SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-21, 12:59 AM   #1
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5
Default [REL/WIP] Patch for FotRSU 1.46

Rename as Flaminus Add-on for FotRSU 1.46
download: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5877
================================
FotRSU is a great mod but there are still some minor glitches and I'm trying to provide fixes or possible solutions for future test. This add-on is recommended to be activated after Fleetboat Interior Mod, and it will:

1. change crew management inferface: providing new avatars and correct epaulettes of warrent officer; (This part comes from "Rank, Uniform & Insignia Mod (R.U.I.M.) v1.0 for SH4 v1.4 & 1.5 by John W. Hamm". FotRSU already uses the colthing settings of this mod.);

2. change keyboard command assignment. Now: "F" for plotting course, "Ctrl+F" for returning to course, "G" for max range at current speed, "F9" for toggling radio message ("F9 for conning tower" has already been disabled by Fleetboat Interior Mod);

3. restore the missing "T head" of JP Hydrophone;

4. add helmets for gun crew. The watchmen will aslo have helmets during "Battle station" status;

5. restore the red indicator of "test depth" in depth gauge;

6. have the correct crew showing in the command room: restoring the officer and removing the wrong guy from engine room. (Porpoise and S-boat are all right and need no modding);

7. integrate "CSL Pure Stopwatch Mod by ColonelSandersLite";

8. restore the correct occlusion map texture of gato hull and conning tower textures of gato and tambor;

9. restore the missing names of some US naval bases in south Pacific;

10. restore the descriptions of player's rank and increase the requirements of player promotion a little;

11. give the crew a longer but slower process for skill upgrading by promotion. Now the CPOs and warrent officers will also have opportunity to improve their specialities.

12. have complete settings and descriptions of all crew special abilities. (In FotRSU many descriptions of special abilities are missing. I compared the relevant files of Stock, TMO, and FotRSU then made new special ability functions and descriptions based on my own understanding, hoping to get a better balance of reality and gameplay.);

13. reduce the number of Japanese aircraft and pilot skill.(Japanese aircrafts in FotRSU are too powerful. The mod team already notices that and is working on it. Before next release, this may be a temporary sulotion.);

14. restore correct mid-war conning tower of salmon, sargo and tambor subs. And fix the matching issue of surface radar and conning tower.
There are several types of SJ radar mounts. Most fleet boats (Gato, Tambor, Gar) use "supported mount", while Porpoise and Narwhal use "shaft mount". Howerer, Salmon/Sargo use "shaft mount" in early/mid war conn, then shift to "supported mount" in late war conn. That will cause issue and may be the reason why original FotRSU use Gato conn, to avoid the changing of SJ radar mount types, I think.
This add-on makes both "supported mount" and "shaft mount" available for Salmon/Sargo, so that players can select corresponding type base on the conn which they currently have.

Since the FotRSU as well as relevent additional mods, such as vickers03's series, are still activly updating, This add-on will also follow any news about them.

Last edited by flaminus; 05-20-21 at 09:08 PM. Reason: rename the mod
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 02:27 AM   #2
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

awesome
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 08:42 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
================================
FotRSU is a great mod but there are still some minor glitches and I'm trying to provide fixes or possible solutions for future test. This patch is recommended to be activated after Fleetboat Interior Mod, and it will:
2021-5-20
flaminus
looks very interesting.
one item to think about changing is that there were few, if any, warrant officers serving in US submarines. serving officers were commissioned officers and there is a difference, which you can research on your own.
the game uses the three lowest commissioned officer ranks, which is very accurate: ensign, lt-jg, lt.
you may want to re-think that part of your mod.
i look forward to d/l it and giving it a try.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 09:17 AM   #4
flaminus
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
looks very interesting.
one item to think about changing is that there were few, if any, warrant officers serving in US submarines. serving officers were commissioned officers and there is a difference, which you can research on your own.
the game uses the three lowest commissioned officer ranks, which is very accurate: ensign, lt-jg, lt.

Thanks. Future research will be done.
Old 05-20-21, 12:08 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Do not call this a "Patch" for FotRSU, else you will run afoul of proper modding ettiquette. You are more than welcome to name it something like "flaminus's Add-On for FotRSU with FIM" or some such. The title "Patch" insinuates it is from the FotRSU Mod Team, and of course, it is not. Thanks

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 05:36 PM   #6
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
looks very interesting.

Concur about Warrant Officers. They're a mythical nautical creature like the Loch Ness Monster, the Kraken, or mermaids. Rumor is they can be summoned with an old unwashed coffee cup filled with the blackest bitter the mess decks can brew. And a carton of smokes.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 04:48 AM   #7
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

Regardless as to what you need to name your work ,its appreciated that you caught several "oversights" that the FOTRSU team seem to have overlooked. With a mod of such size and complexity you're bound to have more than a few "glitches" to work out and considering the scope of the work the FOTRSU team must be involved with its still amazes me it all comes together to work a well as it does.
Thanks for your efforts. It always seemed a bit off that there was no officer in my control room giving orders and i like the realism of having the helmets on during GQ. Hope your improvements will be happily incorporated into a future update
Old 05-21-21, 07:55 AM   #8
propbeanie

Thank you flaminus for changing the name of your work. We do appreciate that. As we've said before, what people do with a mod is to their own discretion, you just have to be careful what you call your work - and it is work, btw, as you can attest... Some of the details with the conns had not been realized until recently, and you (flaminus) did point out a couple of issues with them we were not aware of, our having been too busy testing other aspects of the mod. Some of your changes were already "in the can" for the next release, others are personal preference. We'll try to update you later, so you can make appropriate changes if you want to continue with your own "flavor to taste" version, as we'll apprise vickers03, so you folks can stay reasonably up-to-date with your changes.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, but it would be good if folks would remember what the terms "oversights", "glitches", "bugs", or "a bit off" sounds like to us who attempt to mod the game - for "free" no less - for the fun of sharing our ideas for the game. We are not perfect, and we do miss things - but we also leave certain things alone for a reason. One of those reasons is for someone else to do what they want with the mod, getting into more detail or whatever, and share their ideas.

Old 05-21-21, 08:57 AM   #9
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

I certainly meant no disrespect to you or the others on the FOTRSU development team using the terms i did.
On the contrary...I have the greatest admiration for the knowledge and skill that you and others have so generously demonstrated
and that's made a once half-baked subsim in to an enjoyable and realistic adventure.
FOTRSU is the reason I came back to SH4 after many years and look forward with enthusiasm any future releases.
Old 05-21-21, 11:02 AM   #10
flaminus
Sparky

It's always a pleasure to share ideas and fun of this game and my respect to FotRSU team is sincere. The usage of words like "bugs, glitches" is just to state facts and maybe I can't realise the feelings behind those words at 100%, since English is not mother tongue.
Old 05-21-21, 12:37 PM   #11
propbeanie

Exactly fellows. It is very difficult to convey intentions with the internet and online communications, even if you have voice comms. We will sometimes miss the inflection and intent of what is "spoken". When you throw in the fact that there is a "translation" factor from another language, it can be very difficult to find the "proper" words to convey the intentions - for all of us. No harm, no foul, and no insult taken from any of you folks, and I certainly mean no disrespect in my criticisms. Sorry for "hi-jacking" your thread flaminus! Carry on!

Old 05-21-21, 01:52 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar Re: Query...

Ahoy...

Am at loggerheads, as to where to properly address this.. query & do not want it being thought of hijacking the thread... BUT... given that this mod, is pretty much the last out the 'pipe' as it were... guess this is as good a place to start with.

To wit, I want to see of doing up a FotRS mix with the following, but am uncertain as to what order outside of the obvious ones.. to put them in order.

FotRS v1.46 (obviously 1st)
Nippon Maru (figure 2nd)

Here, is where it starts to get dicey & unclear:

vickers03:

FOTRSU 1.46 Sub Skins in 4k
US Battleflags/Conning Tower Emblems
EAX sound simulation (not sure if to go with this or to go with: speech overhaul or to use both, with 1 going in before the other... )

I would go with vicker03's work for the S class boats... but.. given My luck with attempting to do an S boat career... (or should I say, given My propensity for dying rather quickly in S boats... ) I have just decided to avoid S boats, altogether... I do however love the work that vickers has done for them...

Then, of course.. this mod. , which as I saw of, is said to have it, follow using: Fleetboat Interior: Officers Quarters.

Sooo... outside of the 1st 2, that I know to start off with... & the last 2.. the rest, is where I would appreciate any insight into what to use for definite.. & to know, just exactly what order to plug them in, for it to all work together.

Any advice...

Thanks.

M. M.

post edit:

1 other mod, I just realized, that I would also want to use... Moonlight's sonar mod... almost forgot about that 1... & the modified FotRS objectives mod... the 1 that changes up the objective icons on the nav map.. that 1, as well. & with that.. that's it.

I blame My.. forgetting those 2, to NOT having enough navy mud.. aka coffee, in Me..
Old 05-21-21, 02:19 PM   #13
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

^You can check this yourself Mad Mardigan, look inside every mod you add to FotRS ultimate edition and make sure it doesn't change the two DDS texture files below. If there are changes to those two files a simple way would be to activate the SonarLines mod last.

Data\Menu\Gui\
ContLine.dds
DashLine.dds
Old 05-21-21, 08:22 PM   #14
flaminus
Sparky

Ahoy MM, this is my mod soup and it seems stable so far:
===========
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.46_EN
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.46
BATTLEFLAG_CONNING_SEARAVEN_SS196
BATTLEFLAG_WARDROOM_SEARAVEN_SS196
BATTLEFLAGS_MERCHANT_SUNK_COUNT16
BATTLEFLAGS_WARSHIP_SUNK_COUNT20
Z01_Flaminus Add-on for FotRSU 1.46
FOTRSU_1.46_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
=============
There is a small conflict between my add-on and the 4K skin if you are running with S boat and Narwhal, but not serious problem (only losing the helmets in this case ). Because the FotRSU team is also working on some related files, we will check later and hope to make them perfectly compatible in the future.
Old 05-22-21, 04:56 AM   #15
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1783
Default Warrant Officer?

United States Submarines in WW2 didn't have Warrant Officers on board. So that whole rank should be removed from any mod. Just didn't happen.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote