SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-17, 04:50 AM   #1
Hegemony Cricket
Watch

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0
Default Can't find enemy...

Ok guys, I'll just swallow my pride and say it. I have had a number of battles where I cruise around forever, but cannot find anything to shoot at. No contacts on the map, no sound sigs to match, nothing on any of the masts, just empty ocean. I am mindful of checking both sides of the layer, if one exists, and keeping my speed/noise as low as possible. In a combination of desperation and bordom, I have also tried sending out a MOSS to see if anything will shoot at it and even sending active torpedoes in several directions to see if they will lock on to anything. Still, nothing. I have a pretty good understanding of the instruments and weapons, but obviously I'm missing a trick here. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Hegemony Cricket; 08-25-17 at 04:59 AM.
Hegemony Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 07:35 AM   #2
Delgard
Skipper

Stay slow. Cruise back and forth in 2-3 minute legs so your sonar can see better.

When you first start a mission the report will tell you that your sonar heard something at a certain bearing. Generally head that way as stated above.

Check under the layer and above the layer.

Good luck.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 08:03 AM   #3
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Don't forget to check your ambient noise. Under some conditions it will be nearly impossible to establish and maintain a sonar contact.
Old 08-25-17, 10:11 AM   #4
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Take a note of the contact bearing in the pre-battle screen. Heading towards that heading and check above and below the layer.

If you're expecting diesel subs (Spetsnaz insertion). Start at 15K or less.

If all else fails, Torpedo recon sometimes works. Fire a torp down the bearing, set to activate 3-4K from your sub and run your sub at 90 degree and see if it gets them spooked.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 11:28 AM   #5
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Silent running helps too. If you don't see any contacts try active sonar. Try to close to 10,000 yards unless it's a large battle group of surface ships. Watch some video play go get some hints. Good hunting!!

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 05:46 PM   #6
Delgard
Skipper

I was wondering if you were doing the North Atlantic 2004 MOD campaign. I found a large lack of activity on that. I was hoping to sneak into harbors or just go off to see what is happening with the Netherlands navy, etc.

Anyway, try the single missions for some practice. When you get the mission screen you can choose how far "out" you start. The default is 25k yards which is a long distance. I lowered it as I got settled with the interface.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-17, 12:58 PM   #7
1nv4d3rz1m
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 4

If the conditions are much above 90 db you wont be able to hear quiet subs until they are very close, in those situations you might have to carefully use active sonar or you can try unchecking "Hide low SOL contacts in 3d" in the options menu which forces the game to render even contacts you do see on your sensors.
1nv4d3rz1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 06:34 PM   #8
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

All of my suggestions are already posted. But generally I'll do the following every engagement:

1-When you come into contact you'll get a bearing to target. Always note this down. At least then you'll have an idea which way to head.
2-Check the conditions tab. I struggled to maintain contact with a surface group at 110db which led to a lot of depth changing to fire at contacts. Jiveturkey also had this issue during last weeks streams, had a group of Victors he could physically see on his screen but not see on sonar due to conditions being too noisy.
3-Check above and below the layer if there is one.
4-If all else fails bang away on active sonar (Shift-A unless you rebound it to something else) and see if that gets your target to fire at you. At least then you'll have an idea where to head.

Good hunting.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 07:12 PM   #9
Delgard
Skipper

I go active...I ask for an active ping. One ping only.
Old 08-29-17, 02:24 AM   #10
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

I often use Torpedos to actively search targets. Keep the wire and use a smart search pattern. It is pretty satisfying to pick them up like that in a 115 db environment.
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote