SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-20, 02:21 PM   #1
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Looking @ Picking this up. A question or two.

So I'd been watching streams and such of the game and the management/crew aspect looks intriguing. But I was a bit concerned and wanted to get a solid answer on a few things.

1. Is the management overbearing? As in does it consume most of the gameplay and tend to get in the way? Or is it say a nice improvement on SH3 style management?

2. How is the realism? One thing I saw in discussion was things like having anywhere around 5 minutes to escape during depth charges due to disturbances in the water affecting sound. But one thing that bothered me greatly was every video I watched seemed to show ships had a health bar? As opposed to something where it was like modded SH3 that you could flood compartments and Target specific ones.

3. One thing I haven't got to see much of was gameplay regarding enemy ships. How is their AI? Solid? Terribad? Or extremely punishing.

4. It seemed like you could automate many parts of the game by telling crew to do it. For example in SH3 I used WO assistance to get my target distance and IDs (really just sped the process up honestly) but did all else manually (except navigation I kept map icons on and stuff.). So I guess my question is , is there a nice variable option suite of how real or how arcadey you can adjust the game to be?

5. Also how performance intensive is it? Currently on a I7-7700k not OCd with ASUS ROG Stric 580 8GB and 32GB of Gskillz 3000MHz RAM.

I just got a new pc and feeling an itch to start up sinking tonnage again. And am between SH3 with mods (gotta get the 1920x1080 mod working right)/SH5 and Wolves of Steel or picking up Uboat.
Old 01-10-20, 05:33 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

In my opinion, it is the Sims for uboats. If you want realism, play SH series. It’s a good game to mess around and have fun. Not for serious campaigns and such.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 08:47 AM   #3
CaptainC
Watch

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

I think it’s an early access title with huge potential, the realism is there, it’s just a WIP.
If you read the Dev logs and updates you will see how much detail they put into the core of the sim. Will just take time to get all the bells and whistle to show that detail, but the foundation is amazing imo
CaptainC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 02:48 AM   #4
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainC View Post
I think it’s an early access title with huge potential, the realism is there, it’s just a WIP.
If you read the Dev logs and updates you will see how much detail they put into the core of the sim. Will just take time to get all the bells and whistle to show that detail, but the foundation is amazing imo
The new patch is out and appearently they still refuse to lower the crews' food consumption which means that you still have to salvage sunk ships if you don't want your crew to starve. They really wanna coerce players into using this silly feature.
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 11:33 AM   #5
CaptainC
Watch

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
The new patch is out and appearently they still refuse to lower the crews' food consumption which means that you still have to salvage sunk ships if you don't want your crew to starve. They really wanna coerce players into using this silly feature.
Never come close to running out of food, how long are you patrolling?
Also check steam workshop, plenty of mods in there for adjusting the various balance issues that exist right now.
CaptainC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 06:48 PM   #6
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1
Default Try it?

Hello reignofdeath,

Did you end up buying this game and try it? Had a little play early on and it was unstable in early access. Would love to know your experience going forward.

Kind Regards,
Akbargulag

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote