SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-19, 01:34 AM   #1
THEGAMETIPER
Watch

Downloads: 292
Uploads: 0
Default land units and sh5 question

to all modders I been playing silent hunter 3 then 4 now 5 and I noticed something is un fair and I find it well sick.

we can shoot planes in the games we can blow up ships and lifeboats blow up stations on ships.

but land units even land based cannons that are shooting at us.
is there a way to set it up so they can be destroyed too?

and if anyone plays silent hunter 5 do any of you keep getting kicked off due to pop up ads and lose where you were??
THEGAMETIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 02:49 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

SH5 has not real working land units; according to TDW who once looked into the issue, their part of code is buggy, so they are a purely cosmetic feature.

A few years ago I and vdr1981 worked on some functional coastal gun emplacements for SH5 that are actually floating gun platforms (i.e. sea units), but due to their big mass and their big drag don't swing/roll. They are now part of TWoS. Indeed they fire against any enemy unit transiting their field of fire, and if memory serves me well they take damage too, though aiming at their vulnerable spots while being fired on is not an easy task.

Answering your question, I think any SHIII/IV/5 land unit can be made destroyable as far as it is given the opportune controllers, though some of them might need an invisible 3D damage mesh added to their main model.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 04:23 PM   #3
THEGAMETIPER
Watch

Downloads: 292
Uploads: 0

the reason I asked is in all the silent hunter games I target the sea cannon aka coastal bunkers and hit them and nothing happens they still shoot.
I try to blow up the fuel tanks on land nothing buildings cranes ect.
nothing its like your shooting blanks at it but you can take out cargo on a ship guns smoke flutes things like that.
everything else on the map nope.

can you picture coastal guns or buildings at a seaport even a factory blasted by a shelling. and see the base in ruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
SH5 has not real working land units; according to TDW who once looked into the issue, their part of code is buggy, so they are a purely cosmetic feature.

A few years ago I and vdr1981 worked on some functional coastal gun emplacements for SH5 that are actually floating gun platforms (i.e. sea units), but due to their big mass and their big drag don't swing/roll. They are now part of TWoS. Indeed they fire against any enemy unit transiting their field of fire, and if memory serves me well they take damage too, though aiming at their vulnerable spots while being fired on is not an easy task.

Answering your question, I think any SHIII/IV/5 land unit can be made destroyable as far as it is given the opportune controllers, though some of them might need an invisible 3D damage mesh added to their main model.
THEGAMETIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 06:41 PM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGAMETIPER View Post
the reason I asked is in all the silent hunter games I target the sea cannon aka coastal bunkers and hit them and nothing happens they still shoot.
I try to blow up the fuel tanks on land nothing buildings cranes ect.
nothing its like your shooting blanks at it but you can take out cargo on a ship guns smoke flutes things like that.
everything else on the map nope.

can you picture coastal guns or buildings at a seaport even a factory blasted by a shelling. and see the base in ruins
A difference must be made between proper land units that can be placed in game through Mission Editor and normal terrain objects that instead are handled by Terrain Editor. The latter are just scenery objects and they are there just for eye candy. In that category fall most port structures and cities we see in game. Those objects are indeed collisionable, but they don't get any damage, they are not supposed to, and I don't think we can make them to do so, unless we convert as units.

Terrain objects on their end are just like any other unit when it comes to damage, though so far not many modders have cared setting them up for actually being destroyed by enemy fire. Besides coastal bunkers/gun emplacements, airfield and naval bases also belong to this category, though they miss a 3D model, so there is nothing that can be damaged in them (but in theory they could be made into full-fledged 3D units too).

Still grabbing an example from my own modding experience, once I worked with Kendras on a lighthouse mod for SHIII. One of the models I created was set as a land unit, and yes, after a few broadsides from a battleship, it collapsed miserably, so definitely yes, land units (but not terrain objects) can be made to take damage from enemy fire
gap is offline   Reply With Quote