Closed Thread

Old 04-05-10, 10:30 PM   #61
Drifter
Frogman

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoboy View Post

I find it very disgusting that ubisoft releases an unfinished game and expects the modders to make it into something great. I have the utmost confidence that the modders will achieve that, but we're not paying the modders for this game, are we? Ubisoft is basically using free labor to finish their product. It's not fair to modders that they have to finish creating the game.
EXACTLY. Very well said. I agree 100%. Many of the current SH5 modders don't realize, or just plain don't care that they are being used as free labor by Ubisoft to fix and finish the game. I refuse to work for Ubisoft for free any more.

Old 04-05-10, 10:33 PM   #62
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
I guess you're right though, if we all don't buy SH5, then there'll be no SH6 for us to bitch and whine(TM Subsim 2010) about in a year's time.

And that would be a shame.
If it has OSP/DRM then I wouldn't want it anyway, so makes no diff to me!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Old 04-05-10, 10:35 PM   #63
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I suspect that modders actually like modding LOL . But i do expect sh5 to be in a reasonable shape to start with . Hopefully after some patches it will be . I also expect the stupid drm to be patched out . So it is up to Ubi to give sh5 a chance .
Old 04-05-10, 10:38 PM   #64
Drifter
Frogman

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
I suspect that modders actually like modding LOL . But i do expect sh5 to be in a reasonable shape to start with . Hopefully after some patches it will be . I also expect the stupid drm to be patched out . So it is up to Ubi to give sh5 a chance .
I agree. There is a big difference between 'modding' a game, and 'fixing and finishing' a game. That is not the modders' job.

Old 04-05-10, 11:00 PM   #65
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
There is a big difference between 'modding' a game, and 'fixing and finishing' a game. That is not the modders' job.
I could be mistaken, and i can't speak for others, but it feels I've like been fixing and finishing SH4 off and on for a few years now. I suspect modders for SH5 may end up feeling the same way.
Old 04-05-10, 11:20 PM   #66
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I could be mistaken, and i can't speak for others, but it feels I've like been fixing and finishing SH4 off and on for a few years now. I suspect modders for SH5 may end up feeling the same way.
On your tombstone will be written, "Driven Deep by Silent Hunter"
Old 04-05-10, 11:31 PM   #67
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Excellent lunge!

Excellent riposte!

There are a bunch of people enjoying the game, or trying to.

There are a bunch of people who played it, hated it, and said they'd be back when it was working better.

There are a bunch of people who will see if patches and fixes make it better, and then will buy it.

And there are a bunch of people who refuse to buy it while it's a force-fed online game.

Everybody has a different take, and everybody is more than willing to express there opinions. Everybody also seems to willing to take cheap shots at anybody who disagrees with them.

This is a thread asking players to give SH5 a chance. I'm more than willing to do that, once they'll let me play it.

It doesn't need to be a shooting war.
The most sensible post in this whole thread.
Old 04-05-10, 11:45 PM   #68
TteFAboB
Admiral

Downloads: 4

As Sailor Steve, I'll give SH5 a chance when Ubisoft gives me a chance to play it as well, without the online requirement.

I have nothing against SH5 other than a few disappointments here and there, and I'm sure it can be enjoyed even then, since I myself enjoyed both SH3 and SH4 in their vanilla, bug-ridden crappy state.

Until then I'll sail other no less deserving seas.
Old 04-06-10, 12:23 AM   #69
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybaGirl View Post
Because the way I see it. Even though the game might not be to my expectations at the moment. I am happy to pay what I paid for the game knowing full well that I am supporting a company who continues to write, develop and produce the Silent Hunter series. Because without UBISOFT where we all be?
Support buggy unfinished SH5 or else we might never see a buggy unfinished SH6? I cant agree with that philosophy. Encouraging a company who dishes out inferior products, simply because they are the only ones making said product right now, is just wrong on so many levels.
But Im sure Ubi$oft looooves your way of thinking though.
Old 04-06-10, 01:15 AM   #70
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Support buggy unfinished SH5 or else we might never see a buggy unfinished SH6? I cant agree with that philosophy. Encouraging a company who dishes out inferior products, simply because they are the only ones making said product right now, is just wrong on so many levels.
Agree with that 100%

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Old 04-06-10, 04:34 AM   #71
Ablemaster
An able master

Downloads: 121
Uploads: 5

Agree with many things said, ive used SH2 3, 4 and now 5, if nothing else UBI are consistant, all have been released with lots of bugs and obviously rushed through unfinished. Am happy to have a SH5 even in this state but cant help thinking that if a company got hold of SH and put the effort in, well it could be amazing. We all want an excellent SH and its a shame UBI put this out in such a bad state. I dont expect a SH6 or want one if its rushed through and unfinished UBI's reputation has taken a major hit here, fixing it will not mend the wounds, wish another company would take her on and give her the respect and work she deserves, this isnt a good way to attract new fans, thats for sure. As much as i want SH5 cant help thinking SH5 has been pushed out with no respect for the customers and blatently conned many, hell and that drm hell lets not go there. Its all a real shame, we all want SH5 to be all it can be, pity Ubi dont too.
Old 04-06-10, 05:38 AM   #72
CybaGirl
Sailor Gal

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
@CybaGirl: So, you don't like SH5--in fact you called it "bad"--yet you want the Ubisoft bashers to "pipe down" so as not to end the game we all "love and adore"? I'm certainly confused.
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you. What I meant was this.

Yes out of the box I think the game is bad. Well it's not to my liking because it isn't like SH3. As I said in the beginning of my post and this is probably my own fault. I had expectations of SH5 basically being a copy of SH3 but with better graphics. Yes the graphics in SH5 are awesome without a doubt. But the interface and game play is not like SH3 so this disappointed me. But in saying this. This was my own personal expectation without even knowing anything about the game.

You see I went out and brought the game without reading a single review or looking at any screen shots. I did see the promotional video and I thought it looked awesome! Even if I was unsure about the game and had read the reviews on it I still would have brought it. The reason is because I have brought and still own every single Silent Hunter game that has ever been produced along with Silent Service and Aces of The Deep including the expansion disk. So after buying and collecting for all these years even if the game was bad. I would still want it in my collection as it deserves to be apart of it.

As far as piping down. Saying that you don't like the game is one thing and there is nothing wrong with saying this. As everyone is entitled to their opinion. But saying that you wish the demise of UBISOFT or you hope that they suffer from loss of sales and it hurts the company is another thing in my opinion. Why would anyone in their right mind want UBISOFT to become a distant memory like great companies such as Cinemaware, Dynamix, MicroProse etc.... Seriously, you would have to be out of your tree to want something like this to happen. This may not have been mentioned in this particular thread but it has been mentioned in others and on other forums and I sometimes wonder if people have their brain engaged before accelerating their mouth or should I say fingers in this case.

Quote:
So how do you like running Linux? Are your games running well on it? What's the software support like? Any good? I mean you must be running Linux? As you couldn't possibly be running and encouraging an O/S from a company who has dished out inferior products in the past.

Who says it's unfinished? Is that your opinion or the opinion of the original designer and developer(s) of the game? If so. Can you please post the link where it's stated that the game is unfinished? Just because something isn't finished in yours or someone else's eyes doesn't mean that the software is actually unfinished. What this means is. In your opinion the game is unfinished and nothing more. Because it does not live up to your expectations nor does it have or does it do certain things that you would like it to do out of the box.

I wonder if you have ever tried explaining your philosophy to Windows users? I am sure many will not agree with your line of thinking. As Windows has no real competition! Yet they have and no doubt will continue to release buggy software in the future. Yet it is still sold by the millions! Its a fact of life not all software is ever finished nor is it 100% bug free. Yet people still buy it and people still support the companies who make such things. I mean even after all these years Windows XP is still getting updated and patched. Yet many believe this was the best O/S MS ever created.

Old 04-06-10, 06:19 AM   #73
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 240

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHesse View Post
Umm, no.

I will continue to follow the forums and hope for the best, but untill UBI removes the invasive DRM and fixes the innumerable bugs that have been present since SH3 - inability to dive past 180m without running at flank speed, for instance - I will vote with my wallet.

I refuse to pay for a bug-ridden, half finished, and sloppily scripted mess.

Doing so would only reinforce to UBI that this is an acceptable business practice. I can only vote for myself, but vote I shall, and I refuse to be moved, coerced, or guilted into supporting SH5 based on what it "may become".

I'll buy it if, and when, it meets MY standards as a consumer - not yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussiwojima View Post
Ditto..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
QFT! thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW1 View Post
I'll second this
Let's face it, it will be very long before SH5 meets your standards ....if ever.

There should be some kind of e-mail list in which you could subscribe and then Neal or one of the moderator here could send you a message once the game has been fixed and once the DRM has been removed.

So you wouldn't need to click on the ''Silent Hunter 5 forum'' every day and we wouldn't have to see the same old and endless complains over and over and over again.
Old 04-06-10, 06:22 AM   #74
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybaGirl View Post
...you wish the demise of UBISOFT or you hope that they suffer from loss of sales...
I don't own UBI shares but on other hand by not buying their lame products isn't me (the consumer) that is in fault... but the company it self that shot their own foot. As consumer you won't be buying a car that has a broken engine just because of the color of the paintwork.

Therefore lets cut the crap finger point at right direction if you are looking to blame someone for the current state of afairs.

PS: You are entitle to your opinion but that doesn't necessary mean alienating others that do not share it as I do not expect someone else agreeing entirely with me either. Cheers

Old 04-06-10, 06:24 AM   #75
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Méo View Post
Let's face it, it will be very long before SH5 meets your standards ....if ever.

There should be some sort of e-mail list in which you could subscribe and then Neal or one of the moderator here could send you a message once the game has been fixed and once the DRM has been removed.

So you wouldn't need to click on the ''Silent Hunter 5 forum'' every day and we wouldn't have to see the same old and endless complains over and over and over again.
I totally agree with your suggestion.

After all it is just a game and not a life!

Closed Thread

Tags
best subsim, bug, complaints, drama, drm, far too silly, sh5