SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-20, 02:07 PM   #136
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid1940 View Post
Hi propbeanie

In reply I had my several SH4 modded games running quite sweet for the last two to three years and it was only the other day that Windows decided it didn't like SH4.exe!!

All mods are run outside of "program files" with some being on two separate external hard drives and no problems at all.

I can only assume that a recent Windows update decided that the UAC should block this file and of course it affected ALL my SH4 installs including the external drives.

But now, having turned off UAC, I can run all of my modded games again and I am quite happy to run with UAC off.
Well... imagine that... another user with UAC turned-off so that they can run "legacy" apps... I wonder if that's what's going on with my Steam SH3 and SH5 on my Win10 laptop?... You should NOT have to bend over (including backwards) to get things running in Win10 like this, because of an update... In your case, I wonder if it has to do with the use of external hard drives... are you on USB or eSATA?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 05:24 PM   #137
kiwikid1940
Watch

Downloads: 412
Uploads: 0

Hi propbeanie,

All my external hard drives are connected to desktop computer via USB cables.
kiwikid1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 05:58 PM   #138
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck View Post
Pardon the intrusion...

Depending on which version of Win10 (I run Win10Pro) you are running, there was a recent Windows 10 update around the beginning of September, 2019, that added Ransomware Protection to lock down "Documents"/"My Documents" from being unintentionally changed.

If you're running the game full-screen, you may or may not see the Security Warnings about a program trying to access those save game files. You may have to ALLOW the changes to be made to the files/folders. (it got to be such a royal PITA to me that I turned off the Security setting)

Check under Settings then Update & Security then Windows Security then Virus & Threat protection then down to the Ransomware protection. Manage ransomware protection. "Controlled folder access" might be the culprit in this case.
I updated my win 10 pro today and a couple of hours later I gave SH4 a whirl, none of the saves would work, I knew I'd just read about this fix so I went in and disabled Ransomware protection, lo and behold it loaded my last save without doing anything else to it, Microsoft should check these things first the bloody fools.
Old 04-08-20, 06:38 PM   #139
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I thought a new post was needed for this Ransomware Protection thingie.

Further investigation into this Ransomware Protection thingie was needed as several other of my games use saves in the Documents folder, so I turned it back on and did the steps below.
If you click "Manage Ransomware Protection" and on the next screen select "Allow an app through Controlled folder access" the next screen gives you a "+ Add an allowed app" select that box and then "Browse all apps" choose sh4 - Shortcut and voila your games should work just like mine are doing, you don't have to disable Ransomware Protection after all.
Old 04-09-20, 08:34 AM   #140
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Lucky me, my slightly OCD habit of never installing games in C:\Program Files pays off.

I created a new Steam library on a hard drive that isn't C: for SH4 to run off of. Plenty space for mods too.

FWIW the awful graphics seem to have been a first-run thing. I guess SH4 needs to restart entirely to adapt correctly to a new resolution setting. Looks a lot better now, but I'll still be tweaking w/ some mods.
Old 04-17-20, 03:14 PM   #141
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid1940 View Post
But now, having turned off UAC, I can run all of my modded games again and I am quite happy to run with UAC off.
Does it help with SH4 Uboat add-on?

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-20, 03:33 PM   #142
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Although I have the game on Windows 7 on a fast desktop rig, some days ago I did install it on my gaming laptop in Windows 10. I didn't have to switch on compatibility mode or something, but that's because in the installer I have changed the install location to

C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific

which is a free accessible folder. I would do the same with SH3 / SH5.

Maybe if you don't have a dedicated security suite, then you need to set an exception rule in Windows Defender or savegames may not be written in your Documents\SH4 folder.

Also if you use megamods, the readme warns you that you must start a new carrer, old saves won't work.

What I had to do is to set a framerate cap to 300 for the game, otherwise the game goes crazy FPS when in the menu.

I'm playing with these mods over SH4 U-Boat Missions v. 1.5:
1.0 TMO_RSRDC_OTC
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_German PPI Screen
2.0 Ralles ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC

Greetings,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 10:54 PM   #143
Luno
Ensign

Downloads: 123

Hi everyone, long time no play! Getting back into SH4.

I have a laptop without a disk drive so I went ahead and bought the UPlay version to download ($3...it's cheaper than a disk drive).

I had trouble getting it to work. I tried running as an administrator and in compatibility mode with Windows XP (SP2), but neither action seemed to work.

**Last, I changed the resolution scale from 125% to 100%. Everything on my laptop screen is super tiny, but now the game works! This was not in any of the threads I had read thus far, so I hope this helps someone!
Victories: 1 Merchants (4519 GRT), 0 Warships (0 GRT), 0 Aircraft
Sunk with all hands lost.

Luno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 11:37 PM   #144
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Luno! after a loong silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 02:24 PM   #145
billkunert
Swabbie

Downloads: 23
Default SH4 Gold won't load in Win10

I tried loading SH4 Gold on a new Dell laptop and when I try to start the game I get a big red message that 'This app has been blocked for your protection'. Running Win 10 Home on a Dell with 12 gig ram and a latest generation I7 processor. Disabled UAC - no help. Program is installed on C drive in a newly created Games folder. Thanks for any suggestions. I've gone through the SH4 on Win 10 threads and didn't find an answer.

Last edited by billkunert; 08-19-20 at 02:57 PM.
billkunert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 03:04 PM   #146
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkunert View Post
I tried loading SH4 Gold on a new Dell laptop and when I try to start the game I get a big red message that 'This app has been blocked for your protection'. Running Win 10 Home on a Dell with 12 gig ram and a latest generation I7 processor. Disabled UAC - no help. Program is installed on C drive in a newly created Games folder. Thanks for any suggestions. I've gone through the SH4 on Win 10 threads and didn't find an answer.
If memory hasn't failed Me... should be a ''more info'' link in that window.. again, if I'm remembering that correctly... clicking that should open that box more so & there should be a ''run anyway'' option available...

But.. don't quote Me 100% on that, as I could be remembering that wrongly..

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 08-19-20 at 06:37 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 07:39 PM   #147
billkunert
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If memory hasn't failed Me... should be a ''more info'' link in that window.. again, if I'm remembering that correctly... clicking that should open that box more so & there should be a ''run anyway'' option available...

But.. don't quote Me 100% on that, as I could be remembering that wrongly..

M. M.

There is no option except to close the warning.
Old 08-19-20, 08:26 PM   #148
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

billkunert! Nice silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 07:35 AM   #149
billkunert
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkunert View Post
There is no option except to close the warning.
I managed to eliminate the danger warning by completely disabling UAC, not just setting the slider at minimum but actually shutting it off. Now I have to find out why the game won't load. I ought to be able to find some thing in this thread.
Old 08-20-20, 07:42 AM   #150
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

When you installed SH4, did you also install the Windows DirectX v9.0c and Windows Media Codecs that came with the SH4 install?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote