SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-21, 02:52 PM   #1
OldTrawler
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default What has happened?

Good day everyone.
What has happened? I was enjoying the game last night for several hours. I shut it down, turned off the computer, called it a day. I start the computer this morning, all goes as it should but Silent hunter III refuses to load. Loading bar gets to about 1/4 of the way and just returns to the desktop. NOTHING HAS BEEN CHANGED. It was working perfectly last night. All other programs are working.
Please, I could use some help. I looked through the forums and tried the suggestions there but they do not resolve the issue.
OldTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 03:02 PM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTrawler View Post
Good day everyone.
What has happened? I was enjoying the game last night for several hours. I shut it down, turned off the computer, called it a day. I start the computer this morning, all goes as it should but Silent hunter III refuses to load. Loading bar gets to about 1/4 of the way and just returns to the desktop. NOTHING HAS BEEN CHANGED. It was working perfectly last night. All other programs are working.
Please, I could use some help. I looked through the forums and tried the suggestions there but they do not resolve the issue.
Is this a relatively new install, or an older one that has been problem free for awhile ? Also, post your mod list.
Old 10-26-21, 03:36 PM   #3
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi OldTrawler is your SH3 Steam install or Dvd ill send you a Link to Download my Dvd Version of my SH3 Revival Disc thats now considered abandonware by Ubisoft this version already patched to 1.4 if you need to reinstall SH3 you will also need 7zip to unpack SH3 Folder Pm sent Sir

Last edited by blackswan40; 10-27-21 at 04:39 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 04:35 PM   #4
OldTrawler
Watch

Default What has happened.

Thank you both for the quick response. I’ve had the game about 4-5 weeks. It is the Steam version and I’m running it on a Windows10 machine. The only mod that I installed was the diego_gut DGUI 1920x1080 for SH3 (not the hardcore ver.) and I used the JSGME to install it. I followed the instructions to the “T” and it has been working beautifully ever since until today. Just prior to receiving your replies I tried deleting all the files in the documents folder and uninstalling the DGUI mod. That has allowed me to load the game but when I try to run a single mission the load screen appears, the loading bar shows complete, the black screen with the word “Initializing” appears and what should be the 3D view of the command room screen only shows a blacked out screen with the icons along the bottom and the phrase “Game Paused.” I have to use the ESC key twice to return to the menu screen. Please help understand what is going on.
Old 10-26-21, 05:13 PM   #5
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi OldTrawler you must ensure that theres no fragments of you old install ensure its all deleted.

then install the SH3 Download from the Link i sent you make a Games folder on Drive C:/ but outside program/Files x86 once downloaded and unpacked in your Games Folder run SH3 and just start a single mission that makes a SH3 Folder in your documents for all your carrer saves once you know your new SH3 Works then Mod it as you see fit.
you may need to install the 4Gig Patch download Link Below

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 10:33 PM   #6
OldTrawler
Watch

Sir BlackSwan40, I thank you for your effort to help. I have replied to your personal message. I'm going to back off for awhile as this has been a very trying, tiring, frustrating day. Many many thanks to all who have tried to help. It is very much appreciated.
Old 10-26-21, 11:25 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTrawler View Post
Sir BlackSwan40, I thank you for your effort to help. I have replied to your personal message. I'm going to back off for awhile as this has been a very trying, tiring, frustrating day. Many many thanks to all who have tried to help. It is very much appreciated.
The "game paused", is a bug that crops up... it involves the main.cfg, located in your save folder for SH3 (name of that save folder, dependent if you mod it & use multish3 to have a separate game save folder... on how it is named there ) locate that & check the main.cfg file there...

What happens is.. for some odd reason, the .cfg file, loses the Time Compression settings... & locks up in perpetual "paused" mode.

Copying those, from the main.cfg, located in the main install location in Data\CFG folder... then copying from there & pasting them in the exact location in the main.cfg file located in your game saves folder... should resolve the issue of the game being locked in perpetual "game paused' mode...

Hope this helps..

M. M.
Old 10-27-21, 04:35 PM   #8
OldTrawler
Watch

Default Whoo-hooo

Yes! I discovered that today after several hours of contemplation and testing. I renamed the new files the game created and restored the old files and compared them. The only two I could look at were the cfg files. So I began with the obvious one - the main.cfg - and badah-bing, badah-boom; I'm back in the saddle. I then restored the DGUI 1920x1080 mod and it worked. I've saved and exited and shut down the computer several times to ensure it works and it does. The only logical conclusion I can come to is that either the replay.tmp or save.tmp files (binary files) were corrupted when I exited the program on the 25th and why the game would not start on the 26th.
I would like to give a big thank you for all of you that tried to help me resolve this problem. It is greatly appreciated. Now back to patrolling the cold waters of the Atlantic.