SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-12, 03:36 PM   #46
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Back when SH3 was under development we said exactly the same thing. We just wanted Aces Of The Deep with modern graphics.
Heh, yeah. Very true. I remember telling my little boy when SH3 was about to come out, "Okay, we will buy it, but no way it'll be better than Aces of the Deep."

I've never been happier to be proven wrong in my life.

EDIT: Oh, and what P_Funk said. He nailed it perfectly for me as well.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com

Last edited by Iron Budokan; 07-06-12 at 03:49 PM.
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 02:39 PM   #47
cfc3612
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Default question

when does the beta come out any one knows
cfc3612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 10:51 PM   #48
Munster
Swabbie

Downloads: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Looks like the model is free to play, flash based. How realistic will it be? How will the game manage time compression, transit to base, 3D crew, role-playing options, game saves, upgrades for pay, and many other elements?

Stay tuned.
One thing is for sure; as the trailer reveals: the german sychronisation is as bad as in SH5 and since it looks like the whole gameplay is based upon SH5 I don't expect very much.
Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 02:13 PM   #49
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Welcome to Silent Hunter online!

Mission lvls 1-5

Quest: Hans the fishermen has asked you to bring back 200 shark skins: You must use your deck gun to kiil 200 sharks and turn in their skins to Hans.

Tip 1: Sharks will not always drop their skins
Tip 2: just keep grinding

Mission lvls 5-10

Quest: Hans the fishermen has ask you to kill 200 seagulls: You must shoot down 200 seagulls with your Flak guns and turn in the skins to Hans

Tip 1: Seagulls do not always drop their skins
Tip 2: Just keep grinding

Welcome to MMO's

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-12, 10:07 AM   #50
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

But so true (hopefully not in this case)
Old 07-19-12, 10:12 AM   #51
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Welcome to Silent Hunter online!

Mission lvls 1-5

Quest: Hans the fishermen has asked you to bring back 200 shark skins: You must use your deck gun to kiil 200 sharks and turn in their skins to Hans.

Tip 1: Sharks will not always drop their skins
Tip 2: just keep grinding

Mission lvls 5-10

Quest: Hans the fishermen has ask you to kill 200 seagulls: You must shoot down 200 seagulls with your Flak guns and turn in the skins to Hans

Tip 1: Seagulls do not always drop their skins
Tip 2: Just keep grinding

Welcome to MMO's

Seriously?

It's not like that.
Old 07-19-12, 10:20 AM   #52
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOtto View Post
Yea I have to agree that any good game is a time sink too but not in the way this grinding games are... I mean, you can play a career in SHIV but it's not like you will spend your time just to get a better weapon, or other piece of equipment... Sims are good to play with what you have, and I love doing some patrols on S-boats or Type-II from time to time.

The issue I raised is because for all I have known, these F2P games are really a money sink in that if you want to be competitive on them you have to spend a lot of money (or what to me, with three kids and in these times of crisis, is a lot of money for a game... like, 20 or 30 euros a month). And if you want to be in the top players, even more.

Of course they'll say that most of the stuff can be grinded for, yea if you have unlimited supplies of time, and no life at all. So they tickle your weaknesses and you end up paying, paying and paying some more.

About WoT, I mostly agree with what RAM says, it is a fun and exciting game with awesome flaws. Was fun for me until I got quite good at it, and joined a clan, and then is when the fun went away... you try to be good, you have to grind grind grind and pay pay pay. I quit the game because of that, it felt like a crack addiction. Maybe its just my personality! But when I took a look at my paypal logs, I saw I had spent in a year more than 300eur in that game!!! I was so shocked you wouldnt believe it. That's not my idea of what you should pay for a game, but hey, microtransactions are like that, you don't feel the 10eur now, 10eur next week, oh I don't want to spend another week grinding just to get the new tracks for this tank, without the tracks I can't use the gun I already unlocked... without the gun I am not effective at all at this level... oh ok I can afford 10 more euros, can't I? Oh, cool now I have the new gun! But next week it will be the same... and the next after. And when you get to level 10 and have the greatest tanks, oh well they introduce a new system which "freezes" your tanks when you are destroyed in battle... so you have to wait another week before you can help your clanmates. Oh, but there is a solution, yea, start the grind all over again with another nation... Hateful.

So imagine my thoughts, when I come back to sub sims, my ever beloved games, only to find that Ubi's next move is not a sequel (should we call it fix?) for SHV, oh no, it's a new F2P online game. That felt so bad, after my WoT experience, that I can't explain. Of course it's just the way I feel, they are a company, want to make money, and you run a website and have to try your best to manage this old farts community. But I know I won't be touching that thing with a 10 foot pole. I still hope we can get something else running as I have been saying around. And I understand I shouldnt be ranting and spilling my anger and pain in this part of the forum, which should be to praise the new online sensation...

But now I let it all out, won't happen again, I'll stay in the old farts section from now on!
Hey, Otto, I think your statement is a fair analysis of F2P games, and incremental costs. I really like it when someone makes a point in a reasonable fashion, pointing things out like you have done.

Yes, they are a company and all companies strive to make money, people need to eat. I think what you said is fair; I also have to say, if someone enjoys the game, they make the decision how much to spend on it. 300 Euros is too much for me, no doubt. Depending on how much I play and if I can get into it, I could see spending as much or more than a boxed game. But I would shy away from continuing to pay unless this was a new game sensation I could not live without. Even then, it's all up to me to turn loose any $$$.
Old 07-20-12, 07:39 AM   #53
Gezoes
XO

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOtto View Post
Thanks for caring... :P

As I said above, I've been clean for a couple of months. But I tell you, among the people who were top-ish in that game, I wasn't one of the big spenders at all. Their target is guys on their 30s, with some good job of work, who spend between 500-1200 eur a year on the game. You can buy the so-called "gold ammo" which gives you a totally unfair advantage since it's able to penetrate most tanks' armor even if your vehicle is inferior.

My problem there was that I'm a stat whore (can I say this uncle Steve? pretty please?) and the only way to improve your stats is play well and PAY.

And now, you've made me post again in this thread where I promised uncle Neal I wouldn't post again!
Sorry 'bout that. Don't worry, I called Neal 'Neil' recently, which undoubtedly delayed his review. So I will be keelhauled a wee bit sooner than you

I guess I'm an oldfashioned guy with a rabid sense of people trying to get me to buy things. I spent about 31 euro's on a Type and 10 euro's for some gold change. Games used to cost about 40 euro's, today 60 at least, so that would be the absolute limit. I've played WoT since the closed beta.

My stats are good, and I have a garage ranging from 2 - tier 9. The one thing compensates the other. I never use gold ammo. Also, I have a few vehicles where I win about 65% of my games. I have won 54% overall, which doesn't make me among the best, far from it. But maintaining 54% in random games, with some medals that will raise an eyebrow or two, is pretty good.

I often get invites, but I always decline. I hate clans. Always something. Given, a new tank takes a lot longer with me, but in the meantime I gather free XP which goes towards the best gun on purchase of the tank.

You don't need gold at all. But you're right, above the 60% overall people tend to throw one bucket after the other into the game, and expect others to do the same. Sorry to hear you got dragged into that, but hey, you came out of it
Old 08-09-12, 10:31 PM   #54
SurfnSea
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 10

I look forward to trying this. If it was hardcore sim I'm fine with that. If it is leaning more toward arcade I'm ok with that too. I just love sub sims and I like the idea of the online play as mentioned by Neal in his article. Good luck to the team developing this I wish you success.
SurfnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 07:33 PM   #55
TwoGamers
Officer

Downloads: 9
This is going to have micro payments and its most likely going to let you buy power waht i would have rather seen was a game were you can play as a submarine or as a british unit like a destroyer or plane.
TwoGamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 07:52 AM   #56
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGamers View Post
This is going to have micro payments...
Of course. It is what Ubi$oft wants.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 06:41 PM   #57
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

I'm surprised to see so many people here supporting this product. Seeing how Ubisoft mangled SH5, it's baffling to me that there are some consumers who are prepared to simply forgive Ubisoft for singlehandedly killing off a beloved sim franchise, only to turn it into what seems to be nothing more than a simplistic Facebook-like game.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 08:18 PM   #58
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I can only speak for myself, but I never said I forgave Ubisoft for anything. I can't really see where it's my role to forgive them for a product, no one put a gun to my head to buy it. I reviewed it and gave it the lowest score of all Silent Hunter games (and just about every A title game since Fast Attack). I certainly expressed my dissatisfaction with how they handled the run up to the game, how they were closed off to input, closed off to the community, and basically held back review copies of the game until 2 weeks after it was released. Just as with movie reviews, when a company does that, it signals problems. And SH5 had loads of problems. It had great potential but Ubisoft declined to support it. But am I going to close myself off to new possibilities? Heck no. This is a new game, new dev team, and new direction. I try not to pre-judge too much, I have been wrong in the past. If SHO stinks, it won't cost me anything, I won't be playing it, and I won't waste any energy posting about it.
Old 08-13-12, 12:29 AM   #59
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

whens the beta test coming out????

as for if it sucks i hope that with all the people here someone will be able to do the beta test and alert us to if it stinks or is good
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:43 AM   #60
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

Gamescon 2012 starts tomorrow and SHO will be there, so I should think new information will surface over the next few days. It will be interesting to see what impact they make with the gaming press, there seems to be an impressive line up of titles this year.
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote