SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-21, 05:21 AM   #181
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Gen. McKenzie acknowledged that there were tough days ahead for the Afghan government. "The Taliban are attempting to create a sense of inevitability about their campaign. They are wrong."

I could be wrong, but my gut feelings says the strike footage is just stock. I think the US is providing all the air support.

US vows continued air support for Afghan forces fighting Taliban

US Marine Corps General Kenneth McKenzie, commander of US Central Command
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...ghting-taliban

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; 07-26-21 at 08:03 AM.
Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 09:22 AM   #182
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'd certainly agree on who is supplying all the air support when you consider the Afghan inventory as set out in a table contained within the link below.

https://www.key.aero/article/analysi...raft-inventory

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 02:14 PM   #183
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

"the death of empires, starts with a death of logic"

"China to conduct joint actions with Pakistan"

Old 07-27-21, 02:16 PM   #184
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I could very well see Chinese troops in Afghanistan, not yet though maybe in 5 years from now.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 02:29 PM   #185
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I could very well see Chinese troops in Afghanistan, not yet though maybe in 5 years from now.

Markus
They have actually been there for awhile. There is a northeastern spur of Afghanistan that touches the Chinese border at Xinjiang

March 5, 2017 - Chinese troops appear to be operating in Afghanistan, and the Pentagon is OK with it

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...is-ok-with-it/

Old 07-27-21, 03:24 PM   #186
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

The first time any faction fires upon Chinese troops is when China will take the kid gloves off and start pouring men and materials into Afghanistan like the Russians and Americans should have done in the first place.

If its done like I expect the Chinese to do it the Taliban will be overwhelmed, outgunned and outmanned they'll have to resort to night attacks as fighting in broad daylight will be the death of them.

The Taliban are going to have to make some hard decisions soon as the Chinese won't be using any Rules of Engagement nonsense if it comes down to a fight.
Old 08-12-21, 11:27 PM   #187
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I belonged to those who believed that the situation would soon fall apart after a withdrawel. But the pace at which the Taleban move the time back to pre 2001, is so breathtaking that even I am surprised. I gave the Kabul government 6 months to lose the country. 6 days would have been a closer expectation.

This cannot be explained with military factors alone, I think. There must be a willingness in people to just let things slide back, at least in many. Which holds a lesson on how unsuccessful the West really was in changing "hearts and minds".

The German SED member Gregor Gysi wants to give financial aid to the Taleban, because then, so he dreams and in his own words, "we could dictate them terms and conditions."

Im speechless that a body without brains nevertheless can walk around and make sounds. Its a medical mystery to me.
Old 08-13-21, 04:25 AM   #188
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Which holds a lesson on how unsuccessful the West really was in changing "hearts and minds".

Old 08-13-21, 04:30 AM   #189
Skybird
Soaring

Video not available in Germany due to copyright issues raised by Studiocanal.
Old 08-13-21, 04:37 AM   #190
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Video not available in Germany due to copyright issues raised by Studiocanal.
Its the scene from Apocalypse Now where Col Kurtz gives his monologue about how ruthless is the enemy, that it would be impossible to defeat them without the same ruthlessness. Here is another youtube but perhaps anything like this might not be available to you.

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; 08-13-21 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-13-21, 04:50 AM   #191
Skybird
Soaring

Thanks. I know the scene and your link also works.

I just found this link. The biggest harassment of the Afghan forces probably is - and we knew it - corruption.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58187410
Old 08-13-21, 07:00 AM   #192
Skybird
Soaring

Just a random find, a snippet from a text in "Die Welt" that otherwise is behing a paywall. A German veteran, a sergeant mayor, told the reporter this:

"When I read on the news these days what is happening in Afghanistan: I am not surprised. We knew it was going to come that way. I once asked villagers: What is better, the time under the Taliban or the time with us now? The answer was: the Taliban. Because they are predictable and there was no corruption. Because calm without freedom and with Sharia law is more bearable than constant war with fear for the lives of women and children."
Old 08-13-21, 09:14 AM   #193
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The US and UK have scrambled reinforcements to Kabul to help evacuate their diplomats, soldiers and citizens as well as thousands of Afghans who have worked with them, as the Taliban advance towards the capital.

The Pentagon announced it would send three battalions, about 3,000 soldiers, to Kabul’s international airport within 24 to 48 hours of the announcement on Thursday. The defence department spokesman, John Kirby, said the reinforcements would help the “safe and orderly reduction” of US nationals and Afghans who worked with the Americans and consequently had been granted special immigrant visas.

The UK said it would send 600 troops, and the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, said Britain was relocating its embassy from the outskirts of the secure Green Zone to a potentially safer location closer to the centre of the capital.

As many as 200 UK diplomats and soldiers are being evacuated, but precise numbers are not being given. Britain expects to evacuate up to 4,000 entitled Afghans as well. Other western governments are also accelerating plans for the evacuation of embassy staff amid fears over the Taliban’s relentless advance across the country.

Canadian special forces will deploy to Afghanistan where embassy staff in Kabul will be evacuated before closing, an official told Associated Press on Thursday.

The German embassy in Kabul put out a tweet on Thursday urging all its citizens to leave the country as fast as possible on commercial flights.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hanistan-grows

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 11:20 AM   #194
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
The Russians, having marched across the bridge in retreat; The U.S., doing a bugout like the departure from 'Nam; the Chinese are now preparing to move in with their
globally domineering thinly disguised Road & Belt Initiative to support the new (whichever)regime in Afghanistan... considering that Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan really couldn't handle this region either, Comrade Xi is welcome to try....
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Kabul will likely see scenes like this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The US and UK have scrambled reinforcements to Kabul to help evacuate their diplomats, soldiers and citizens as well as thousands of Afghans who have worked with them, as the Taliban advance towards the capital.

The Pentagon announced it would send three battalions, about 3,000 soldiers, to Kabul’s international airport within 24 to 48 hours of the announcement on Thursday. The defence department spokesman, John Kirby, said the reinforcements would help the “safe and orderly reduction” of US nationals and Afghans who worked with the Americans and consequently had been granted special immigrant visas.

The UK said it would send 600 troops, and the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, said Britain was relocating its embassy from the outskirts of the secure Green Zone to a potentially safer location closer to the centre of the capital.

As many as 200 UK diplomats and soldiers are being evacuated, but precise numbers are not being given. Britain expects to evacuate up to 4,000 entitled Afghans as well. Other western governments are also accelerating plans for the evacuation of embassy staff amid fears over the Taliban’s relentless advance across the country.

Canadian special forces will deploy to Afghanistan where embassy staff in Kabul will be evacuated before closing, an official told Associated Press on Thursday.

The German embassy in Kabul put out a tweet on Thursday urging all its citizens to leave the country as fast as possible on commercial flights.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hanistan-grows
DÄS BÜGOUT 102! ie:
How not to look Pukka Sahib in retreat!!...again...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-13-21 at 11:30 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 11:48 AM   #195
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Needs some with Afghan footage:

LOL, I see nanny big tech strikes again.