SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-11, 09:57 PM   #16
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

If ASUS backs the bigger CPU I'd go with it. You can't go wrong and it will safely will OC to 4gb's after warrenty runs out.

And by then you'll be an ole pro.

Don't worry about building your own rig. By your posts over time I've always been impressed with your common sense as well as humor.

Spend $2.00 on a ground strap. Buy it locally and they'll show as well as explain it's worth for a newbe builder.

As far as cases go there's so much variety, price and.......

I think your onto a fun adventure that should make you proud when your done.

DOWNSIDE : Your family and friends will bug you to help them upgrade.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 10:16 PM   #17
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
If ASUS backs the bigger CPU I'd go with it. You can't go wrong and it will safely will OC to 4gb's after warrenty runs out.

And by then you'll be an ole pro.

Don't worry about building your own rig. By your posts over time I've always been impressed with your common sense as well as humor.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. There's not much inside a desktop PC that I haven't tinkered with, taken out, put back in, replaced or upgraded, aside from the mobo and CPU. It's always been my policy not to be afraid of the machine, because... the machine will know.

In fact it's become a habit when I get a new rig, to set it all up and turn it on and then disassemble the old one right in front of it. SO IT KNOWS what happens when I am no longer happy with something.

Quote:
Spend $2.00 on a ground strap. Buy it locally and they'll show as well as explain it's worth for a newbe builder.
This sort of thingy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

Quote:
As far as cases go there's so much variety, price and.......
Tell me about it, I think with that I'm gonna have to go to Microcenter and look at them in person. And take my measuring tape. It's just too hard to get a feel for anything like that from just a picture and list of specs.

Quote:
DOWNSIDE : Your family and friends will bug you to help them upgrade.
Oh, we're already there. Almost everyone I know in "real life" is a bigger n00b than I ever was. I have one friend who used to work as the IT help person at some company, but generally I'm the person who gets the phone calls.

Person who will remain nameless: "Uh, hi, howya doin'? Listen, I let my nephew put XP on my computer and I'm trying to run Windows Update and it's telling me that I may have an illegal copy of Windows and wants me to pay $XXX for a license. What should I do?"

Me: "I've met your nephew. Buy the license."
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 11:20 PM   #18
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

$99.99 on sale amazon 64 home pro sale TD bit and no relatives.

And it's yours. I think your a good peeps and I only want to help tech wise as health will help.

But I take care of my owne Nothing more, Noting less. My new or olds friends are all are in inportantant at this stage.

Not big smart postst at future as my friends comming in neer future.

You can do it. ... No more posts. You will succeed. Goodbye

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 12:39 AM   #19
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Oh honey. Sounds like I'm not the only one who needs to call it a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
I think your a good peeps
Good peeps:

Bad peeps:

Now here's a really dumb question. In this picture, which connector is the one the PSU would plug into?

It's the 24-pin ATX Power Connector, right? Or is it the 4-pin ATX Power Connector? Because I'm looking at PSUs (when I should be in bed, argh, I blame... well, me, actually, but anyway) and it says MB Power Connector, 24 pins, so... that's the first one, the one there on the side, right? But that looks like it would be a long way from where the PSU is mounted.
Old 05-27-11, 01:24 AM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Don't know about the open box thing though, I always worry about that when buying online.
I suppose that's a legitimate worry, but my current graphics card was purchased as an Open-Box from NewEgg, and I've had no complaints at all. On the other hand I don't know anything, so maybe I was just lucky.
Old 05-27-11, 03:26 AM   #21
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

so one 5770 wasn't enough?

Don't worry about the build - since you've aimed for an Asus board, you'll be pleased with the great manual. An excellent step-by-step guide!

And of course you have us!

And forget the silly ground strap... just touch the case, use common sense and don't touch connectors or components.

The 955 and 965 are the same CPU. AMD overclocked the 955 for you for the extra $20 and named it 965... your choice.
If choosing 955, make sure it's a rev. c3 but I would probably go for 965 too.

750W PSU is way - way! - more than adequate! What do you have now? If more than 450W, I would keep that for a while...
Don't know if you've already settled for one, but I can highly recommend Fractal Design. Cheap and very, very good.

But how did the 5770 perform for you?

/edit: btw. your board will need both power connectors to be connected. 4-pin ATX and 24-pin ATX.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 07:56 AM   #22
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
750W PSU is way - way! - more than adequate!
Said he, who just found this landed on the carpet!

Old 05-27-11, 08:28 AM   #23
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I suppose that's a legitimate worry, but my current graphics card was purchased as an Open-Box from NewEgg, and I've had no complaints at all. On the other hand I don't know anything, so maybe I was just lucky.
It would probably be fine, they just won't guarantee the presence of any of the "accessories" that you'd get with a new item. Anyway I got it new for only about $10 more (after rebate) from somewhere else.

Quote:
so one 5770 wasn't enough?
It probably is, but with the new mobo at least I'll have the option of a second card. Who knows, by the time I get around to it, the price on the 5870 may have dropped.

Quote:
But how did the 5770 perform for you?
Loading SH3+GWX3+10 gazillion mods with new card...

Still loading...

Still loading...

Aaaaaand still loading...

Almost there...

Okay, Wilhelmshaven, here I come...

Looks around harbor...

Quote:
Don't worry about the build - since you've aimed for an Asus board, you'll be pleased with the great manual. An excellent step-by-step guide!

And of course you have us!

Right now I'm looking at the first week of September to get it up and running, since I'll have a week off work then and plenty of time to tinker/re-tinker/throw things/learn exciting new curse words/tear my hair out.

Plus that will give me time to consider, compare and acquire whatever else I'm gonna need. If I get there sooner, fine, but that's what I'm shooting for.

Quote:
And forget the silly ground strap... just touch the case, use common sense and don't touch connectors or components.
That's what I've always done, and I've never been shocked or fried a component.

Quote:
The 955 and 965 are the same CPU. AMD overclocked the 955 for you for the extra $20 and named it 965... your choice.
If choosing 955, make sure it's a rev. c3 but I would probably go for 965 too.
Newegg has the 965 for the same price as the 955 with a promo code through 5/31.

Quote:
750W PSU is way - way! - more than adequate! What do you have now? If more than 450W, I would keep that for a while...
Don't know if you've already settled for one, but I can highly recommend Fractal Design. Cheap and very, very good.
500W, it's the one that came with the rig when I bought it. Have never looked up anything else about it so I don't know whether it's from a "quality" manufacturer or not. Given that it was included in a pre-built system, I'm guessing not.

Much will depend on what else ends up going into the new build, so the PSU will most likely be the last thing I look at, unless I come across some incredible deal on a really nice one that looks like a good longterm investment.

Quote:
/edit: btw. your board will need both power connectors to be connected. 4-pin ATX and 24-pin ATX.

Maybe I should look for a Building PCs For Dummies book.
Old 05-27-11, 09:42 AM   #24
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Said he, who just found this landed on the carpet!
To be filed under "Do as I say, not as I do."

TBH I will probably upgrade the PSU at some point, if I want to add a 2nd gfx card it will be a necessity (IIRC the specs for 5770 x 2 recommend 600W minimum).

In addition I'm thinking I would still like to have a working computer with what's left over from the current one, and possibly "donate" it to myself at my office. Which means I'd need to keep that PSU in there... I would also have the case, the mobo, the CPU, and the Radeon 4650 that came with it that is now, sadly, homeless.

Plus I've still got the copy of XP that came with it which can be reinstalled, still using XP at work so no loss there. I would just need a smallish HDD to install it on. And when I say smallish... the HDD on my current work computer? < 40 GB and not even half full. I also still have a couple of CD/DVD drives from a previous home computer. They will be older and slower than I'm used to at home but no doubt still better than what's in my current office PC, which is actually one I stole off the desk of a former employee when my own (even older) machine died.
Old 05-27-11, 10:23 AM   #25
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Don't know if you've already settled for one, but I can highly recommend Fractal Design.
Are they sold under a different name in North America? The web site only lists two retailers over here, and neither one seems to have their PSUs. Cases yes, PSUs no.
Old 05-27-11, 11:13 AM   #26
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Don't worry about the PSU. Your 500W will easily drive new MB, 965 and a 5770/5870, so save the money 'till later

When you add another card and/or go overclocking, then you do the upgrade. Go for min. 750W.

Btw. the 1000W Fractal Design was sold at $150 - couldn't resist.
I have a ThermalTake 850W now, which is way enough to drive a Core i7-930, one 5970 and one 5870, but once the water cooling project is complete, I plan to go overclocking.
Cable management will take me at least a day to finish and would really, really hate to have to scrap it again just because the 850W runs out of juice under heavy load...

So in advance the $150 is already saved!

Your loading speed for SH3+GWX etc. will not be smaller by increasing GPU power.
Only more CPU power, more RAM and a faster disc will help you there... have you seen the "new" SSD drives?

Old 05-27-11, 11:20 AM   #27
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I have something similar to what you are looking to purchase. Phenom 9850 Black edition. 9800 GT 1 gig. 8 gig DDR 800 and Vista Home Premium 64 bit. 700 watt psu. No issues. The rig takes all comers when it comes to games. Have fun.
Old 05-27-11, 12:16 PM   #28
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Your loading speed for SH3+GWX etc. will not be smaller by increasing GPU power.
Only more CPU power, more RAM and a faster disc will help you there...
Oh, I know, it's just that the long wait is an inextricable part of the process so I figured it had to be included.

Quote:
have you seen the "new" SSD drives?

Oh yes, but they are still quite pricey per gigabyte IIRC. Right now I would probably buy another (or a better) big ol' standard HDD before I would invest the same $$ in, what, a 120 GB SSD? Which would be over half full by the time I got done reinstalling SH3 in several different versions plus mods.
Old 05-27-11, 01:29 PM   #29
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Right now I would probably buy another (or a better) big ol' standard HDD before I would invest the same $$ in, what, a 120 GB SSD? Which would be over half full by the time I got done reinstalling SH3 in several different versions plus mods.
Ha, try 40GB, if even that.

I'm itching to buy one, but it just doesn't make any sense to do so yet.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 01:52 PM   #30
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

I just put ssd in my older laptop. what a difference! loads up real fast now.