SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-20, 04:48 PM   #1
prozac919
Sailor man

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default Saved games with FOTRSU 1.1 will not load

I did the 1.1 upgrade to Fall of the Rising Sun Megamod. Now my saved games keep crashing the program when I try to load them. Is there a fix for this or am I the only one with this problems. Yes it is a clean install. Yes I deleted the SH4 documents folder. Yes I have installed and unistalled 4 times (everything SH4 and the FOTRSU mod). Yes I have the LAA app. Any help would be appreciated.
prozac919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 06:08 PM   #2
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

It's not just you.

Some workarounds:
a) hot starts - start another patrol from a successful save, play for a few minutes, then try starting the game you wanted. Historically it's worked on stock and a megamod; perhaps it will work here.

b) forked paths - load the replay of your patrol, choose the time as close to your desired restart point as possible (may require multiple attempts to find a working point), and start from there. Warning: this may disrupt the time vs. daylight relationship.

c) full system restarts - sometimes help.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 07:37 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac919 View Post
I did the 1.1 upgrade to Fall of the Rising Sun Megamod. Now my saved games keep crashing the program when I try to load them. Is there a fix for this or am I the only one with this problems. Yes it is a clean install. Yes I deleted the SH4 documents folder. Yes I have installed and unistalled 4 times (everything SH4 and the FOTRSU mod). Yes I have the LAA app. Any help would be appreciated.
it sounds like you need to delete your savefile folder. yes, the whole thing. blow it away.
the first time you run FOTRSU it will rebuild itself properly.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 11:17 PM   #4
prozac919
Sailor man

What seems to work is to reload from the autosave at the start of the mission at the port. Let it play for a minute or two and then reload the save I want. This does mess up the time of day tho. And I also did not get credit for my next kill afterwards.
Old 06-01-20, 04:08 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Old savegames used before 1.1 are not compatible, that's written in the mod page. You need to delete your savegame folder to ensure a troublefree play. Just starting a new career is not enough, your new career files may still use old files, that's why before starting new carreer you need to wipe the savegame folder (you can keep the grafic and player settings cfg files, but that's all).

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 02:28 PM   #6
prozac919
Sailor man

everyone please read my original thread. I deleted the saved games from documents before I did the install. Everyone offering tips keeps saying that I needed to do this which I did.
Old 06-13-20, 03:45 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac919 View Post
everyone please read my original thread. I deleted the saved games from documents before I did the install. Everyone offering tips keeps saying that I needed to do this which I did.

If it's not that, you better post in the FOTRSU thread, you will find first-quality answers there. I cannot reproduce your problem since I have 1.1, everything working ok on my system.
Old 06-15-20, 07:18 AM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Ok, I re-read your post. You say:

"Now my saved games keep crashing the program"

But which saves? Autosaves? You shouldn't use autosaves (mandatory)
Make a new save everytime with different name, don't overwrite a save (mandatory)
Don't save when enemies or planes are nearby (could mess-up the save or maybe not);
don't go in Museum or in single missions and then load a campaign save before restarting entire game; or don't do the contrary (could crash or lag the game).

That must be it...Hope it helps,
Cheers,
XS
Old 06-15-20, 10:13 AM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Saves can be problematic even in Stock, no matter how careful you are. When bad data is in the game, the odds of an un-recoverable Save skyrocket. We do have bad data on a few "assets" in the game, which we are correcting little by little with each release. We'll have more such changes for the next release. However, from team testing, there are fewer errors with FotRSU saves than there are with Stock Saves. FotRSU has reduced the "bandwidth" demanded upon the game, making it more "efficient" (lots of room for improvement). The main issue seems to be the Save interface itself, and as XS mentions, it's best if the user not over-write a previous Save, using a new name for each Save. This helps immensely.

But do remember that you are dealing with a 2005 game at its base (SH3), and as such, has a lot of "updated" old DOS and Win98 type calls inside of a "black box". If you have write-caching enabled on your hard drives (which the modern computer does NOT need to use), then there is a "delay" on the write, besides the inherent GUI delay in SH4 itself. So after you have hit the Save button twice (remember - do most things twice in SH4 - once to get the focus then again for the actual task), give the computer time to react to the slow reaction of SH4 and let it finalize its write to the hard drive before exiting. Do like a "one thousand and one, one thousand and two", and you should be better off with the Saves. If you exit before the game is finished writing to the hard drive, it just quits writing. You would think it would stop and throw a pop-up with "There is a Save Game in progress. Are you sure you want to exit now? {Yes][No][Cancel]"... but there isn't.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 11:08 AM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Oh and: don't delete savegames in the Explorer folder, in SH5 you can do that, in SH4 no. Another quirk is that starting another career with a different name will change all saves to the newest commander name, this could lead to problems but not to game crashes I think.

XS
Old 07-01-20, 10:32 AM   #11
M6JZO
Swabbie

Downloads: 360
Default Great Supermod for me

Hi guy's Forts v1.1. Fantastic but won't save a patrol end for me . Reboots to windows any ideas to fix this issue. Cheers M6JZO Frank.
M6JZO is offline   Reply With Quote