SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-20, 10:23 AM   #1771
Guts
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default DW crashes on Start-up

I've downloaded a Steam version of DW and RA Mod'ed it but it crashed
Old 10-26-20, 03:08 PM   #1772
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
I've downloaded a Steam version of DW and RA Mod'ed it but it crashed

maybe this helps? I'm sorry its in French, but its all I could find. auto-translate subtitles might help.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 02:34 PM   #1773
Guts
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Default Thank you

Thanks mate
Old 02-28-21, 06:05 PM   #1774
TimeBandit
Swabbie

Downloads: 70
Default Sonar vs. Radar

Aloha all. I'm sure this has been asked frequently however, i'm really interested in learning more about when to use Sonar vs. when to use Radar and what goes into that decision process. I've seen several videos on How to Use them, but more interested in when. Any links would be appreciated.
TimeBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 09:05 PM   #1775
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

RADAR- Everyone knows when you use it but its accurate range and bearing data. Your platform must be surfaced to use it.

SONAR- Passive relies on TMA to generate a solution, all you can (mostly) rely on is semi-accurate bearing data and contact ID plus an accurate idea of speed based on blade count. Active is like RADAR, everyone knows you're out there.

Visual- Accurate bearing data plus limited range data plus relative target motion (which way are they pointed?) and identification. Limited to either on the surface or close to it. Mast can be spotted visually or with a tight enough RADAR.

ESM- Like Visual but much longer (OTH) range. Bearing data is fair to poor but contact ID is very good. "Strong" contact doesn't mean "close" but that their RADAR can pick you up.

You use these sensors alone or combined to generate an accurate TMA solution while getting an over-all picture of your tactical situation. Which sensor(s) you use depends on your tactical situation.

TMA relies on changes to bearing rate data, its easier to track a target from the side than from dead astern. Generate a TMA solution then change course and/or speed. Note how the TMA solution falls apart (or doesn't) to make refinements to your target track.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 12:13 AM   #1776
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

BTW, a couple of things we tend to take for granted:

Initial conditions- When picking up a new contact, that contact is travelling on a constant course and speed. The contact is also closing in terms of relative distance.

Constant course and speed is just the way ships operate 95% of the time. You started out somewhere and you want to go somewhere else.

Always assume the contact is closing in terms of distance. Your scopes were clear ten minutes ago and now they.. aren't. Something changed, in this case the contact is getting close enough to be detected.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 02:46 AM   #1777
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

TimeBandit!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 11:24 PM   #1778
TimeBandit
Swabbie

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
TimeBandit!
Thanks Aktungbby
TimeBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-21, 12:32 PM   #1779
Badger343rd
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 3

I'm running tracking the Boomer in multiplayer(I'm using two computers) I'm not getting any messages...I've tracked him both long range and short, but no weapons release message(single player gives you message to go retrieve messages). what are the conditions for getting engagement permissions in this mission?

Last edited by Badger343rd; 03-19-21 at 12:42 PM.
Badger343rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 07:09 PM   #1780
Coral
Seaman

Downloads: 142

Today I noticed for the first time on the RA site a download folder titled "DWX_SC_Camp_Brief". The folder contains numerous scenarios. Are they different from the stock RA 1.50 scenarios and if so why are they not included in the stock download?
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-21, 07:49 AM   #1781
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

Hi everyone. For those few who are still playing DW under RA mod, I have a little gift for you. Since the last patch, I noticed a lot inconsistency and discrepancy in the object database files. Just to name a few:
1. Some of the prominent SAM missiles such as SA-n-10 (this is a misnomer and I think they meant sa-n-20) and SA-n-21, which are essentially famous S300 and S400 cannot engage anti-ship missiles
2. SM2MR and SM2ER have two vast different effectiveness for 2 essentially same missiles (80% vs 50% respectively). This is the case for a lot of the American and Russian missiles.
3. Su-57 and F-22, two world's premier stealth fighters, have such high radar signal profiles that they can be detected and shot down by ship borne SAMs more than 40 nmi away.

On top of all these, a lot of American and Russian VLS capable ships cannot launch SAM missile vertically. (Don't tell me the vertical launches bug out things and that's why they are disabled. If that's the case, why some of the newly added ships can do the vertical launch? I believe some of the original ships such as Tico, Burke, Kirov and Slava are just being neglected when the mod team's attention was mainly focused on the newly added ships. Use my new database files, you will see VLS is NOT an issue.)

I did a comprehensive scrub of the database file and these new database files address many of these issues. I have shared my files on RA forum. I cannot attach zip files in this forum, but if you would like to try it please PM me.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-21, 08:51 PM   #1782
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Quote:
I did a comprehensive scrub of the database file and these new database files address many of these issues. I have shared my files on RA forum. I cannot attach zip files in this forum, but if you would like to try it please PM me.
Hey Wolfcat,

For sure you have engaged yourself in the serious task of going through the database and cleaning it out that "unreal" data. It is impressive, but I need to mention here (which curiously you are NOT) the comment of the main creator of RA Crazy Ivan about your work.

According to him, indeed some of the data are incorrect or false in the database, but unfortunately, they are as such for the very reason that the physics of the DW game would not allow them to be otherwise. So to put in other words if you change those data for the game entities as you did, they will not function in the DW simulation properly.

Should you not put this disclaimer or mention this word of caution here before you share your otherwise diligent work with unsuspecting others?
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 03:02 AM   #1783
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

So I recently did a clean install of DW and then RA and whenever I try to use the MH-60, loading gets to 90% then stops responding. Missions, quick Missions, anything. All other platforms seem to work fine, even other helos. Any ideas?

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-22, 05:11 PM   #1784
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104

I've noticed a couple discrepancies concerning the Virginia class US sub in the USNI reference files.

For the Virginia class, the starboard and port towed array names appear to be accidentally swapped in the ownship section reference page.

Also, the RA mod lists the Virginia's SPHERE sonar to be slightly more sensitive than the Seawolf's SPHERE sonar, but with a lower washout max speed.
I thought that the Virginia was designed to have better sensors than the Seawolf?
Its HULL sonar isn't as good as the Seawolf's, and it has a lower washout max speed for its WAA vs the Seawolf's WAA.

(data taken from the RA mod USNI reference pages. Speed in kts are usable max speed before washout, and the number after is the SNR, i.e. -13)

It doesn't specifically list it in the USNI reference area, but the Virginia is supposed to have the BQQ-10(v4) sonar suite, which is the exact same suite that the 688i has, according to internet sources like those below:

Virginia specifications - https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/nssn/

688i specifications - https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/la/

If that's true, why aren't the MF Active, Sphere, and Flank (hull) sonar values the same?
I don't know if the BQQ-10 suite is supposed to be better than the Seawolf's BSY-2 suite, but in the stock 1.04 DW version, the Seawolf could passively hear a lot further with its sonar than the 688i could.

I would expect the Virginia to improve on that sensor range, but I don't know how to verify if the RA mod actually did that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub data.JPG (55.4 KB, 44 views)
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-22, 07:42 PM   #1785
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104

Is RA discussion happening elsewhere more frequently? No one seems to frequent this thread much.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reinforce alert