SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-20, 11:06 AM   #1
DingoBob
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Why can I not designate tragets in LWAMI unless they are extremely close?

Over the years, I have tried time and time again again to get into LWAMI. I love the concept of a more realistic simulation. I love RA mod, but I always want to try something different and more realistic. Every time I have tried, I am unable to designate any contact that is not very loud. I've tried so many times, and I'm at my wits end with this. I've given up on this mod many times because of this. Does anyone know what the issue is?

Here's an image of my issue:

https://imgur.com/a/93Cn0K9

I can designate the extremely close contact on the left, but not the still prominent contact at 166. Why?
DingoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 11:19 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Unfortunately it's just a side effect of LwAmi. Here's an excerpt from the manual, which I highly suggest you read, it's full of awesome info of how the game works at a program level. You can find it in the "Manual" folder of your Dangerous Waters game directory (assuming LwAmi is active of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwAmi 3.11 Manual
LWAMI increases the sensitivity of the Spherical/Cylindrical and Hull/Conformal arrays relative to towed arrays. This makes these arrays much more useful than before and conforms better to real-world performance. The change is seen most at the Broadband station—range is increased significantly, and some contacts may appear on Broadband sphere before Narrowband sphere. Note that some faint Broadband contacts may not be markable until they get a little bit closer (this issue is present in stock DW, but because of the increased sensitivity, it is encountered more frequently with LWAMI).

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 06:21 AM   #3
DingoBob
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Unfortunately it's just a side effect of LwAmi. Here's an excerpt from the manual, which I highly suggest you read, it's full of awesome info of how the game works at a program level. You can find it in the "Manual" folder of your Dangerous Waters game directory (assuming LwAmi is active of course).

Thanks for the reply FPSchazly, I'm a fan of your channel! I assumed it was a bug, but the explanation makes sense. I'll be sure to give the manual a read, I had no idea it included such detailed info.
DingoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 07:54 AM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

You're welcome and thank you, I'm glad you like my channel! I've talked about how great the LwAmi manual is so much on streams, I should probably just make a video where I go over what I think are the coolest parts.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 01:20 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoBob View Post
I love RA mod, but I always want to try something different and more realistic
Why you think LwAmi is more "realistic"?

Quote:
and some contacts may appear on Broadband sphere before Narrowband sphere
It proves LwAmi is NOT more realistic because in real narrowband contact is visible much earlier than broadband.