives better atmosphere for the game and reading all thread I'm not alone in my opinion.
Thanks Rubini for your work.

One question about mod - is it possible to place clouds a bit higher over sea level and give them more density? Fog looks OK.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 12:55 PM   #132
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508

I agree, for me (someone who would like to mod but does not have the skills) who has been playing sh3 since it was made every mod that improves the game but may not be perfect is a great step forward. I have seen this game move forward over the years greatly. I think this mod has added something more to the game and therefore is a great mod, thankyou.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 02:56 PM   #133
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

and the question everybody is thinking...........will you release the V 2.0? Would be awesome!
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 03:20 PM   #134
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Awesome shots Flack!

Didn't think it was SH3.

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 05:33 PM   #135
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

@ flakmonkey, great shots man, awesome. You should sneak a few like that into the SH5 screenshot thread just to see if any one notices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster1 View Post
I agree, for me (someone who would like to mod but does not have the skills) who has been playing sh3 since it was made every mod that improves the game but may not be perfect is a great step forward. I have seen this game move forward over the years greatly. I think this mod has added something more to the game and therefore is a great mod, thankyou.
I wish I had said this. Exactaly how I feel. Great post Rickster1.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote