SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-20, 11:47 AM   #31
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

I'm going to load my game, check the F1 file and then make notes, come back and try again. Thanks for your assistance, John.
Old 01-21-20, 11:52 AM   #32
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-61 View Post
Had a look, twice, in the menu folder at the two files. No mention there of supply ships or tankers.
Do you recall seeing them listed with the F1 key in game ? Oops, you posted before I did. Anytime ! Let me know how it goes.
Old 01-21-20, 05:35 PM   #33
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
One other weird thing I notice is encountering the same mini-convoys or clusters of the same units. I sank a pair of ships, a liner behind another type ship which I forget. Then a day or two later in the same general area I encounter the same pair. I know that ships and convoys to an extent are scripted into the game's layers, but this was rather bizarre. There is enough variety in the mod, but it does seem funny to see identical compositions more than once.
Please let me comment this paragraph, it sticks painfully into my eyes.

This is not weird. It is how the game works.
Yes, you can have a different collection per every Convoy if you want. As long as you have enough different ships. This can be scripted into the Campain-files without problems. But think about it. This Game do you not like to play, since it will dramatically increase the Load-time. i think about half an hour or more to Load the game for an today actual PC. Nobody like long Load-times. From time to time we all can see here on Subsim post that people blame the game hangs, not aware that the game is still loading.
This gets more worse by increasing the number of ships additional injected into the game. For short: more ships - longer Load-time. So what we get then by doing both, increasing Ships and increasing Lines in Campain-file is something like longer longer, or better, ultra-long Load-time.

Please keep in mind, when the SH3-game was released. At that time no PC was able to display smoothly a comlete round view in harbor populated with some ships without stuttering. Keep in mind, that the game is computing every single Unit-position continusly around the whole game-world. I am shure, by an heavy excessive increasing of the Ships and Campain-files the result will be an unplayable game.

Every Developer-team from what is called Big-Mods, not only LSH, has made a unbelievable good job done extending this game.

Greetings.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 08:13 PM   #34
K-61
Grey Wolf

No worries. I'm not griping, just making an observation. I am well aware of how much better the modded version is over the original release version and I am tremendously grateful for the hard work of modders, generously shared with others.

I'm playing on a new system with the game installed on my SSD. It makes for much faster loading times. I typically load the game in under three minutes, even with a huge mod like LSH2015. My graphics card is 6 GB; even when things are going boom, whiz, bang I get frame rates that are well over 100-200 fps.
Old 01-21-20, 08:17 PM   #35
K-61
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Do you recall seeing them listed with the F1 key in game ? Oops, you posted before I did. Anytime ! Let me know how it goes.
I am now in the spring of 1944, ashore in Lorient. At this stage of the war the Allies have either destroyed at sea most of resupply subs and ships or convinced the neutrals to kick them out. I saw one active U-supply at sea but he was too far away to make the trip worth it. On my way to my grid I had a running battle with a convoy and expended almost all torpedoes. On the way back to port I fired off my penultimate eel and brought one home.

So, I shall do that editing at some future date when I am going through the war once again in the early days. I intend for now to see this out to 1945, either through survival or cycling through multiple careers via SH3 Commander, as I detail elsewhere.
Old 01-21-20, 08:21 PM   #36
K-61
Grey Wolf

I foolishly tried to stand off a B-24 in my most recent patrol. It cost me my experienced watch officer and four trained flak gunners, as well as some non-repairable-at-sea damage to my tower. Won't do that again, especially as Onkel Karl chewed my butt for losing good men like that. He said he was thinking of sending me to the Russian front, but that since a U-boat command is more hazardous, he is sending me back to sea.
Old 01-23-20, 06:18 PM   #37
K-61
Grey Wolf

I got killed in my previous career when a PBY that was shot down by our flak crashed right into our boat in its death dive. Real bummer, that one.

I've also noticed a lot of Allied planes are crashing when attacking me. They get caught in the bomb blasts, collide with each other or maneuver too close to the sea and crash into it. I once had a whole section of four Mosquitos wipe themselves out. Once in a while I see larger planes, like a Halifax or Sunderland collide with another and both go down.
Old 01-23-20, 06:43 PM   #38
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I got killed in my previous career when a PBY that was shot down by our flak crashed right into our boat in its death dive. Real bummer, that one.

I've also noticed a lot of Allied planes are crashing when attacking me. They get caught in the bomb blasts, collide with each other or maneuver too close to the sea and crash into it. I once had a whole section of four Mosquitos wipe themselves out. Once in a while I see larger planes, like a Halifax or Sunderland collide with another and both go down.

Wow, some real messed up AI routines sounds like.
Old 01-23-20, 09:49 PM   #39
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Airplanes use a "ship" controller to fly with... - Seriously, look at their dat and sim files. That said, if they are set to "Elite", they fly much better. Of course, there are other side effects to doing that

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 10:52 AM   #40
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

gear constation identique

yes indeed I noticed the same disorder with the planes !!!
Is LsH2020 still up to date?
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 11:30 AM   #41
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Airplanes use a "ship" controller to fly with... - Seriously, look at their dat and sim files. That said, if they are set to "Elite", they fly much better. Of course, there are other side effects to doing that
Wow. That's "interesting" to say the least.
Old 01-25-20, 03:19 PM   #42
propbeanie

One must remember, this is a subsim, and airplanes were an after-thought...

Old 01-25-20, 03:26 PM   #43
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
One must remember, this is a subsim, and airplanes were an after-thought...
That's discouraging, seeing as aircraft should be a vital part of anything that calls itself a sub sim.
Old 01-25-20, 04:11 PM   #44
propbeanie

Oh, the controller for the AI_Ship is fine. There is really nothing restricting it from flying an airplane. I'm just making fun of the fact that a controller named for controlling an AI ship is flying airplanes also... But ships have "Height", such as "zero" for the surface, or -35 for a submarine 35 meters below the surface, or +35 for an airplane 35 meters above the surface, about to crash into your submarine ... The controller also has Headings for things like "zero" at True North, 90 for a ninety degree heading, etc. All of what controls a ship has applications in controlling airplanes. Even the waypoint system is similar. The thing with airplanes, they have "stall" speed and will fall from the sky if care isn't taken by the dev or modder who places planes on the map and configures them. You also cannot "turn" an airplane in too tight of a spot, else it will fall from the sky. They also tend to crash into each other if grouped too closely together, or turned too tightly.

Old 01-25-20, 06:39 PM   #45
K-61
Grey Wolf

I'm just about ready to give up playing. I believe the amount of aircraft, both in the numbers of patrols and the amount of planes sent out is ahistorical. All you need to play this game now is one of those glass birds with the red dye in it that dips back and forth. Set it over your keyboard so the beak hits the C button; because you will have do that hundreds of times in one patrol. I am not kidding. I spent six hours of real life time the other day going from the North Atlantic into the North Sea. I know the U-boats had a tough time after 1943, but this is simply unplayable. Stay down for 15 minutes or 15 hours; within a few minutes of surfacing you will have a gaggle of Sunderlands or B-24's lining up to gangbang you.