SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-11, 02:16 PM   #46
Kip336
Torpedoman

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Wow! This is awesome! Because of my laptop, I can't run the interiors mod, but this hugely makes up for it.

All the little details that are now added to my Turm, I'm actually in the sub! The cup of midwatch coffee on the pedestal, great addon

After enabling and disabling mods for an entire hour though, I did run across a (big?) problem;

I've selected a new emblem, the 4 aces one, and this happens;

It's all great to see my huge cards, but obviously it's not supposed to be that way :P

If this problem is fixed.....ah, I'm making my own emblem

For reference, my mod list;

Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
Rbs3-Lifeboatcompatibility
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
Flags And Pennants
Aces' Super Turms v6 for GWX
MaGui F
optional-stopwatch with speed lines for MaGui F
TMT v2
Aces' Super Turms v6 Damo's Type 7 Atmospheric Interior lighting add-on
Aces' Type 9 c-1 Super Turm (Turm Emblems Your Way Compat v3.2) Alt Grill + 3x MG-34 version for GWX
Turms and MAGUI Fix

Edit: Yes, the U-336 took quite of a beating. We came across some British planes. They taunted us. We had to bring the good news.
Kip336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 02:22 PM   #47
Bakkels
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 6

There is no bug here. Part of this mod is Privateer's 'Turm Emblems your way' mod.
Basically, it turns your whole conning tower into a canvas to paint your emblem on.
I believe if you look into the documentation that came with the mod, you'll find instructions on how to make a smaller emblem. There's a template .tga file somewhere in the mod that you can paint on. It's just a matter of rescaling the picture you want to have as your emblem.

This is the link to Privateer's original mod with an explanation on how to use the .tga file:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149906
Bakkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 07:47 PM   #48
Kip336
Torpedoman

Resizing might work. The problem isn't exactly solved though - all these emblems (There's lots of them) give me that problem, and it all came with the mod. AFAIK, I followed the install order. I even looked at Aces' mod list on post #1, and installed it according to that.
Old 06-13-11, 08:36 PM   #49
Bakkels
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 6

You can't just use the old emblems with this version of the mod. You have to manually re-draw the emblem you want on the template .tga file that comes with the mod.

You have got two options here;
The simple one is install 'Aces Super Turms Old Emblems Compatibility'. That'll take care of your problem. You'll have all the benefits from Aces mod, but you can just use the old emblems.

Second option is you take the template .tga that's somewhere in Aces mod, open it in a graphics program and put on the emblem you want in the size you'd like it. Then save it in the correct map (silent hunter III\data\emblems) which is a bit more work but offers more possibilities. (For example having multiple emblems, or adding an emblem in the middle of the front of your tower)
Bakkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 11:34 PM   #50
Kip336
Torpedoman

=========Disregard======
I'm using the new emblems...but I retract my statements...I'm sailing a VIIB.
-.-
Need to transfer and get an VIIC.
=========Disregard======

Tried a patrol in a VIIC, no emblem at all. Even the machine guns and my coffee (!!) disappeared :/

I'm probably over looking something really obvious...long nightshift, time for bed.

Last edited by Kip336; 06-14-11 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-14-11, 10:38 AM   #51
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 211

Hi mate,

I'm guessing that you are using a later war turm such as the type 7c2, 7c3 or 7c4. The MGs. coffee cup etc.feature on the 7b1, 7b2, 7c1 and 9c1 turms. If you want a 7c1 turm the start a carreer in 1940/1941 and you will get this turm. There are loads of emblems supplied with the mod for the 7bs and 7c1s for you to use and, as Bakkels kindly mentioned there are templates for the type 7b1, 7b2, 7c1 and 9c1 included with the mod as well as documentation on how to make your own emblems if you wish.

Kind regards

Aces
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 11:21 AM   #52
Kip336
Torpedoman

Hey Aces

Thanks for the info. I reloaded my usual save, and I can confirm using a 7b/1 Turm, hence the MG34s, the coffee and everything else showing.

That still leaves the question on how my emblems are so out of proportion?
Old 06-14-11, 11:58 AM   #53
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Hi mate,

After you install the Super Turms mod you will find installed loads of emblems with the u-boat type and number eg. (from memory) u-123 type 7-c1 etc. use one of these emblems acording to the type of boat you are using in your campaign eg. type 7b for type 7bs, type 7c for type 7c1 etc. and NOT the old (original) emblems eg. those with names like Viking Shield or whatever. If you use one of the old emblems with one of the turms in the mod you will get exactly the effect that you show in your screenshot. If you choose to make one for yourself then use the appropriate template for the boat type 7b, 7c1 etc. and follow the instructions provided in the mod for placing your graphic(s). Then select it as I mentioned above.

Best Regards

Aces
Old 06-14-11, 02:19 PM   #54
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
Hi mate,

After you install the Super Turms mod you will find installed loads of emblems with the u-boat type and number eg. (from memory) u-123 type 7-c1 etc. use one of these emblems acording to the type of boat you are using in your campaign eg. type 7b for type 7bs, type 7c for type 7c1 etc. and NOT the old (original) emblems eg. those with names like Viking Shield or whatever. If you use one of the old emblems with one of the turms in the mod you will get exactly the effect that you show in your screenshot. If you choose to make one for yourself then use the appropriate template for the boat type 7b, 7c1 etc. and follow the instructions provided in the mod for placing your graphic(s). Then select it as I mentioned above.

Best Regards

Aces
Hi Aces !

A question to the "emblems your way" for type VII: Understand I right, that I can´t use an emblem, that has "7C" in the File-name, when I use a VIIB Sub ? Or with other words, for an VIIB Sub I can ONLY use the emblems with "7b" in the file-name, and this similar for an VIIC (ONLY emblems with 7C in the file-name), right ?

Best regards mate,
Magic
Old 06-14-11, 02:28 PM   #55
Kip336
Torpedoman

Aahhhh! It works! Thanks Ace
Old 06-14-11, 03:21 PM   #56
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Hi Magic,

Yes, that's correct, Pvt. Godfrey and Tarjack used Privateer's templates to produce their emblems, each template, 7b1, 7b2, 7c1 and now 9c1 is for the appropriate turm as the turm exterior models are different in shape, thus the templates are different too. If you use a 7b-1 emblem file on a 7c1 turm or vice-versa etc. it won 't display correctly, it won't "Wrap around the 3d model correctly" that is how "Turm Emblems Your Way" is designed. You can use any of the template TGA files re-saved under an appropriate name for designs of your own, make sure to replace the background colour to black once you have scaled and positioned your emblem(s) as any area that are black are rendered as transparent, so you should just have your emblem graphics against a solid black (RGB 0,0,,0,) background and not the turm outlines, they are only there for guidance in positioning your graphics. If you don't do that you will get some strange looking results. What I usually do is add a new layer for the emblem(s) so that I can tweak the positioning and scaling etc., I can then save a .psd file so that, if neccessary, I can easy tweak this layer once I've tried the emblem tga file in-game and then re-save any changes to the tga.

Edit: PS. There are two 7b templates, 7b-1 and 7b-2 and also pre-made emblem files for 7b-1 and 7-b2 equipped boat so if an emblem exists for both 7b-1 and 7-b2 boats, use the appropriate one and change it if you upgrade (oir downgrade) the turm from 7b-1 to 7b-2/ vice-versa.

@Kip336, glad you are sorted now, hope you enjoy th4e mods.

Regards to all

Aces

Last edited by Aces; 06-14-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-15-11, 01:31 AM   #57
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hi Magic,

Yes, that's correct, Pvt. Godfrey and Tarjack used Privateer's templates to produce their emblems, each template, 7b1, 7b2, 7c1 and now 9c1 is for the appropriate turm as the turm exterior models are different in shape, thus the templates are different too. If you use a 7b-1 emblem file on a 7c1 turm or vice-versa etc. it won 't display correctly, it won't "Wrap around the 3d model correctly" that is how "Turm Emblems Your Way" is designed. You can use any of the template TGA files re-saved under an appropriate name for designs of your own, make sure to replace the background colour to black once you have scaled and positioned your emblem(s) as any area that are black are rendered as transparent, so you should just have your emblem graphics against a solid black (RGB 0,0,,0,) background and not the turm outlines, they are only there for guidance in positioning your graphics. If you don't do that you will get some strange looking results. What I usually do is add a new layer for the emblem(s) so that I can tweak the positioning and scaling etc., I can then save a .psd file so that, if neccessary, I can easy tweak this layer once I've tried the emblem tga file in-game and then re-save any changes to the tga.

Edit: PS. There are two 7b templates, 7b-1 and 7b-2 and also pre-made emblem files for 7b-1 and 7-b2 equipped boat so if an emblem exists for both 7b-1 and 7-b2 boats, use the appropriate one and change it if you upgrade (oir downgrade) the turm from 7b-1 to 7b-2/ vice-versa.

@Kip336, glad you are sorted now, hope you enjoy th4e mods.

Regards to all

Aces
Hi Aces,

many thanks for your detailed explanation !!!

Best regards my friend,
Magic
Old 06-15-11, 02:33 AM   #58
Aces
Ace of the Deep

My pleasure my friend,

For those with an interest in such things, this is how it works. Each of the original turm models has a "sub object" in the 3d model which consists of a square shaped flat surface positioned either side of the turm, sort of like a board stuck on either side. This object accepts a texture determined by the value of "cfg#E01" which is written in the u-boat's equipment file once you have chosen an emblem. So, if you choose one of the "normal" square TGA emblem files then the name of the file is written to the equipment file and used as the value of "cfg#E01" and thus displayed in the game. If you open any of the turm files in S3ditor etc. eg. the 9c-1 turm, then you will see that the 3d model labelled "Turm9c_1_coning9c_High" in this example has just such a black square area either side of the tower. As I mentioned in my previous posting, black = transparent so if you don 't choose an emblem (or, amusingly, you chose to create and select a totally black (RGB: 0.0.0) emblem ) then these square areas remain invisible so avoid using Black: RGB 0.0.0 in your emblem colours if you design your own emblem!, use a near black eg. RGB 0.0.1, RGB 1.0.0 etc. instead, trust me, unless you have the bionic eyesight of the six-million dollar man you won't see the difference.

You can see one of the two black "squares" on the side of the turm in the picture below near the green navigation light.

Now for the clever stuff, rather than just be restricted to just the square-shaped sub objects Privateer very cleverly replaced this sub-object with a new one which is shaped like the whole of the outside of the turm, it fits like a skin on top of the turm. The rest operates in exactly the same way as described eg. the "cfg#E01" graphic is now displayed on the new sub-object. This is clever because everything remains the same in the method for choosing emblems and displaying them.

Compare the above picture with the one below of the same turm but with Privateer's object, you will see how you have a much greater area to display your emblem graphics. You can see that if you choose one of the "old style" game emblems which are designed to be displayed in the black area shown in the first picture than it will now be displayed in the black area shown in the picture below and thus the old emblems are not compatible.

I used pretty much the same technique to add the engine grills to the type 9c1 turms, eg. I created a new sub-object of the back/sides of the wintergarten end of the turm (which in the case of the turm emblems your way versions "fits" between the turm sub-object and privateer's sub-object) and a new graphic of the grills but instead of a user selected config item I used a texture with alpha channel transparency. I've also done the same with the emblems displayed on the docked type 7 subs in my Super Pens mod, eg. the same emblem files but with alpha transparency rather than a black background as they don't use any player-selected config items and thus need to have "hard-wired" transparency. I was very excited when I first saw Privateer's "Turm Emblems Your Way" and, when I first started work on what was to become the Super Turms project it was a "must have" to be incorporated with the other must have mods that altered the type 7c-1 turm dat file such as Anvart's and Flakmonkey's work with the DF Antenna/Flags, Pennants, exterior lightmaps, twisty periscope etc.. A while back I was bemoaning to myself the fact that I could enjoy the new emblems and only the new emblems or the new lightmaps and only the new lightmaps or the DF antenna, flags, pennant on their own etc., that's why I wanted to try and bring them all together in the first place so that I could enjoy the work of all these great modders at the same time.

Kind regards

Aces

Last edited by Aces; 06-15-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-15-11, 03:31 AM   #59
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
My pleasure my friend,

For those with an interest in such things, this is how it works. Each of the original turm models has a "sub object" in the 3d model which consists of a square shaped flat surface positioned either side of the turm, sort of like a board bolted on either side. This object accepts a texture determined by the value of "cfg#E01" which is written in the boats equipment file once you have chosen an emblem. So, if you choose one of the "normal" square TGA emblem files then the name of the file is written to the equipment file and used as the value of "cfg#E01" and thus displayed in the game. If you open any of the turm files in S3ditor etc. eg. the 9c-1 turm, then you will see that the 3d model labelled "Turm9c_1_coning9c_High" in this example has just such a black square area either side of the tower. As I mentioned in my previous posting, black = transparent so if you don 't choose an emblem then these square areas remain invisible.

You can see one of the two black "squares" on the side of the turm in the picture below near the green navigation light.

Now for the clever stuff, rather than just be restricted to just the square-shaped sub objects Privateer very cleverly replaced this sub-object with a new one which is shaped like the whole of the outside of the turm, it fits like a skin on top of the turm. The rest operates in exactly the same way as described eg. the "cfg#E01" graphic is now displayed on the new sub-object. This is clever because everything remains the same in the method for choosing emblems and displaying them.

Compare the above picture with the one below of the same turm but with Privateer's object, you will see how you have a much greater area to display your emblem graphics. You can see that if you choose one of the "old style" game emblems which are designed to be displayed in the black area shown in the first picture than it will now be displayed in the black area shown in the picture below and thus the old emblems are not compatible.

I used pretty much the same technique to add the engine grills to the type 9c1 turms, eg. a new sub-object of the back/sides of the wintergarten end of the turm (which in the case of the turm emblems your way versions "fits" between the turm sub-object and privateer's sub-object) and a new graphic of the grills but instead of a user selected config item I used a texture with alpha channel transparency. I've also done the same with the emblems displayed on the docked type 7 subs in my Super Pens mod, eg. the same emblem files but with alpha transparency rather than a black background as they don't use any player-selected config items and thus need to have "hard-wired" transparency. I was very excited when I first saw Privateer's "Turm Emblems Your Way" and, when I first started work on what was to become the Super Turms project it was a "must have" to be incorporated with the other mods that altered the type 7c-1 turm dat file such as Anvart's and Flakmonkey's work with the DF Antenna/Flags, Pennants, exterior lightmaps, twisty periscope etc.. A while back I was bemoaning to myself the fact that I could enjoy the new emblems and only the new emblems or the new lightmaps and only the new lightmaps or the DF antenna, flags, pennant on their own etc., that's why I wanted to try and bring them all together in the first place so that I could enjoy the work of all these great modders at the same time.

Kind regards

Aces
Hi my Friend !

Thanks again, very, very interesting information !!!!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 06-15-11, 05:42 PM   #60
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Nice job Aces.
Just one thing to mention.
The emblem does not need to have a black background.
As long as the background you want transparent matches the upper-left pixel it will be transparent.
So it can be any color you wish.
Look at the existing emblems and you'll notice this.