Old 03-06-10, 05:35 PM   #91
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachiman View Post
Ok thanx guys.

Howd you make the recognition manual appear?
Finish the tutorial patrol, then on your first real one you'll have access to the WO from the scope screen. Before locking anything tell him to Turn ON TDC then when you lock something the filterable Req Manual will appear.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 09:30 PM   #92
Icarus
Swabbie

Downloads: 45

anybody found a way to get the clock/chronometer?
I only get it when using time compression...
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 11:23 PM   #93
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
anybody found a way to get the clock/chronometer?
I only get it when using time compression...
Shortcut: "O" (letter)
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 11:59 PM   #94
weeksatsea
Watch

Downloads: 31

Shift + Z = hide interface = good !
weeksatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:28 AM   #95
Gammelpreusse
Planesman

Downloads: 90

Ok, no idea if that is common knowledge, but if you want to quick equip your boat with torpedos when in port, instead of drag and dropping each eel an alternative is to simply click the toperdo you want to equip, then click on "Equip" repeatingly. Each click puts another fish into the bays.
Gammelpreusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:52 AM   #96
hachiman
Planesman

Downloads: 33

I don't have the keyboard exactly the same as the one in the F1 screen and don't have the slash button where it says for x1 time compression. I have a UK keyboard. Which key is it on the UK keyboard??

I have another query. I have a radio message to go to what looks like gridsquare GR07. However there are no characters on the squares so i don't know where to go??

Thanx

Last edited by hachiman; 03-07-10 at 09:29 AM.
hachiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 10:07 AM   #97
brandtryan
Engineer

Downloads: 122
Default Where are screenshots

I saw the question in this thread--but didn't see the answer--any help? I can't find my screenshots--
Old 03-07-10, 12:09 PM   #98
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94

screenshots are in the folder where SH5 is installed, to take screens press CTRL+F11
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 01:17 PM   #99
gerwim
Nub

Downloads: 0

Hi guys,

So i'm completely new to the SH franchise and at this point I really like it. I'm playing on the most noobiest skill at the moment which is low. Yet I have a question:

I'm on the first mission to kill those british merchant ships, but how am I supposed to spot them? I just click in the area I need to be, and time compression to like 5000x until I see a red rectangle on the map and see it's a merchant ship.. Is this the way how to play this game? I mean I can go on top of the sub and check the horizon continually but that doesn't really work if you ask me.

Thanks in advance people!
Gerwim
gerwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 04:32 PM   #100
rsslcs
Bosun

Downloads: 72

How can I control flooding? My command room is at 30% flooding, and I cant order my chief engineer to make a damage control team. Is there another way that I haven't seen?
rsslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:16 PM   #101
gandalf71
Loader

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerwim View Post
Hi guys,

So i'm completely new to the SH franchise and at this point I really like it. I'm playing on the most noobiest skill at the moment which is low. Yet I have a question:

I'm on the first mission to kill those british merchant ships, but how am I supposed to spot them? I just click in the area I need to be, and time compression to like 5000x until I see a red rectangle on the map and see it's a merchant ship.. Is this the way how to play this game? I mean I can go on top of the sub and check the horizon continually but that doesn't really work if you ask me.

Thanks in advance people!
Gerwim
Welcome aboard Gerwim!

Your experience is not so uncommon, that's like what the submarine war was in real life: boringly zigzagging around and watching holes into the sky for days and weeks without seeing any enemy ships. Have you ever watched "Das Boot"? That is what it was like.

OK now some hints:
- from my experience any TC value above 128x causes the simulation to behave strange, beside of that you won't be able to react if you run into an enemy.
- the red rectangles appearing somewhere near or far on the map, are radio contacts (contacts which have been intercepted by your radio operator or contacts radioed in by your supreme command). If you set course for those rectangles the ships will be gone long before you reach that point. Click on that rectangles and you get some further information about speed and bearing of that contact, if available. Go to the map and draw a line in the approximate direction of the contacts bearing. Draw a circle of the contacts travel distance in one hour and mark that distances along the line (e.g. a contact reported with 10kn will travel with a speed of 18,5 km/h). If you can reach a point on that line in about 5 hours with the contact presumed near that point, you'll have a good chance to intercept the target.
It´s always a good idea to dive to 40-50m from time to time if you expect a target nearby, because the detection range of an U-Boat's sonar is larger than it's line of sight.
- search for areas where ships have to pass inevitably to reach a certain area or harbour, your chances for intercepts will rise significantly, but be careful those "junction points" are also well observed by your enemy.

Patience is a virtue!

Cheers,
Michael
gandalf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:28 PM   #102
gerwim
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf71 View Post
Welcome aboard Gerwim!

Your experience is not so uncommon, that's like what the submarine war was in real life: boringly zigzagging around and watching holes into the sky for days and weeks without seeing any enemy ships. Have you ever watched "Das Boot"? That is what it was like.

OK now some hints:
- from my experience any TC value above 128x causes the simulation to behave strange, beside of that you won't be able to react if you run into an enemy.
- the red rectangles appearing somewhere near or far on the map, are radio contacts (contacts which have been intercepted by your radio operator or contacts radioed in by your supreme command). If you set course for those rectangles the ships will be gone long before you reach that point. Click on that rectangles and you get some further information about speed and bearing of that contact, if available. Go to the map and draw a line in the approximate direction of the contacts bearing. Draw a circle of the contacts travel distance in one hour and mark that distances along the line (e.g. a contact reported with 10kn will travel with a speed of 18,5 km/h). If you can reach a point on that line in about 5 hours with the contact presumed near that point, you'll have a good chance to intercept the target.
It´s always a good idea to dive to 40-50m from time to time if you expect a target nearby, because the detection range of an U-Boat's sonar is larger than it's line of sight.
- search for areas where ships have to pass inevitably to reach a certain area or harbour, your chances for intercepts will rise significantly, but be careful those "junction points" are also well observed by your enemy.

Patience is a virtue!

Cheers,
Michael
Hi Michael,

Thanks! I went to one of their docks and shot the **** out of some ships! . Got only 1 warship on my tail which I sunk aswell. Problem with the game are the crashes, and indeed some kind of TC bug which makes my boat sink.. (it's going through the walls and on land.. grr).

To other newcomers: watch this movie, it helped me alot!

Cheers,
Gerwim
gerwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:29 PM   #103
Superbrad
Bilge Rat

How do I recycle air or charge batteries?
Superbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:51 PM   #104
Viper114
Seaman

Maybe I'm just stupid, but there doesn't seem to be any indication on how to do this. How do I change the deck gun ammo from AP to HE? The control list doesn't state how, and no site seems to say it either...
Old 03-07-10, 08:56 PM   #105
Parkera
Gunner

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper114 View Post
Maybe I'm just stupid, but there doesn't seem to be any indication on how to do this. How do I change the deck gun ammo from AP to HE? The control list doesn't state how, and no site seems to say it either...

Click on the shell you want!
Parkera is offline   Reply With Quote