Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-20, 10:13 PM   #1
KungPao
Seaman

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo evasion Ninja skill

Hi
I have questions about Torpedo evasion regarding two particular cases.

1, How to minimize the damage from VA-111 Shkval? Of course I understand an easy and short answer is to stay 7nm away. But here is a possible scenario, you picked a faint 50hz signals, you realized that it is possible from a Kilo Improved from 3nm away. AI in RA mod are trigger happy, so anything you do will let him loose two Shkval to you. in this case, what is the best solution?

2, What is the necessary steps to evade passive Torp in your tail? Recently I have a lot of experience of being destroyed by passive Torp. And most of the case I thought I have evade the Active Torp. I began to slow down, stream the TA try to look around, then "boom" ... I guess I got keep a mindset assuming I am always be chased by a Passive Torp. Will it be helpful if I drop a passive decoy, make a 90 degree turn, change the depth to the other side of layer, and then reduce the speed to 5nm?

Thank you
KungPao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-20, 02:10 AM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

1. Best solution is to maintain all the time high speed.

2. For SSK just stop engines or run very slow and quiet (0-2 kts). For SSN better is to use passive CM's and run away with max speed without cavitation.

And most important: don't wait for TiW message. Instead check your TA narrowband for 55Hz (east torps), 65 Hz (west torps), 75 Hz (shkval)
Old 10-23-20, 11:10 AM   #3
KungPao
Seaman

Thank you p7p8
That's very helpful suggestion
Old 10-23-20, 02:13 PM   #4
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

1. If you know your opponent is likely to have a Shkval: Russian sub or Iran Kilo. if youre within 10 kyds, after you fire on him assume he will counterfire a Shkval down your bearing. So, immediately turn 90 degrees from his bearing and accelerate to 14 or 15 kts. listen down his bearing for the Shkval sound or just wait for TIW alert. Then you can accelerate to full or flank and change depth dramatically if possible.

*when I start to figure its getting close to boogaloo time, I sometimes reel-in my towed array so I dont break it if I really need to do some dancing. I can always toss it out again later.

2. Don't cavitate vs passive torps. Always manually listen around for torpedo screw noises, if you hear torpedos but no pinging then assume they are passive fish. Always be popping out passive CMs and change course & depth. Keep your speed around 15 kts, this gives you some velocity but you should still be able to hear and not cavitate either. If you've got the sea room, you go very deep (learn your crush depth for each sub you're driving) and go flank for a burst, then turn and slow for a quick listen for torps.

FPSChazly did a video about torpedo evasion that should give you a good basis for doing this against all kinds of torpedoes.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 05:16 PM   #5
KungPao
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
1. If you know your opponent is likely to have a Shkval: Russian sub or Iran Kilo. if youre within 10 kyds, after you fire on him assume he will counterfire a Shkval down your bearing. So, immediately turn 90 degrees from his bearing and accelerate to 14 or 15 kts. listen down his bearing for the Shkval sound or just wait for TIW alert. Then you can accelerate to full or flank and change depth dramatically if possible.

*when I start to figure its getting close to boogaloo time, I sometimes reel-in my towed array so I dont break it if I really need to do some dancing. I can always toss it out again later.
That's an important lesson I learned recently. Always prepare for the worst case scenario , and think ten steps ahead.

Yes, keep a vertical course of his bearing and keep a relatively high speed should do the trick. The key is to move away from predicted impact point (from Shkval shooter's perspective) . Vertical course increase the bearing rate change, and increase the Shkval's angle in a lead chase, high speed reduce the time needed for the turning and change the course. But I do feel for the American sub, I would just keep the same course and increase to full/flank speed, their turning rate is not so good. for Russian Sub turning 180 degree could be a good option.
I also feel that changing depth doesn't help here? Because changing depth will reduce the distance traveled on horizontal plane. In DW, the Shkval's MAD fuse and warhead don't care the depth difference

If it is a game with RA mod, The AI Sub seems very trigger happy, they would counter fire as soon as they pickup first TIW warning.
Manually control the Torp attacks from a different direction won't fool the AI, they seems to able to ID my bearing at the first sight of trouble. However, this tactic can still be helpful, because the torp's sound won't mix up with any sound coming from the target.

Anyway, if you are 5nm-7nm away, following the procedure above should make you defeat Shkval easily. But the tricky part is 3-4nm away. I guess we will need some luck in this situation. (And many times you won't pick up Kilo's signal until it is 3nm away.

What I found interesting is if I am very close to the target ( let's say 1-2nm ) and AI Sub's heading has large angle difference with my bearing, many of the AI fired Shkval will miss me totally even if I sit there do nothing.