SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-14-19, 04:56 PM   #1
blubalou
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Questions about game mechanics and realism settings in Career Mode

First off, I'm looking to determine the correlation between Gameplay (Realism) Settings and Career Mode difficulty (Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard.) I want Manual Targeting but also prefer getting map contact updates from visual or sonar contacts.

The first time I started a career, I chose 'Normal', then after a 3,000 mile Pacific cruise, I figured out Normal did not allow me to make TDC entries, so I started over with Hard as my selection. Now I'm required (and able) to generate my own targeting solution, but I'm not sure if I'm getting map contact updates. (Last night, while playing my career, I engaged a convoy in light fog, and received only gray contacts...., but I'm thinking that was because of the poor visibility? But then why didn't radar or sonar provide the red contacts?)

A couple of other items that seem to behave differently in Career Mode as compared to Quick Missions where I can control the Realism Settings....

1. Control over the direction of the hydrophone. In Career Mode I seem unable to control that, whereas I would like to be able to move it around the boat to hear for myself what's out there in all directions. What determines how that works?

2. Locking a target ('L' key) is a handy helper that I like (albeit not realistic) but this also did not work for me during my convoy encounter. Is this possibly also related to the poor visibility? i.e. do I need a red contact in order to lock it?

BTW, I played SH III for a while a long time ago (could it be 10 years ago already?!) but I'm more or less a Noob to the game and the subsim forums. So thanks in advance for any help!!!

-blu
blubalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 05:24 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubalou View Post
First off, I'm looking to determine the correlation between Gameplay (Realism) Settings and Career Mode difficulty (Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard.) I want Manual Targeting but also prefer getting map contact updates from visual or sonar contacts.

The first time I started a career, I chose 'Normal', then after a 3,000 mile Pacific cruise, I figured out Normal did not allow me to make TDC entries, so I started over with Hard as my selection. Now I'm required (and able) to generate my own targeting solution, but I'm not sure if I'm getting map contact updates. (Last night, while playing my career, I engaged a convoy in light fog, and received only gray contacts...., but I'm thinking that was because of the poor visibility? But then why didn't radar or sonar provide the red contacts?)

A couple of other items that seem to behave differently in Career Mode as compared to Quick Missions where I can control the Realism Settings....

1. Control over the direction of the hydrophone. In Career Mode I seem unable to control that, whereas I would like to be able to move it around the boat to hear for myself what's out there in all directions. What determines how that works?

2. Locking a target ('L' key) is a handy helper that I like (albeit not realistic) but this also did not work for me during my convoy encounter. Is this possibly also related to the poor visibility? i.e. do I need a red contact in order to lock it?

BTW, I played SH III for a while a long time ago (could it be 10 years ago already?!) but I'm more or less a Noob to the game and the subsim forums. So thanks in advance for any help!!!

-blu
Blu,
welcome to subsim and SH4.
Career Mode Difficulty and Realism are related with one being a title. Career Mode Difficulty will pre-set many of the Realism settings. When you generate your boat under a Difficulty, click on Radio (left side of screen), and you can totally customize your Realism.

hydrophone control is usually handled by the "H" key and you can use the mouse wheel to control direction....assuming you are playing Stock. not sure what else can be said.

the lock target key may not work with Manual Targeting. i, myself, am an Auto-Target Kaleun, and the lock key works without fail. however, if you are shooting manually, things may be different. i am going to step aside here and allow others to reply on the lock key and manual shooting.

good luck. and good hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 10-14-19 at 07:18 PM.
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 06:16 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... and if you're in a Gato-related boat, you might need to apply CapnScurvy's Gato Sonar Bearing Fix_Stock, else you are stuck with the Stock's "click the handle", which takes forever.

The radio console that KaleunMarco is referring to is found in the Captain's office that you are in while between patrols, or at the beginning of the career mode.

The "Lock" is affected by 'visibility' (or lack thereof). Think of the "Lock" as your XO following the target while you look at the chart. You can sometimes come up a pinch above PD and get a better Lock...

Welcome to SubSim!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 07:07 PM   #4
blubalou
Swabbie

I clicked around the office before starting my mission, but did not land on the radio. But now I know!

And I should have told you that I am playing SH 1.5 with THEBERBSTERS Mega Mod. As for whether or not that works with the 'H' key, I don't know. I just logged out, but will try again this evening.

Yes, I am in a Gato boat, and probably was not when playing the quick missions, so I will also look at Gato's Sonar Bearing fix.

Lastly, the part about the lock not working due to visibility makes sense, but even there, good advice to come up a few feet to get better clearance for my periscope in heavy seas.

Thanks you guys! Subsim seems like a great community!
Old 10-14-19, 07:21 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubalou View Post
And I should have told you that I am playing SH 1.5 with THEBERBSTERS Mega Mod. As for whether or not that works with the 'H' key, I don't know. I just logged out, but will try again this evening.
it is always a best practice to include your mod list when posting your question(s). Use JSGME, Tasks - Export Activated Mods to Clipboard. then paste it with your question(s).
for example:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\Stock\MODS]

RFB_LocNames
Medals Fix IV for v1.5 - STOCK by CapnScurvy

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 06:07 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... and the Sonar Bearing Fix - Stock does work with Webster's GFO, which is what the Berbster's package is - and is a good place to start with using mods. THEBERBSTER really documents his package, and numbers the different options for excellent ease-of-use.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 11:19 PM   #7
blubalou
Swabbie

Just checking in to confirm what propbeanie said (and to say 'thanks again') The Sonar Bearing Fix - Stock mod did the trick!

I'm still making my way to attempt to snap a clandestine photo of an enemy port, so it'll be a while before get back to my office ashore to tinker with realism settings, but in the meantime all is well!

Thanks all!
Old 10-17-19, 01:10 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

blubalou!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 05:07 AM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > blubalou
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote