SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-15, 03:43 PM   #46
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Win 8: F
As I keep repeating, I use Window's 8.1 and have no real problems with it.
Old 06-12-15, 02:35 AM   #47
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I got the offer today. I installed a new version of 7 over my Vista(that had not real issues for me but slowly losing support) last year.

If MS will provide me with free OS I will certainly take them up on it.
Just did the same.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 05:18 AM   #48
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
As of a few months I use it at work and hate it.
I take the positive thing I said that after the updates it might be better back.

To sum up the problems I have, well for someone like me who frequently has to calculate minus or plus taxes on prices on the contracts I have to print out using a calculator and I used the one in Windows everytime. Now open the calculator in Win 8.1 and there you go the most simplest of programs and it takes up the whole screen?!. The OS is called Windows right? not Window. (same with scanning documents I use frequently and reading PDF files) also the constant yapping I need a Microsoft account which I do not want because I can't think of a reason to why I would need one.

And the start button, it's just another button that takes you back to those tiles.

so I stick to my original statement...it belongs on smartphones and tablets but it's not an OS that belongs on a PC because it's UI, navigating it and design decisions is abismal.

I really wish that XP machine didn't die on me which forced me to get this.

Quote:
Dvorak says wait on Win10, it's looking like another MS stumble
Well since I don't use online storage (don't want, need nor plan to ever use) I personally don't see it as a stumble.

Last edited by HunterICX; 06-12-15 at 05:25 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 05:41 AM   #49
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post

Hey the dude in the video thanks for the info on the logo I never noticed it until now.
You must take your medication every day....try not to forget

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 09:20 AM   #50
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That's why I didn't give it an F-
Old 06-12-15, 09:42 AM   #51
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Haha, that's awesome. I'm a real holdout myself, my gaming computer still runs XP, and if I had a choice, so would my work laptop. I have no idea if Windows will get this right, especially in light of their past performance. They are about 50% for efficient O/S, in my book.

Windows: 3.0: B-
Win95: B+
Win 98: B
Win 2000: C-
Win XP: A
Win Vista: B-
Win 7: A+
Win 9: MIA
Win 10: ?

If MS could just solve the problem I always have, that a PC will begin to slow down and get really crappy performance after a few years, needing some kind of extraordinary maintenance, like backing up, reformatting, and reinstalling everything, I would be happy.
Good list. I hate win 8. It's just re-arranging the deck furniture, but harder to find. I think MS has their own version of Intel's tick-tock theory that is driving their company, except MS can take something good and totally ruin it.
Old 06-12-15, 11:42 AM   #52
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Default How to remove the 'free upgrade to Win10' icon

Yes, Great list.... I didn't have the problems with Win ME that I read about so I liked it, liked Win XP, and now I like and have Win7. Just didn't like the look of the Win8.x, so I am a Win7 devotee, and not the only one... lol

I was surprised this wasn't a topic on how to remove the annoying 'free upgrade to Win10' icon in the task bar right side 'tray'. It took a few of us a day or two to figure that one out... not just me.

To remove it, I uninstalled the Update that installed the nagware, hid the update on 'Windows Update' so it wouldn't come back, plus did the same with any of the 'prepare your computer for Win10' updates... (I think there were two).

Win10 does look like a lot better OS, however keeping things in 'the cloud' instead of on my hard drive is a concept I'm not sure I like - yet - because of Privacy issues.

Who knows if my Programs & 'Games will work with Win 10... that's important as Fitzcarraldo and others have mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Dear comrades:

Today (June 12-2015), I received the "icon" with the link for the reserve of the free update to Windows 10. I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

29th July will be the day for the download.

What about our dear subsims? Some idea about the correct work of SH3, SH4, SH5, DW, etc....under the new OS? Convenient or not?

Being free, it is interesting to upgrade to W10, but if after that I can not run my dears subsims (and others programs I bought as Acrobat, Photoshop, etc; or freewares as WinRAR, etc)....my fury will be colossal.

Waiting comments, please!!!

All the best.

Fitzcarraldo

Last edited by aanker; 06-12-15 at 11:51 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 12:14 PM   #53
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Now open the calculator in Win 8.1 and there you go the most simplest of programs and it takes up the whole screen?!.
I can't speak to that. They've ruined the calculator. I'm sorry to hear that. They've also ruined Media Player by taking out the Advanced Tag Editor function. But that has nothing to do with the OS, except that you can't change to an earlier version. On the other hand someone has made a replacement across-the-board media editor that works just fine.

They've ruined a couple of other things as well, but as I said I have no problems with the basic system.

Quote:
And the start button, it's just another button that takes you back to those tiles.
Not for me. I use Classic Shell, and my computer opens to the same desktop the old one did. The only time I ever see the tiles is if I want to find something I keep hidden on that screen.

Quote:
so I stick to my original statement...it belongs on smartphones and tablets but it's not an OS that belongs on a PC because it's UI, navigating it and design decisions is abismal.
And as I said, for me it works just fine, and looks just like my old XP machine.
Old 06-12-15, 12:33 PM   #54
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
As of a few months I use it at work and hate it.

So the old PC at work finally died, that's a good couple of years you (work) got out of it, I remember you complaining about it on irc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Good list. I hate win 8. It's just re-arranging the deck furniture, but harder to find. I think MS has their own version of Intel's tick-tock theory that is driving their company, except MS can take something good and totally ruin it.
I read about Intel's tick tocking a week or so ago.

Win 8 has its place on tablets, and 10 is too similar for regular desktop work.

7 will be my new build.
Old 06-12-15, 12:50 PM   #55
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I am purely guessing, but it might be a good idea to hold on to Win7. I bet a lot of program devs do so too, seeing how Win7 was the last good, "something new" windows.

Though, if your programs only involve Adobe, then you're safe. I'm sure they release Adobe 2016 with nothing new, but support for Windows 10.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 12:50 PM   #56
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
So the old PC at work finally died, that's a good couple of years you (work) got out of it, I remember you complaining about it on irc.
Yep, I think it was about that time the PSU was having a temperamental fit. Random power downs and boot up cycles at the most inconvenient of times whilst trying to do my work

In total it gone through a crashed HDD and a failing PSU before a few months ago it simply refused to boot up. I would recon a good 7-8 years of service.
Old 06-12-15, 03:05 PM   #57
Dowly
Lucky Jack

How do you guys break that stuff? I have never, ever broken anything on my PC.. and I have no case ventilation (sides are open completely).

Damn n00bs.
Old 06-12-15, 03:10 PM   #58
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
How do you guys break that stuff? I have never, ever broken anything on my PC.. and I have no case ventilation (sides are open completely).

Damn n00bs.
Don't you people in the Northern Waste Lands have to pump heat into your PC's to keep them from locking up?

Old 06-12-15, 04:22 PM   #59
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Don't you people in the Northern Waste Lands have to pump heat into your PC's to keep them from locking up?

Them polar bears do it for us. Just need to make sure they've got enough penguins for snacks.
Old 07-06-15, 12:58 PM   #60
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Haha, that's awesome. I'm a real holdout myself, my gaming computer still runs XP, and if I had a choice, so would my work laptop. I have no idea if Windows will get this right, especially in light of their past performance. They are about 50% for efficient O/S, in my book.

Windows: 3.0: B-
Win95: B+
Win 98: B
Win 2000: C-
Win XP: A
Win Vista: B-
Win 7: A+
Win 9: MIA
Win 10: ?

If MS could just solve the problem I always have, that a PC will begin to slow down and get really crappy performance after a few years, needing some kind of extraordinary maintenance, like backing up, reformatting, and reinstalling everything, I would be happy.
That list is a mix of both the home and professional versions.
If you were looking to make it a "home" list, then replace Win2000 with Win ME

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows