Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-19, 03:33 AM   #7756
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

- Create a new (Kurdish) nation-state to fight ISIS and oppose Assad.
- This new nation state theatens sovereighnity and territorial integrity of all existing states in the region (Syria, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, maybe others) due to having claims on their lands, some of those states are long established US allies and/or are balancing into falling under other's influence.
- Get surprised that none of the local states like the idea of Kurdish nation-state.
- Get outraged when local states react the same way they did to such a state (atleast Iraqis are not gassing them... not yet anyway).
- Push US allies to other partners.

To me it sounds like the well meaning western white man is shooting himself in the foot with hubris of imperialism again.

And lets assume that Kurdish nation-state becomes a thing by some miracle, it is going to be like Israel but worse:
- it is a landlocked country surrounded by enemies
- probably a center of instability, waging wars often
- probably discriminating/cleansing non Kurds due to it being an ethnostate with grievances
Old 10-14-19, 04:17 AM   #7757
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Create a new (Kurdish) nation-state to fight ISIS and oppose Assad. [...]
This is how it should be
Unfortunately what then happens is what you described after this first line.

And why "create" a nation state? Plain imperialism again.
How did 'nations' or 'states' emerge initially?
What we have from Afghanistan to the middle east (and worldwide) is the result of imperialism and colonies. England created borders across peoples territories in this region, England declared it to be "right" or "wrong".
Let them sort out the mess they created, and in which we have to live today.

Think about how and why the nation of Armenia (thanks Ikalugin ) even exists today, and Russia's role.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 10-14-19 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-14-19, 04:22 AM   #7758
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

You mean Armenia?

Ironically I am not against the idea of supporting Kurds in general, I am just pointing out that Turkish reaction that people find unpleasant is the result of the Western action and thus this outrage is... silly?
Old 10-14-19, 05:41 AM   #7759
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Interesting comments by Sen. Rand Paul on NBC's "Meet the Press".

Quote:
..this is a hundred year old war between the Turks and the Kurds. Realize the president is asking is it in our national security interest to somehow figure out how the Kurds can live with the Turks?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...the_kurds.html

Quote:
So there is this long history. And the question we have to ask is, and I have to ask, am I going to send the sons and daughters of America and mothers and fathers, and I'm to send them there to die to try to figure out how the Kurds and the Turks can get along? And I don't see that in our national interest. And we should vote on it. We should vote on it in congress and declare war if that's what people want.
Quote:
But what I would say is this, we have to debate in congress. We are -- my oath is to the constitution. My oath isn't as to some promise that somebody thinks we made for a Kurdish homeland. We should vote. And here's the reason why we won't vote, they don't know who to declare war on?

Are we going to declare war on Turkey? We're going to declare war on the Free Syrian Army, which was our ally for seven years. Are we going to declare war on Assad?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 10-14-19, 06:46 AM   #7760
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

add to the fact Turkey views all kurdush factions as terrorist organizations. are we then expected to support these terrorists organized against a member of NATO?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 10-14-19, 07:27 AM   #7761
Catfish

I have always wondered .. Erdoghan who abolishes democracy, erects a dictatorship and leads his(ownership!) country as a dictator.
This Erdoghan describes all Kurds as terrorists.
And the well-meaning and ethically so superior West believes him.
Because, Nato-member.
Because holding back refugees, from Europe.
Because after the Kurds finished off the IS, the Kurds can go to hell.
Moral superiority..

The real morale: Think twice with whom you ally, this message has been heard loud and clear.

Old 10-14-19, 07:44 AM   #7762
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I have always wondered .. Erdoghan who abolishes democracy, erects a dictatorship and leads his(ownership!) country as a dictator.
Because, Nato-member.
Moral superiority..

The real morale: Think twice with whom you ally, this message has been heard loud and clear.
its a confusing, convoluted, hazy, grey area, that nobody here really understands. Why? because we are to believe the consistent bombardment of petty arguements over trival emotionally charged subjects and party loyalty are more important. Hard to keep our leaders accountable when we dont take the time too understand the reality of middle east affairs ourselves. Instead we just spend our days insulting each other and posting stupid memes.

Oh btw, vote odin.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-14-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-14-19, 08:33 AM   #7763
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Because, Nato-member.
Moral superiority..

Because West created the problem of the Kurdish sovereighnity.
Old 10-14-19, 09:10 AM   #7764
Catfish

I would rather say "The West" was the first to take Kurdish sovereignty seriously. Or better pretended to, while the Kurds were useful.
Just like with the Arabians (England), or Saddam Hussein's Iraq (USA) and so on.

I just realized this is exactly what you said

Old 10-14-19, 09:32 AM   #7765
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Amazing how these doves suddenly turn into war hawks when it's not their guy pulling our troops out of foreign entanglements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
its a confusing, convoluted, hazy, grey area, that nobody here really understands. Why? because we are to believe the consistent bombardment of petty arguements over trival emotionally charged subjects and party loyalty are more important. Hard to keep our leaders accountable when we dont take the time too understand the reality of middle east affairs ourselves. Instead we just spend our days insulting each other and posting stupid memes.

Oh btw, vote odin.
August understands why ... The Doves are raising up their ugly heads
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 10-14-19, 07:40 PM   #7766
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Nuke

Seems money that can be made off of oil and gas in the Ukraine is not limited to just VP Biden's son.

Nancy Pelosi's son Pelosi Jr is on the board of Viscoil and an executive at NRGLab which is involved in the energy business in the Ukraine.

Just a little odd that's all ... Members of our upper elite have been making money on the side for years.

Wouldn't this qualify as part of the swamp?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 10-14-19, 09:44 PM   #7767
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Seems money that can be made off of oil and gas in the Ukraine is not limited to just VP Biden's son.

Nancy Pelosi's son Pelosi Jr is on the board of Viscoil and an executive at NRGLab which is involved in the energy business in the Ukraine.

Just a little odd that's all ... Members of our upper elite have been making money on the side for years.

Wouldn't this qualify as part of the swamp?

How much money has Trumps daughter and her husband made since being made advisors to the President, and haven't done crap. Over $80 Million in 3 years. So time to get off your pulpit, but Republicans area all above board and do no wrong! They are just adding to your stinking swamp homeboy!

Al Capone
Old 10-14-19, 11:10 PM   #7768
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
How much money has Trumps daughter and her husband made since being made advisors to the President, and haven't done crap. Over $80 Million in 3 years. So time to get off your pulpit, but Republicans area all above board and do no wrong! They are just adding to your stinking swamp homeboy!
Before I take your word for it, how about citing some sources for your information? there's a world of difference between a blind trust and being an active board member of a corporation.
Old 10-15-19, 03:51 AM   #7769
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

One picture is worth a thousand words...

All the President's Profiting --

https://www.opensecrets.org/trump/trump-properties

Seems like the presidency has been a boon to the Trump family enterprises; going from well under USD $1,000,000 to high multiples following his run for office isn't at all suspicious or give the appearance of a possible conflict of interest...

Note the nose dive the amounts took after 2016: could it be those who had been so eager to patronize the Trumps in 2016 decided that maybe it wasn't in their best interests to be associated with the semblance of graft or with the taint that become the hallmark of the Trump regime?...

Remember, every time The Fraudfather goes to Trump tower, or Mar-a-lago, or any of the other Trump properties he and his spawn insist on staying at, those properties bill back to the US Government for all the services and goods used by the Trumps, their minions, guest, and even the Secret Service; Trump family businesses are actually making a tidy profit every time they go to their own properties and bill us, the taxpayers, for their luxuries; if you recall, the in May of 2019, Trump met with the Irish Prime Minister, in Ireland, and they had their meeting in the VIP Lounge at Shannon Airport; the Irish PM had wanted to host Trump at an Irish Government owned castle, where other prior Presidents had been hosted, but Trump insisted the meeting be held at the Trump golf course and hotel in Doonbeg; the PM nixed the idea, most likely because the Irish Government would be billed but the Trump facility and hosting at the castle would be essentially free; so, the airport VIP Lounge it was...

President Trump will meet the Irish prime minister — at the airport --

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/5/29/...hannon-airport

Add to the equations how many of the US government personnel and events have been 'innocently' steered to Trump properties and the air of 'innocence' turns into the acrid stench of graft...

...and this just the tip of the iceberg; add in how, for example, Kushner, Don Jr, and Ivanka, among others in the Trump organization, have been using their positions in the White House to get taxpayer-billed transportation to ostensibly engage in 'official government business' while also making use of those trips to conduct Trump family business meetings; Kusher, alone, has cost the US taxpayers a tidy sum when he makes those trips to Saudi Arabia and finds it convenient to conduct family business with their Saudi business partners...

I do know one thing for an absolute certainty: if Obama and his family, or the Clintons, were engaged in this sort of ripping off of the taxpayers, the GOP would be up on their hind legs, howling loudly in protest and demanding an impeachment. Anybody think that wouldn't happen?...

<O>
Old 10-15-19, 04:07 AM   #7770
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Before I take your word for it, how about citing some sources for your information? there's a world of difference between a blind trust and being an active board member of a corporation.

Would this do?...

How Don Jr., Ivanka, and Eric Trump Have Profited Off Their Dad's Presidency --

https://www.gq.com/story/trump-kids-profit-presidency

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner made as much as $135m last year --

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ue-income-2018

Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump made at least $82 million in outside income last year while serving in the White House, filings show --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...569_story.html

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner Made $82 Million While Working in the White House Last Year --

https://fortune.com/2018/06/11/ivank...g-white-house/

...and, of course, Daddy's gotta get a taste:

Ka-Ching - Donald Trump is raking in big bucks from emoluments foreign and domestic. ---

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...count-the-ways

Let us know if you need more; there's tons of this information out there in the real world beyond Fox News...

<O>

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter