SUBSIM Radio Room Forums



SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #151
John Pancoast
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Minnysoda
Posts: 2,390
Downloads: 409
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
And remember, Target speed is the most important piece of data to get right!

AOB and distance can be approximated and you will most likely still hit your target. But if you get the speed wrong then you might miss, even at close range.

What I like to do is to cross in front of the target (if possible surfaced). Once I have an AOB of 0° I know the targets course. I then continue until I have an AOB of 20°. I match the targets course and adjust my speed until I have a constant bearing. The targets speed is now the same as mine. Now I can dive and turn 90°. That way I don´t even have to estimate the range

A simple and effective method..... until they start to have escorts with radar, then it gets more complicated.
I like to get both the course and speed from where I'm shadowing, be it port, starboard, or in front. "Crossing the T" tends to be to dangerous for my tastes, radar or not; more movement = more chance of being spotted, i.e. I like 90 degree attacks too, so range/aob isn't relevant.
I don't bother trying it from astern; if you're going to attack you're going to have to move "up" anyway so I just do it then.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #152
derstosstrupp
Crush Depth Teammember
 
derstosstrupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,100
Downloads: 469
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
And remember, Target speed is the most important piece of data to get right!

AOB and distance can be approximated and you will most likely still hit your target. But if you get the speed wrong then you might miss, even at close range.

What I like to do is to cross in front of the target (if possible surfaced). Once I have an AOB of 0° I know the targets course. I then continue until I have an AOB of 20°. I match the targets course and adjust my speed until I have a constant bearing. The targets speed is now the same as mine. Now I can dive and turn 90°. That way I don´t even have to estimate the range

A simple and effective method..... until they start to have escorts with radar, then it gets more complicated.
Yeah that’s absolutely perfect in my opinion. I’m always harping on the stuff over in the Wolfpack community, it’s amazing how many people fiddle with range calculations, IDing everything, and angle on bow calculations by aspect ratio, all that stuff when all they need is this. Especially in that sim where, for the moment, targets are guaranteed not to change course or speed.
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #153
John Pancoast
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Minnysoda
Posts: 2,390
Downloads: 409
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Yeah that’s absolutely perfect in my opinion. I’m always harping on the stuff over in the Wolfpack community, it’s amazing how many people fiddle with range calculations, IDing everything, and angle on bow calculations by aspect ratio, all that stuff when all they need is this. Especially in that sim where, for the moment, targets are guaranteed not to change course or speed.
Exactly. Keep it simple. Some folks like to make things more complex than needed, which is fine, but it's not necessary or even completely historically accurate.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #154
Tonci87
Commander
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 467
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

The less complicated you make something, the less can go wrong.
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #155
John Pancoast
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Minnysoda
Posts: 2,390
Downloads: 409
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
The less complicated you make something, the less can go wrong.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #156
Jojojung
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 33
Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
How thick is that book?

Would you personally be able to visually identify a ship with the help of this book? Or is it just too much information to be practicable?

It has ca. 800 pages and the tables are very very small printed.


Yeah you can work with the silhouette quite well in TWoS.

Its the ultimate immersive object for me. And everytime the solution worked a have to show respect to the great and exact work of the modders.
In this Book there is a historical "how to use tutorial" in the beginning.



If you write me your E-Mail per PM I can give you an example. But its in german language of course.



In many books about the experiance on real patrols it is referred to the gröner handbook.
It was put to a Marinedienstvorschrift in 1942 (M.Dv.Nr. 135). The reprint is from 1976.
Jojojung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #157
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666
 
Aktungbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: where I'm at presently
Posts: 22,013
Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
A simple and effective method..... until they start to have escorts with radar, then it gets more complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Exactly. Keep it simple. Some folks like to make things more complex than needed, which is fine, but it's not necessary or even completely historically accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
The less complicated you make something, the less can go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON WAR
Everything in war is very simple. But the simplest thing is difficult.
Carl von Clausewitz
__________________
"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human stupidity; And I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #158
bstanko6
Sea Lord
 
bstanko6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Murwik Naval Academy
Posts: 2,028
Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13


Default

I’m proud of how this thread has grown! Everyone has contributed so much great stuff, and keeping on track with the theme of the title! Thank you folks.
__________________

BSTANKO6'S SH5 NAVAL ACADEMY
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPbe...W2NArCA/videos

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #159
Noonai
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Montreal, CA
Posts: 11
Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default

Small excerpt of my ongoing 1st war patrol report.

U-17.jpg

I find it very immersive to narrate the events and helps me think better.

I am heading back to Kiel after 4 days patrolling. Date is September 4th.
Still learning this game with the help of all of you.
Noonai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #160
Jojojung
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 33
Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
I’m proud of how this thread has grown! Everyone has contributed so much great stuff, and keeping on track with the theme of the title! Thank you folks.

I tought of it in another thread.
IRL the subcrew was trying to find out what was the ships name and what was the loading.
If you write your own KTB this information would be very great too.
SH3 Commander solve this by random names and Cargo etc. For me this was a very immersive element.

How could you add this aspect to TWoS?
Is there an opportunity to add this in the game by intercept radio messages? Like IRL the ships send a SOS message when they were hit often with its real position and name. This was one method to find out the ships name. The other was interrogation of survivors. Of course these two things were not always possible and succsessful. Is there an idea of implementing this in a game? Perhaps only by a pop up message that has a 33% chance to pop up when you reach the sinking place.



I asked this in another thread about SH5 modding but what does the option "Inform of destroyed messages" in the radio messages options mean? I have never recieved any of this messages i think. Does this feature work?
Perhaps you could use this feature for the idea of find more out about your victim ship.
Jojojung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #161
Tonci87
Commander
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 467
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojojung View Post
I tought of it in another thread.
IRL the subcrew was trying to find out what was the ships name and what was the loading.
If you write your own KTB this information would be very great too.
SH3 Commander solve this by random names and Cargo etc. For me this was a very immersive element.

How could you add this aspect to TWoS?
Is there an opportunity to add this in the game by intercept radio messages? Like IRL the ships send a SOS message when they were hit often with its real position and name. This was one method to find out the ships name. The other was interrogation of survivors. Of course these two things were not always possible and succsessful. Is there an idea of implementing this in a game? Perhaps only by a pop up message that has a 33% chance to pop up when you reach the sinking place.



I asked this in another thread about SH5 modding but what does the option "Inform of destroyed messages" in the radio messages options mean? I have never recieved any of this messages i think. Does this feature work?
Perhaps you could use this feature for the idea of find more out about your victim ship.

Sometimes you will receive a radio message when you sink a ship. It is rare though.
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #162
Jojojung
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 33
Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
Sometimes you will receive a radio message when you sink a ship. It is rare though.

Does anyone know how this mechanism works in TWoS and how to modify it?
Jojojung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #163
bstanko6
Sea Lord
 
bstanko6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Murwik Naval Academy
Posts: 2,028
Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13


Default

In real life, the could never confirm sinkings until they got home and received intelligence from spy’s, radio, and such.


Their KTB entry of ship and tonnage was a “guesstimate” until it was confirmed later.
__________________

BSTANKO6'S SH5 NAVAL ACADEMY
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPbe...W2NArCA/videos

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #164
John Pancoast
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Minnysoda
Posts: 2,390
Downloads: 409
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
In real life, the could never confirm sinkings until they got home and received intelligence from spy’s, radio, and such.


Their KTB entry of ship and tonnage was a “guesstimate” until it was confirmed later.
And in some cases BdU just accepted the claims without verification for propaganda, political, etc. reasons.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #165
Jojojung
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 33
Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
In real life, the could never confirm sinkings until they got home and received intelligence from spy’s, radio, and such.


Their KTB entry of ship and tonnage was a “guesstimate” until it was confirmed later.

Yes your right! But they tryed to figure out more information about the ship by interceps and interrogation. Many ships were paintet with wrong names and the survivors made incorrect information about name and cargo and so on.

You can read about this in many KTBs and in a lot of eyewitness reports. There was a addition to the Marinedienstvorschrift 135 "Suchliste für Schiffsnamen" (List of Shipnames) printed in 1943 to cover changing of names for existing ships. In the foreword it is said that this list (its more likley a book instead) should help to identify the single ship when the ships are renamed or when incomplete names.

This was used to fool the enemy.


Would be very great to implement the hole matter in TWoS!
Jojojung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2021 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.