SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-07, 12:56 AM   #1
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Technical Help & Questions, Guides and Trainings: TDC, Radar, Sonar and More...

If you have technical questions or issues or gameplay questions this is the right place.

Subsim's SH4 Tactics & Tips: Guides and Trainings: TDC, Radar, Sonar and More

Here you´ll get help if your system crashes, or if there are installation or sound/video card problems, or if you wanna upgrade your PC and are looking for advice.

Silent Hunter 4 System Requirements 4/5/07
  • Supported OS
  • : Windows® XP/Vista Only
  • Game comes on 1 DVD
  • Processor: 2GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon (3GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon recommended)
  • RAM: 1 GB (2 GB recommended)
  • Video Card: 128 MB RAM, DirectX 9–compliant, video card capable of rendering Pixel Shader 2.0 (256 MB RAM recommended) (see supported list*)
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9 –compliant sound card
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c or later (included on game disk)
  • DVD ROM drive 4x or faster speed
  • Hard Drive Space: 6 GB
  • Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 128Kbps upstream or faster, (512Kbps upstream or faster needed to host online games)
*Supported Video Cards:
ATI® RADEON® 9600/9700/9800, X300 to X850, X1300 to X1800
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6200/6600/6800/7800

Laptop models of these card are not supported.

Additional chipsets may be supported. For an up-to-date list please visit
http://support.ubi.com

Check the Subsim Radio Room Forums for examples of other players who have successfully run the game on other cards, such as the Nvidia 8800 and other cards.

Can your computer run Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific?

Find out now and click the button below !

Or surf to: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com...option_id=4368

Common Tips
* Radar, Sonar explained

* Be sure to install the DirectX that comes with the game.

* Some people have reported crashes after patching to v1.1. They say if you resintall the game and then patch, it fixes this.

* Currently Antialiasing doesn´t work and higher resolutions aren´t really hi-res. More informations here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=106588

Environmental Effects FPS Killer BUG aka. the killer Polygon aka the Borg cube

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 05-20-07 at 10:33 PM.
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 10:46 AM   #2
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1
Ok, 1st tip!

Reboot your PC after installing SH4.

After installing a PC-game, many players are tempted by the last setup-menu, asking them if they want to start the game straight away.
And then wonder why the game runs with bugs and glitches.

The reason why you need to reboot is, to make sure that the Windows-registry gets updated properly...new files & folders need a registry-entry, user-accounts need an update in the registry, dll's that came with the game need to be registered etc.
Only a reboot can make sure about that.

It's no garantee, that the game will run flawlessly...but it's always better to exclude as much error-sources as possible on 1st hand.

Last edited by Gizzmoe; 03-19-07 at 03:08 PM.
Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 11:12 AM   #3
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajtor
Ok, 1st tip!

Reboot your PC after installing SH4.

Ok, 1st question!

Why ?
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 11:22 AM   #4
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Right...1st answer, lol.

After installing a PC-game, many players are tempted by the last setup-menu, asking them if they want to start the game straight away.
And then wonder why the game runs with bugs and glitches.

The reason why you need to reboot is, to make sure that the Windows-registry gets updated properly...new files & folders need a registry-entry, user-accounts need an update in the registry, dll's that came with the game need to be registered etc.
Only a reboot can make sure about that.

It's no garantee, that the game will run flawlessly...but it's always better to exclude as much error-sources as possible on 1st hand.

2nd tip :

defrag your HD after installing and rebooting

...to decrease loading-times.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 11:35 AM   #5
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Defrag my HD, man, I do that constantly, as soon as my pc goes in screensaver mode is does that automatically. And as soon as I reboot it will defrag files that are normally loaded as well.

Of course I realize rebooting never hurts but I also know that if there is even the smalles change this is neccesary the install software will tell you too. But lets not take this further. I was just being a smart ass
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 03:11 PM   #6
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4

FYI, I did some house cleaning and deleted some posts. We would like this thread to be as tidy as possible, to make it easier for everyone to find relevant informations.
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 03:36 PM   #7
highkoo
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Hi all, just picked up SH4 and im having an issue with the zoom function not working.....any ideas?

I am assuming i can zoom with the mouse wheel like in SH3 yes/no ?
highkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 07:38 AM   #8
gonzlor
Bosun

Downloads: 36

Zoom function is working perfectly for me so far.
gonzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 08:07 AM   #9
highkoo
Seaman

gonzlor: are you able to use mouse zoom while in external camera mode ??
Old 03-20-07, 10:38 PM   #10
gonzlor
Bosun

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by highkoo
gonzlor: are you able to use mouse zoom while in external camera mode ??
I'm not able to do that, but with the gun/deck view I can bring up binoculars by mouse wheel.
gonzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 03:23 AM   #11
Lt. Staumeier
Loader

Downloads: 27
Default Abysmal performance on Recommended

Hi there!

I'm having abysmal performance on my rig, in spite of it being par or above the recommended settings. I have choppy gameplay (periodic skips with about 1-1½ seconds apart) and very low framerate.

Machine:
P4 3,2 GHz Dual Core
2048 Mb RAM DDR2 4200
GeForce 6800 GTS 256 Mb
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

I've tried running on max setting where it's completely unplayable and minimum where it's just not amusing at all. The skips never go away, regardless of resolution or graphic settings, but the framerates improve marginally when changing them. Any ideas? I'm at work right now, but I have one final thing to test and that's a clean reboot. Didn't do that.
Old 03-21-07, 03:40 AM   #12
highkoo
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Staumeier
Hi there!

I'm having abysmal performance on my rig, in spite of it being par or above the recommended settings. I have choppy gameplay (periodic skips with about 1-1½ seconds apart) and very low framerate.

Machine:
P4 3,2 GHz Dual Core
2048 Mb RAM DDR2 4200
GeForce 6800 GTS 256 Mb
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

I've tried running on max setting where it's completely unplayable and minimum where it's just not amusing at all. The skips never go away, regardless of resolution or graphic settings, but the framerates improve marginally when changing them. Any ideas? I'm at work right now, but I have one final thing to test and that's a clean reboot. Didn't do that.
Ok sounds like you may need to check your Nvidia Drivers settings first off then we can go from there. Check your task bar on the lower right hand of the screen for an Nvidia icon, click on it and ensure that both AA/AF (Antialiasing/Anisotropic) are set to App controll.
Did you install to the default loc?
Have you done a Virus/spyware check lately?
What Rezolution are you trying to run?
Have you installed the latest drivers for your 6800 GTS?
Do you have the latest version of Direct X?
Do you have the latest viersion drivers for your sound card?
Do you need to Defrag your hard-drive?
Also what kind of hard-drive do you have?

There are many other things we can go over depending on the results from the above, let me know if theres anything you dont understand

Also so you know, we should be able to get you running pretty well with your current system so no worries ill do my best to walk you through it.
Old 03-21-07, 05:37 AM   #13
Lt. Staumeier
Loader

Hi there!

First thing I did was to reset the Nvidia settings to standard (ie app controlled), I also then checked to see if I had the latest drivers for my GFX card (93.71) and I had them. I updated my sound card drivers about a month ago, and Creative aren't THAT new on drivers all the time. But I'll check, just to be sure.

The hard drive shouldn't be fragmented since it's a near fresh reinstall of Windows XP on it, but I'll defragment it just in case. I'm running dualboot configuration on two harddrives.

1 SATA 200 Gb drive, splitted into 2 NTFS partitions. 40 Gb system 160 Gb storage.
1 IDE 160 Gb drive, splitted into 3 ext3 partitions. 35 Gb Root, 2 Gb swap, and 123 Gb home folder. Linux operating system.

I do boot on WXP, since I doubt SHIV will run under Linux ^^ I'm having Zone Alarm Security Suite as my protection in form of anti-virus/spyware, internet/OS firewall. I've tried running the game both with ZA on and off. No difference. Zone Alarm was set to "internet lock engaged" (meaning nothing goes out or in), and that should lock out any internet bog down of the system.

I've even downloaded a crack to remove the copy protection in case that was interfering with the system, but no difference. So I'm back to non-cracked, original .exe now.

Silent hunter is installed in NTFS partition C:, the system drive at c:\games\SH4.
DirectX version 9.0c.

Tried running the game in both 1024x768 and 1280x1024. Both run equally bad.

I'm at a loss here really Runs GREAT on my daddy's computer. (He loves SH ) It's about the same spec as mine, but with a GeForce 7900 GT and some more juice in the processor.
Old 03-21-07, 05:52 AM   #14
highkoo
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Staumeier
Hi there!

First thing I did was to reset the Nvidia settings to standard (ie app controlled), I also then checked to see if I had the latest drivers for my GFX card (93.71) and I had them. I updated my sound card drivers about a month ago, and Creative aren't THAT new on drivers all the time. But I'll check, just to be sure.

The hard drive shouldn't be fragmented since it's a near fresh reinstall of Windows XP on it, but I'll defragment it just in case. I'm running dualboot configuration on two harddrives.

1 SATA 200 Gb drive, splitted into 2 NTFS partitions. 40 Gb system 160 Gb storage.
1 IDE 160 Gb drive, splitted into 3 ext3 partitions. 35 Gb Root, 2 Gb swap, and 123 Gb home folder. Linux operating system.

I do boot on WXP, since I doubt SHIV will run under Linux ^^ I'm having Zone Alarm Security Suite as my protection in form of anti-virus/spyware, internet/OS firewall. I've tried running the game both with ZA on and off. No difference. Zone Alarm was set to "internet lock engaged" (meaning nothing goes out or in), and that should lock out any internet bog down of the system.

I've even downloaded a crack to remove the copy protection in case that was interfering with the system, but no difference. So I'm back to non-cracked, original .exe now.

Silent hunter is installed in NTFS partition C:, the system drive at c:\games\SH4.
DirectX version 9.0c.

Tried running the game in both 1024x768 and 1280x1024. Both run equally bad.

I'm at a loss here really Runs GREAT on my daddy's computer. (He loves SH ) It's about the same spec as mine, but with a GeForce 7900 GT and some more juice in the processor.
Ok lets try something out real quick, start up SH4 and then ALT-Tab out to your desktop, then open up your Windows task manager Ctrl-Alt-Delet, go to the Processes tab and find the running silent hunter program, right click and select affinity to set it to use just one of your processor cores, then go back into SH4 and see if it helps at all.
Have you instaled the windows fix for dual core processors since your last reinstall of windows??
try the affinity thing and if that changes anything ill help get you all patched up
Old 03-21-07, 06:23 AM   #15
Lt. Staumeier
Loader

For the moment I'm sitting at work, so I can't test that out, but I'll do when I get home. I'm not aware of any dual-core fix for windows though O.o

Where do I find that? And what does it fix?

EDIT:
I DID check the taskmanager yesterday and SHIV was using about 1.1 Gb of RAM and about 53-60% CPU power constantly.