SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-17, 04:58 PM   #1
stevieshae
Yak-38M "Forger-A" Pilot

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Please Infrom me on the usage[play style] of RUS Subs

I Have been working hard at trying to understand the playstyle of the russian subs, but since the new mod and game updates, the second I close in with a "RO/SD" Everything starts firing at me. I would love if someone could link me a guide or a video please. I love the typhoon, and I'm ****ing pissed this game came out as they are getting rid of the typhoon class. So I guess my question is, I know Jiv has amazing tutorials but they are very in depth for a new to sub sim user. I would love if someone could please help me out here.
stevieshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 05:25 PM   #2
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

My only suggestion at this point in a non-technical first shot (not knowing what you are doing wrong) is keep your distance and go slow. Rus subs are not as quiet as US subs and their electronics are not as sensitive so you will detect US subs well within their firing range. They are generally faster and deeper diving.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 06:38 PM   #3
stevieshae
Yak-38M "Forger-A" Pilot

Downloads: 33

So go low?
stevieshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 07:29 PM   #4
-Pv-
The Old Man

The depth you use at any given time is dependent on circumstances.
You should be using all three dimensions and speed and constantly switch as the situation requires. Again, these are generalizations since I have no idea what you are actually doing.

As I mentioned "Generally" rus subs in the 80s time period were superior to "some" US subs in speed and diving depth, inferior in electronics. In both US and Rus, speed kills unless you use it at the right time. Depth gives you more vertical room to maneuver (usually used for getting away or keeping your distance for long range shots.) Getting close to US subs is suicide. Best to shoot salvo at long range and hope you get lucky.

If you take one thing I say and rely on it, you'll fail.

-Pv-
Old 09-08-17, 08:03 PM   #5
-Pv-
The Old Man

If you are up against US subs, use the layer to hide if there is one. The AI will almost always stay under it. If you are up against surface ships, getting close is not going to work. Shoot and run. If up against a mix of surface and subs, your only choice is to salvo from as long a range as possible and run like a rabbit.

If you are really close to a sub, use your speed to close with it before its torps arm then shoot it in the rear.

Rus subs are famous for using the "Lazy Ivan" to make up for inferior sensors to clear their baffles.
-Pv-
Old 09-12-17, 08:42 PM   #6
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
Rus subs are famous for using the "Cazy Ivan" to make up for inferior sensors to clear their baffles.
-Pv-
Fix'd
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, play style, russian sub, tutorial?