SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-20, 06:07 PM   #361
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Sub Nets?

December 19, 1941... Patrolling within 5 nm of Wotje Island, Wotje Atoll, Marshall Islands. Gun emplacement observed on the island and a stationary contact within the atoll at at 7,600 yards SW of the island.

Proceeded into shallow water at periscope depth south of the contact. Hit what seemed like a brick wall at the shallowest depth. Sustained a lot of damage very quickly. Maybe a sub net running parallel with the shallow water line?

Looked at sub with the unit view and it seemed like the sub was entangled within a wall of net, mesh or something and there were round floats along the top like they were holding up a sub net?

Are there sub nets and other items in FotRS UE protecting all of the Marshall Island atolls? As well as other islands and atolls?
Old 01-17-20, 09:02 PM   #362
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
December 19, 1941... Patrolling within 5 nm of Wotje Island, Wotje Atoll, Marshall Islands. Gun emplacement observed on the island and a stationary contact within the atoll at at 7,600 yards SW of the island.

Proceeded into shallow water at periscope depth south of the contact. Hit what seemed like a brick wall at the shallowest depth. Sustained a lot of damage very quickly. Maybe a sub net running parallel with the shallow water line?

Looked at sub with the unit view and it seemed like the sub was entangled within a wall of net, mesh or something and there were round floats along the top like they were holding up a sub net?

Are there sub nets and other items in FotRS UE protecting all of the Marshall Island atolls? As well as other islands and atolls?
Short answer, yes, and you hit one.
Old 01-17-20, 11:42 PM   #363
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are mine fields also, so definitely be careful if you plan on harbor raiding. Some of them fight back. The mine fields do "blossom" as time progresses. Not all "historical" areas protected by mines are covered in FotRSU. Subnets are used as "obstacles" in some shallows, to represent reefs and the like, but not all locations are done that way. It would be nice if the game could represent reefs better, but oh well...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 09:12 AM   #364
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Quote:

I ran into nets in that area also. First time running 2/3 or standard at TC 16 or 32. Sustained lots of damage.
Reload. try again much slower no TC, noticed I was set for 1/3 but making 0 Knots (on the surface) external camera showed the net under water.
I now approach all atoll shallows with caution.

Prop: anyway to "see" mines as you near them?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 10:50 AM   #365
propbeanie

Daylight is a requirement, and you have to be mindful of your depth. Depending upon which periscope you are at, either <Page Up> or <Ins(ert)> just enough to clear the shears and have a slight visual forward. Don't strain your eyes too much though. It is a bit like driving through fog. Objects appear like ghosts through the mists... You might only see the cables if you are too deep for the mines themselves, but the cable can hook your boat and pull the mine down on top of you. I do not recall if there is a cable scraping sound or not... If anyone experiments with wandering into a minefield, be sure and let the others here know ... You can 'see' the nets this way also... Setting the speed with the knot dial to One (1) knot can help, but don't forget about the current and sideways movement ...

Old 01-19-20, 10:52 AM   #366
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:

Yes and mines as well

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 10:56 AM   #367
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
I ran into nets in that area also. First time running 2/3 or standard at TC 16 or 32. Sustained lots of damage.
Reload. try again much slower no TC, noticed I was set for 1/3 but making 0 Knots (on the surface) external camera showed the net under water.

Raise your periscope while submerged. You will definitely see them.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-19-20, 11:01 AM   #368
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post

I have found a few atolls I like to hunt.

My strategy is to wait till night and move in on the surface running over the nets if I am going to cut across shallows instead of using more time to run the channels. I have notice that this move is Submarine Class dependent. What I mean is that one class runs the surface shallow enough to miss the nets ...

...some classes however run deep and will ground you on the net.

Some atolls have nets and mines. On one particular atoll I know exactly where the mines are and I will be testing the snagging cable scenario today and give a report.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-19-20, 12:43 PM   #369
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Daylight is a requirement, and you have to be mindful of your depth.

Check your PM

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-19-20, 02:41 PM   #370
dark270
Swabbie

Downloads: 53
Default hey

Just wanted to pop in, and say how much i really LOVE this mod, i know it may sound cheesy, but im longtime fan of the entire silent hunter games/uboat etc. this mod is truly enjoyable! followed instruction and clean install. i don't use the compatibility mode for windows 7 i just use win 10 and it runs no problems, and such fun i cant put it down!!! anyhow much thanks to the great ppl that spent their time/modding power on this mod!!!! please keep it up!
dark270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 04:33 PM   #371
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82

What about fuel consumption?
Is there any issue with it?After one month patrol it's still 99%!
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 07:58 PM   #372
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4

So, in my career for now i had 3 ctd, and always i think it was with aircraft in the area, i don't know if someone mentioned this already but just reporting this problem.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 09:52 AM   #373
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
I would check your installation. That should not be occurring. I'm running a clean installation and fuel consumption seems normal.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-20-20, 05:27 PM   #374
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
As merc4ulfate mentions, check your install. You cannot use old Saves, and the old Save folder has to be emptied before using FotRSU. You also cannot shell out to Windows, else odd things happen in the game. You also need to enable a 4gig patch, which flips a couple of bits on the SH4.exe file. In all of the above, be sure and read the first posts in this thread, and / or the help files in the Support folder of your game after you activate FotRSU. Either that, or you have "unlimited fuel" checked in the settings menu. For the Single Missions and Quick Patrols, you use the Main Menu and Options. In the career, you use the Options menu in the Captain's Office at your Home Port. In the US side, that is found by clicking the radio console to the left of the desk. In the German side, it is the filing cabinet to the left of the exit door, or to the right of the wall map...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
So, in my career for now i had 3 ctd, and always i think it was with aircraft in the area, i don't know if someone mentioned this already but just reporting this problem.
Yes, there were problems with almost all of the planes to some extent, and some of the planes had bad issues. Nothing that would take you out on their own, but put more than a few in a scene, and your computer is quickly overloaded and can be brought down. s7rikeback has finished going through every single airplane's cfg, eqp, sns and other files, and all airplanes are now in "compliance". He has also generated a spreadsheet that will be included with the mod, and it must be adhered to by any mission builder, else they will run afoul of the set-ups... Next release is once again in testing phase, with another incremental version number up-tic... more later. Watch the first page of the thread!

Old 01-22-20, 12:47 PM   #375
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As merc4ulfate mentions, check your install. You cannot use old Saves, and the old Save folder has to be emptied before using FotRSU. You also cannot shell out to Windows, else odd things happen in the game. You also need to enable a 4gig patch, which flips a couple of bits on the SH4.exe file. In all of the above, be sure and read the first posts in this thread, and / or the help files in the Support folder of your game after you activate FotRSU. Either that, or you have "unlimited fuel" checked in the settings menu. For the Single Missions and Quick Patrols, you use the Main Menu and Options. In the career, you use the Options menu in the Captain's Office at your Home Port. In the US side, that is found by clicking the radio console to the left of the desk. In the German side, it is the filing cabinet to the left of the exit door, or to the right of the wall map...

Thanks for the reply.I know and I don't use old saves, I've deleted the save folder,I play with limited fuel and I use the 4gig patch(I think that the patch has to do only with CTDs).I'm almost sure about my installation and maybe an accidental shell to Windows is the culprit.However, I tried a new war patrol and it works OK.The problem exists in my campaign.Should I start a new one or the issue will be fixed when back to base?
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote