SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-09, 10:44 AM   #1
Starforce2
Planesman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default request for help

I have absolutly no idea how to make missions/warpatrols, so I have a request. If anyone is familiar with one called "Mackerel's Mission", a war patrol, it seems to have a crash in it when used with FOTRS. Now, it was probably intended for 1.4 or 1.5 stock, but just before it crashed there was an epic horizon spanning fleet of destroyers (and possibly other warships) on the order of the actual size of the jap fleet of either the solomans battle or midway (I forget which one they had 6 carriers, 42 destroyers..ect) anyways the idea of this mission is to take out a yamato class "Kurita". Given the massive nature of the fleets it'd be worth fixing for FOTRS but I don't know how to do it. I'd like to take another look at that nice fleet. Also the objectives are broke (you must hit return to game immediately after starting)
Starforce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 08:49 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starforce2
I have absolutly no idea how to make missions/warpatrols, so I have a request. If anyone is familiar with one called "Mackerel's Mission", a war patrol, it seems to have a crash in it when used with FOTRS. Now, it was probably intended for 1.4 or 1.5 stock, but just before it crashed there was an epic horizon spanning fleet of destroyers (and possibly other warships) on the order of the actual size of the jap fleet of either the solomans battle or midway (I forget which one they had 6 carriers, 42 destroyers..ect) anyways the idea of this mission is to take out a yamato class "Kurita". Given the massive nature of the fleets it'd be worth fixing for FOTRS but I don't know how to do it. I'd like to take another look at that nice fleet. Also the objectives are broke (you must hit return to game immediately after starting)
Will it even open in mission editor? If you write a mission with modded ships in it, those mods must be enabled before you can even get it into the mission editor to fix it. You could fix some stuff manually with a text editor but your first line sort of rules that out.
And if it will load into the mission editor, then it is probably only written with stock ships.
Will it run without FOTRS?

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:36 PM   #3
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

If any of the stock ships in FOTRS have their unit type changed this will happen. The editor will crash as well. It might warn you that it cannot find a given ship (or ships) first.

The simple fix would be to figure out what units changed. My guess might be the Minesweeper to type=1 as a starting point.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 02:12 AM   #4
Starforce2
Planesman

I don't know. it's either a stock 1.4 or 1.5 mission. I'll look to see if I have the original DL, however most don't include readme's in their zips with their usernames contacnt info or exacly what version they used. I am going through some of these missions and war patrols using the FOTRS mod to see what happens. Those that work and those that crash will be reported for the entertainment of others. Since I don't yet know how to make them, perhaps I can atleast do people a favor and tell them which ones function. So far a couple have, and this one crashed. I've not had time to try more recently. Going to try a bunch of tambors 1.4's in it too.
Old 03-09-09, 03:12 PM   #5
tater
Navy Seal

I've never seen that mission, I checked my install. The mission looks to be part of a mod perhaps.
Old 03-11-09, 05:18 AM   #6
Starforce2
Planesman

nah it was individually released. I'll repost it's files..I don't remember the ori dl either.
Old 03-11-09, 01:32 PM   #7
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
I've never seen that mission, I checked my install. The mission looks to be part of a mod perhaps.

The original mission was done by William Shultz. You can find a link for d/l here.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 01:52 PM   #8
tater
Navy Seal

It was written before 1.5, and contains Yamato.

Open the mission in a text editor, and change the Yamato's unit type everywhere you see it from

Quote:
[Group 1.Unit 1]
Name=IJN Kurita
Class=BBYamato
Type=11
to:

[Group 1.Unit 1]
Name=IJN Kurita
Class=BBYamato
Type=20

Done.
Old 03-19-09, 02:29 AM   #9
rea00cy
Loader

Downloads: 337
Default general solution

Hi all:
I'm having the same kind of trouble whe tying to run missions that played Ok before I went to 1.5, in my cases the editor crashes too. I noticed aflash msg in the editor [just before it crashes] saying that yamato and/or iowa were the root of the problem [e.g inBohol sea encounter], so I edited those missions by replacing thoe ships by others BB.
My Q is if there's a general solution to this problem. I mean how do I know which ships are wrong and whatis the text that I have to change?
thanks
rea00cy
rea00cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 03:11 PM   #10
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rea00cy View Post
Hi all:
I'm having the same kind of trouble whe tying to run missions that played Ok before I went to 1.5, in my cases the editor crashes too. I noticed aflash msg in the editor [just before it crashes] saying that yamato and/or iowa were the root of the problem [e.g inBohol sea encounter], so I edited those missions by replacing thoe ships by others BB.
My Q is if there's a general solution to this problem. I mean how do I know which ships are wrong and whatis the text that I have to change?
thanks
rea00cy
Basically you need to know something about the Mission. To use the mission editor to open a mission you need all the ships to be in the roster. So, for example the Playable ships are not in the stock so you need to enable the mod before you open the mission. Or if there is a cloned sub, to create a new sub and it's in that mission, the MOD must be enabled to open the mission. Also some 1.4 mission will not open in 1.5 anyway. Various reasons. So there is not definate answer to the question. It is just that anything (ships, subs, planes, land units and so on) that are in the mission must be in the game for the mission to open. So if someone wrote a mission with a MOD enabled, then you should enable that MOD before you open mission editor. And not just before you try to load a mission but before you even OPEN the editor.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 05:07 PM   #11
tater
Navy Seal

Read my post above. Yamato (and apparently Iowa?) are changed from a BB unit type in 1.4 to a "super BB" in 1.5. That is the only change. Open the mission in a text editor, change "Type=11" to "Type=20" if the ships are Iowa or Yamato.
Old 03-20-09, 12:33 AM   #12
rea00cy
Loader

Downloads: 337
Default thanks for your assistance

Peabody, Tater:
I appreciate your help. I just rediscover the wheel and started creating some missions & patrols for SH4-5. I'm commited to edit those "old" missions and make them run again, plus some modifictions to have more action and randomness [re-playable, more enjoyable to my "taste"]. If I find anything useful i will post it.
I've been looking in this forum and that at Ubisoft for posts related on hand editing .mis files and found too little on this subject [for example, modifications to the weather section by zones in addn to time or to manipulate the performance of the units other than that of crew rating [ROE, e.g. shadow, avoid, limit attacks to specific units...like those possible in the old but golden SH2 & DC], or to add some damage to the ships. In other words anything that can be edited in .mis files readable by the AI.
rea00cy
rea00cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 03:25 PM   #13
Starforce2
Planesman

I'm going to add to this. The conteverde (huge euro liner) changes from 103 to 109. I notice so far that all 3 ships that have had a unit type chnage also have a blue marking on their class in the mission editor list.