SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-09, 02:52 PM   #1
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1
Default WiFi connection driving me insane

I currently have internet service through ATT U-verse with a 2wire USB adapter (this one: http://www.2wire.com/?p=117). For months now the connection keeps dropping and sometimes reconnecting, sometimes not. Doing a bit of research has led me to some possible solutions, none of which alleviate my problem.

1. I'm running Windows XP and have upgraded to SP3. No joy
2. I've tried changing my wifi channels to 1, 6 and 11. None of them seem to work any better than the others
3. Under my wireless network connection properties, I've disabled the option to "use windows to configure my wireless networking settings". Didn't work, as my adapter doesn't have any software included with it to handle these settings that I know of.
4. I've tried disabling the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service and all this does is make it so I can't reconnect when my connection fails
5. I've tried physically moving my adapter to a different USB slot in my computer, as well as moving it away from any walls. My router is in the living room and I'm in the bedroom about 25 feet away so I don't think that's the problem.
6. I do live in an apartment complex and I do see a few other wifi networks around me. Could it just simply be interference?

I'm at my wits end. I have no reliable connection to the internet at home. Sometimes it's more reliable than others, but for the past couple of weeks its been a complete headache.

Should I just can the wireless and go back to a DSL/cable line?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 07:53 PM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

You summed up the extent of your problem when you said:

2wire

Edit - FRACK! Hit enter and it posted! Anyway - get a different wireless adapter. Something from a reputable, quality manufacturer. Netgear, Dlink or Linksys preferably. All are know for their quality network devices.

2wire is almost as bad as Netopia when it comes to network devices of any sort. Never - EVER - use anything from either one of these companies......

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 10:59 PM   #3
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

I'll give that a try. I'm just using what AT&T supplied me, so it makes sense that they did it on the cheap.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 06-02-09, 09:18 AM   #4
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
2wire is almost as bad as Netopia when it comes to network devices of any sort. Never - EVER - use anything from either one of these companies......
Netopia? I have never had any problems with any of their equipment. They are a branch of Motorola and even their tech support is decent. I would recommend their stuff.

2Wire on the other hand......
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 09:54 AM   #5
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

My wifi knowledge is pretty sketchy so bear with me if I'm asking some simplistic comments.

Is a PCI card better than a USB adapter? I've heard that PCI cards are better, but I'm a bit worried about the placement of the computer if I do get the PCI card. I've got my desktop in a computer desk placed in the corner of two walls, so it's kind of in a corner and low to the ground. Does this make a difference? As I mentioned before, my router isn't a very long way away....probably 25 feet or so.

Old 06-02-09, 10:56 AM   #6
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Linksys all the way here.

Everytime I go Cheap, EVERYTIME, within a short time I have to replace it.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 06:46 PM   #7
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Is this a laptop or a desktop? If its a desktop - then PCI is an option and a very good one. However you do need to consider location.

The height isnt really an issue for you to have to worry about. Your dealing with what amounts to a radio signal here, so a couple of questions. Is your desk metal? Any big chunks of metal right close? Heating/cooling radiator, etc? These change how the signal propogates, though 25 feet should be cake regardless.

My bet here is still the adapter.

BubbleHead - the problem with netopia I have is their routers. What everyone in the industry calls port forwarding - and what they choose to call "pinholes" - simply does not work properly on most netopia routers. For those who have them that use our equipment, we usually have to advise setting the router up as a public pass and put a linksys or similiar soho router behind it for at least some minimal layer of protection. If netopia IOS actually did what you told it to, I wouldn't have nearly the issues with them. As for their support - get to a higher tier, get the engineer connected to you so he can see what you see, and watch him hem and haw and finally go "I dunno why it doesnt forward like its supposed to." I actually had one tell me once that the ports I was using were "non-standard" and thus couldn't be forwarded.

Of course some of them are non standard... sheesh!

2wire on the other hand...... I think half their routers are made out of exactly that - 2 wires..... and thats it.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 08:26 PM   #8
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

I'm a bit partial to DLINK, with Netgear a backup. I do have a Linksys but I never seem to find a good product from them.

Anyway, 25 feet may be a lot more if you have some walls to go through. What I don't see listed here is adding a larger antennae. I run a system about 25 feet from my main router and I doubt I would have much better luck than you without higher gain antennas.

-S
Old 06-17-09, 09:44 AM   #9
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

A post script to this issue:

I went out and got a Belkin N+ wireless adapter this weekend. Plugged it in on Sunday, and haven't had one disconnect since.

Thank you for everyone's help!