SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-08, 02:57 PM   #1
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Default 1.5 without the U-Boat expansion?

While I'm 0f course buying the expansion, I would like to know if there will be a mini-patch for download that adds whatever upgrades/fixes are compatible with the US boats and brings the normal SH4 also to 1.5 :hmm:

Also, can someone confirm if the new abilities (Call aircraft, surface groups, etc.) are now available also for the US subs?
Old 02-27-08, 05:33 PM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29

I don't have the game yet, BUT

One of the pre-release interviews clearly stated that the new "strategic" features were NOT implemented into the US campaign, but were open for modding if someone wished to plug them in.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 03:16 AM   #3
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

I don't think there will be a straight patch with more stuff from the add-on. Basically 1.4 added as much as possible from the add-on, but the idea is that some improvements simply require too many changes (code) from the add-on, to be viable separately.

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 04:10 AM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29

Not to point it at you specifically Hitman, but I just wonder why some people are so apprehensive about buying the add-on.

It's good stuff. More content for $10? I spend that much on lunch at work sometimes. :p
And no, I'm not paid by Ubi to say this sort of stuff. I'll be the first to get skeptical should problems arise, but so far I think this one needs and deserves our support.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:16 AM   #5
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Not to point it at you specifically Hitman, but I just wonder why some people are so apprehensive about buying the add-on.

It's good stuff. More content for $10? I spend that much on lunch at work sometimes. :p
And no, I'm not paid by Ubi to say this sort of stuff. I'll be the first to get skeptical should problems arise, but so far I think this one needs and deserves our support.
I agree completely... the amount of negativity is staggering. It's hardly a hole in the pocket, plus it supports the dev team (who we really should support, despite the unfinished games they've made and we've ended up loving anyway), and we get more official content and improvements, which is a rare thing.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:35 AM   #6
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

i think, the point are the bugfixes in the addon. if you paid for sh4, you must buy the addon for having a complete game. i didnt have my copy of it yet, but it seems to have some bugfixes like the gauges in the conning tower. this is a bugfix for 1.4. it cant be used by sh4 owners, which dont want to buy the addon. because of this point, ubi should release a seperatly patch (1.4b?) which includes the bugfixes of the addon.

greetz, Jaeger
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:49 AM   #7
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
i didnt have my copy of it yet, but it seems to have some bugfixes like the gauges in the conning tower. this is a bugfix for 1.4. it cant be used by sh4 owners, which dont want to buy the addon. because of this point, ubi should release a seperatly patch (1.4b?) which includes the bugfixes of the addon.
You know you can download a fix for the conning tower gauges for free, right here in this very forum...

And, while you're at it, read elanaiba's post again. He is a dev, after all...

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 07:17 AM   #8
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

I think most subsim-fans will get the addon without to much fuzz, and the noise is coming from a small but loud bunch.

I dont think UBI or the devs made this addon because they are nazis. They probably know that the German side of the underwater war of WW2 is more exciting for most, and this way they get many of the fence-sitters into Silent Hunter 4.
Old 02-28-08, 07:25 AM   #9
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Personal opinion; to release a retail Add On product that also contains tweaks and fixes to the existing game, and to then not offer those tweaks and fixes as a patch to those not wanting to purchase the Add On, is synonymous with the problem of Ubisoft's Marketing Division.

'Let's treat a symptom while the disease marches on'.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 07:52 AM   #10
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

There should be a patch.

I left a game franchise to come to SH4 because of poor customer support. Irony is, that franchise actually released patches when this exact same thing happens. It's not about how cheap it is, it's about the fact it builds on a game engine I bought in entirety, expecting to be a prime benefactor of improvements to that engine.

I see a new range of SH3 diehards are enjoying this.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:02 AM   #11
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Yes I know, I'm getting the expansion as soon as it hits the stores here but if there are fixes and corrections on it that apply also to US subs, I think they should be somehow also given to those who do not buy the expansion. That was the only point of the question, really. But I must say that in the readme there are no fixes documented, and only improvements, which is alright to keep in the expansion
Old 02-28-08, 08:17 AM   #12
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba
I don't think there will be a straight patch with more stuff from the add-on. Basically 1.4 added as much as possible from the add-on, but the idea is that some improvements simply require too many changes (code) from the add-on, to be viable separately.
I need to quote this guy since he's very smart.

AkbarGulag, am I to understand that you have bought the game engine from us ?

Last edited by elanaiba; 03-18-08 at 04:50 AM.
elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:24 AM   #13
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

There are plenty of mods to correct the issues and there will continue to be, because, thankfully, we have a bunch of dedicated modders that are addicted to playing with code.

I think $10 for a download is more than reasonable, but I want to wait for the supermods to catch up to 1.5, first.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 01:28 PM   #14
cwelt
Mate

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
Personal opinion; to release a retail Add On product that also contains tweaks and fixes to the existing game, and to then not offer those tweaks and fixes as a patch to those not wanting to purchase the Add On, is synonymous with the problem of Ubisoft's Marketing Division.

'Let's treat a symptom while the disease marches on'.
This is my sentiments exactly... I will likely buy the add on as well but to withhold pertinant fixes to issues from those who dont want the addon seems a bit idiotic to me. Not bashing devs, I know what they do and how hard they work... but Ubi has a track record and I see they continue to proudly march on to the same tune
cwelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 01:55 PM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

They will be getting my $10.00 and that is final!!!!