Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Old 03-31-20, 07:32 PM   #2177
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

In Russia we are lifting taxes and the like as supporting measures rather than increasing goverment spending per say.
Old 03-31-20, 08:40 PM   #2178
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Yeah sailors operate these ships in mostly sealed environments in extreme close quarters. They sleep in multi tier bunks, they share lavatories and mess facilities. I'd bet the entire crew was exposed within a day or two of the virus coming aboard.

You know back in the old days ships had to raise the plague flag and remain at sea for two weeks until the last case had either died or recovered. I am not saying that's what they should do here but the TRs crew might give us a good indication as to what the true rate of infection will be, at least among younger relatively healthy Americans. Even the Captain the "Old Man" is probably only in his late 30's early 40's.
You know what sailors do every morning at 8am, right?

They have colors and they have divisional musters with some meeting topside and some meeting in the hanger deck with those on watch being exempted in port only.

They don't stand 6' from each other either, they cough, they spit, they laugh and they all answer up. This aircraft carrier will have to evacuate all of the ones that tested positive and the ship quarantined with a skeleton crew.
First class and above do not do common labor neither do the officers.

A clean up crew of 2nd class and below will have to be brought in to santize the ship.

These are the things that admirals in the Pentagon will have to deal with ...

I can't imagine what will happen to the Army and Air Force if it happens to them.

This is a big deal and if not handled right will see sailors dying far from home.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 09:01 PM   #2179
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
You know what sailors do every morning at 8am, right?

They have colors and they have divisional musters with some meeting topside and some meeting in the hanger deck with those on watch being exempted in port only.

They don't stand 6' from each other either, they cough, they spit, they laugh and they all answer up.

Sounds just like morning company formations in the Army.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 09:54 PM   #2180
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Sounds just like morning company formations in the Army.
Yes and I think they call it 'Morning Quarters' in the Navy
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 11:39 PM   #2181
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

So we're gonna spend $6,682 for every single citizen of the USA with this "first" $2,200,000,000,000
Old 04-01-20, 01:57 AM   #2182
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Before you condemn Falwell & Liberty University, you should look a little deeper into why the University remained "open", and the precautions taken for the students that did remain. here's a hint, that university has a large contingent of international Students.

There's a major flaw in your last statement; here's a hint...

...LOTS of colleges, universities, and other places of higher learning have large, if not larger contingents of international students...

...and, guess what? They did close down and turn away students as precautionary moves to prevent the spread of Covid-19; and, as far as I've heard, they still remain closed. Right here in Los Angeles, there are two major universities, the University of Southern California (USC), and the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA); USC is a private university and UCLA is a public, state-run university; both have larger international student populations with USC having more than 25% (over 12,000 students) of their total students from other countries and UCLA having about 20% of its total students from other countries...

...and one thing both campuses have in common: they both shut down and are continuing to stay shut down from the very earliest days of the call to isolate. There is here, in Hollywood, a school that is solely devoted to teaching the English language to foreign students and they have shut down also; I am aware of this because the school , several years ago, leased out an entire building in the complex where I live for the use of student housing, solely for their students; there has been an apparent decrease in activity in the building, so I'm guessing a good many of the students may have returned to their homelands, at least for the duration...

Hundreds, more likely, thousands of college and university campuses have likewise shut down a great many of them with international student populations; outside of Liberty, though, I haven't heard of any of them being foolish enough, mercenary enough, or vain enough to risk student lives by reopening...

So, the argument of reopening for the sake of the international students rigs hollow and sounds more like an attempt to deflect from a very foolish and stupid decision by Liberty University and its leader. Falwell made a marked, public point of scoffing at the seriousness of the virus and made a marked, public point of the reopening as a 'middle-finger' to science and common sense. He has no one to blame but himself and no one else but him will be blamed if the students of Liberty College are maimed or killed by his foolishness and hubris. I very much doubt a jury and/or court will believe he or anyone else who puts the lives of others at risk solely for personal or political gain and acted with careless, and possibly criminal, disregard for human life...

...and, no, Falwell is not being criticized because of his faith or politics; it is because he is a foolish, callous, idiotic jerk...

...and you don't want to know how some of us really think about people like him...

Quote:
My boss said that he read somewhere that the Wuhan Center for Disease Control and Prevention sold the animals they had tested at their center to the same market in Wuhan to make a little money on the side

Chinese researchers isolated deadly bat coronaviruses near Wuhan animal market

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...iruses-near-/?

A word of caution about using the Washington Times, or, for that matter, the Washington Examiner, as an authoritative source for information; both have a rather sketchy history regarding pushing conspiracy theory as fact and both have marked agendas that make the 'mainstream media' look like paragons of total honesty; if you read something from the Washington Times/Examiner, it is best to also look up other sources to back up their assertions or reportage; they do serve one good purpose: I often look to them as a sort of bellwether of changing attitudes in politics or social currents; if they publish articles critical of persons or issues they normally espouse, it is usually a very good indicator of a significant change in the opinions of their readership and represented demograpgic...

As Reagan used to say, "Trust, but verify"...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 04-01-20 at 02:16 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 02:12 AM   #2183
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The group of people for whom the rest of us should have very deep respect is those in the healthcare front lines. Their jobs are difficult in the best of times and must be immeasurably so in this crisis. I have seen reports of citizens applauding in appreciation some of the medical staffs as they enter and leave their workplaces; no one deserves acknowledgement more than them, in these times...

Perhaps a step further in appreciation is due to those who have left the medical care field and have chosen to reenter to lend their help and expertise in easing the burden of current caregivers and patients...

Over 25,000 Licensed Health Professionals And Students Signed Up To Help With California’s COVID-19 Response --

http://www.capradio.org/articles/202...ring-covid-19/

...and its not just California; this sort of out-reach has been repeated in places throughout the US. A big salute to all of them...

Also give a thought to the fact they are only as effective as the support they have and the means they have to do their tasks in this crisis...

I was a nurse for 30 years. We're being drafted into war, but our commander-in-chief refuses to give us the weapons and protection we need to fight it. --

https://www.businessinsider.com/i-wa...navurus-2020-3

In the past, I've cited an old automobile ad slogan in invoking the need to trust those who actually do the jobs: "Ask the man who owns one". In a case of medical crisis, I think I'm gonna put my faith in those are actually doing the jobs and not in those who are only talking about doing the jobs...

<O>
Old 04-01-20, 04:29 AM   #2184
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
I can't imagine what will happen to the Army and Air Force if it happens to them.
"if"...?
Old 04-01-20, 05:09 AM   #2185
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

19 percent growth today.
Old 04-01-20, 07:09 AM   #2186
Skybird
Soaring

Spanish infection rate slows down a bit.

Two German corvettes quarantined. Soldiers in German overseas contingents diagnosed with Corona.

Austrian unemployment rate up by 50%.
Old 04-01-20, 07:28 AM   #2187
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Spain records a record daily death toll of 864 as Europe passes another grim milestone in the pandemic.

The official death toll in Iran is now more than 3,000.

US President Donald Trump urges Americans to follow guidelines, calling it "a matter of life and death"

The US death toll surpasses 4,000 and there are fears as many as 200,000 people could die there.

A British national is among four people to have died on the virus-hit Zaandam cruise ship.

There are now more than 800,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 around the world.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 07:31 AM   #2188
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 07:46 AM   #2189
Skybird
Soaring

A supermarket in Vienna today. Employees distribute face masks to customers.

Wowh. It can be done: distributing face masks! No excuses made, they just started to do it and found solutions for existing shortcomings, obviously. - To be fair, Kurz admitted that the full implementaitonw ill take a coupel fo days and not in all places they already have enough masks finsihed. But they do it.

Germany: today, more municipalities have announced they will join the enforcement of wearing face masks. Stupid progressive intellectuals however, who often enjoy the benefits of living at the cost of the state, want a debate on whether that violates profound civil liberties, some even claim the use of masks is pointless. They should be chraged with attempted physical violance. -We should stop counting Corona cases, and have no more statistics. The pandemic would all by itself dissappear! The SOB at the WHO still insist that masks should not be worn. Can we send a firing squad over there, please? These retards really have turned out to become a threat to mankind.

I was to the baker three hours ago, and noticed that this crisis kind of separates the good from the bad: some people behave more politely and obliging, a few ones however seem to behave even more dumb and aggressive and uncaring. The latter are the killer argument against Merkel'S moralising and educating and preaching of that we should trust in the other and care for each other and protect the other instead of also protecting ourselves. It takes just one of these idiots and you runnign into him, to have him ruining your day, your health, your life. And they tell us we should not protect us against these idiots?

Wear a mask. Protect the others from youself, AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE OTHERS: there is zero argument against wanting to protect yourself as well, none. By staying healthy and not becoming a patient you avoid mounting pressure on the hospitals: thats why they also tell you to stay at home if possible! Use the best material that is available to you. You are dumb if you don't. Do not hoard it, however. Do not waste it, but sterilize and re-use it (which today also has become official recommendation of the German government to all hospitals and everbody).

Last edited by Skybird; 04-01-20 at 08:11 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 08:26 AM   #2190
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Sadly we are out of comercially available surgical masks and filtering half mask respirators so even if people did desire to buy them - they couldn't.

And civili defence stocks do not seem to include much in terms of surgical masks, just the R2 (aka U-2K) filtering half masks.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan