SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 05:28 AM   #91
geosub1978
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salamis Base
Posts: 557
Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0
Default

Hello! I am thinking of buying this game. Just one question. Does it include shore bombardment or merchant hunting or it's only fleet interactions?
__________________
geosub1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #92
Raptor1
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stavka
Posts: 8,216
Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
Hello! I am thinking of buying this game. Just one question. Does it include shore bombardment or merchant hunting or it's only fleet interactions?
There's shore bombardment (Though it's played out automatically, except when fighting a battle against land batteries) and merchant raiding in the campaign
__________________
Current Eastern Front status: Probable Victory
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #93
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wakefield, LA
Posts: 284
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
Hello! I am thinking of buying this game. Just one question. Does it include shore bombardment or merchant hunting or it's only fleet interactions?
Just to clarify...

Both shore bombardments and merchant captures are in the campaigns.

Shore bombardments are handled abstractly. They don't do much, if any, real damage to anything important (which is historically accurate), but mostly are for morale/prestige purposes. Move your ships to the target, the bombardment happens, and that's it. You don't fight them out in a 3D battle. In Jutland, shore bombardments score more points for the Germans than for the Entente. In DG, I don't think they do very much for either side.

As for merchants, in DG the whole campaign depends on merchant capturing, because the Japanese Army has to be supplied by sea. Only the Russians can capture merchants, and if they do this well enough, they can greatly slow or even stop the IJA's progress toward Port Arthur.

In Jutland's long campaign, both sides can capture merchants. This is more important for the Germans because if they can stop the cross-Channel shipping in the 1st 1/2 of 1916, they can actually win the war by causing the French to make a separate peace after losing at Verdun.
__________________
-Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #94
alexsmith
Loader
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 81
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
Hello! I am thinking of buying this game. Just one question. Does it include shore bombardment or merchant hunting or it's only fleet interactions?
I would say TOO MUCH merchant hunting At least probably more than you would like Sometimes only "Finish battle automatically" button helps...

Quote:
Both shore bombardments
Aren't you kidding? Could you please tell more about it? I dream I could bobmard an enemy base on Elliot's islands! The most exciting that it's called UNPROTECTED naval base
alexsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #95
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wakefield, LA
Posts: 284
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsmith View Post
Aren't you kidding? Could you please tell more about it? I dream I could bobmard an enemy base on Elliot's islands! The most exciting that it's called UNPROTECTED naval base
I was wrong; there are no shore bombardments in DG 1.5.

The reason why is that in real life, despite numerous attempts, they had no effect, so it wasn't worth it to put them in the game.
__________________
-Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #96
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default Great Game

Hey Bullethead and the crew from Jutland..Great game you have here. Easy to use interface, nice gfx and love the battle editor! Keep up the good work!

Just one quick question...How do you edit the briefing text for your custom built battle? I can't seem to find it anywhere..
__________________
GWX 3.0 ROCKS!
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #97
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default Simulation options

The simulation options..gunnery accuracy, damage control, torpedo damage etc.. do they adjust for YOUR ship or for ALL ships in the battle? Put another way, can I have deadly accurate gunnery while the AI ships are average?
__________________
GWX 3.0 ROCKS!
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #98
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wakefield, LA
Posts: 284
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt Thomsen View Post
Just one quick question...How do you edit the briefing text for your custom built battle? I can't seem to find it anywhere..
In the Jutland\Data2\Scenarios folder, you create a .txt file with the same name as you used when you saved the scenario with the editor. Once this .txt file exists, next time you save the scenario with the editor, it will incorporate this text into the scenario.

This text appears in the upper part of the scenario selection screen when you start a new battle. It'll be under the date, time, and weather info so you'll probably have to use the scroll bar to see it.

I think this is covered in the scenario editor tutorial. If not, I need to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt Thomsen View Post
The simulation options..gunnery accuracy, damage control, torpedo damage etc.. do they adjust for YOUR ship or for ALL ships in the battle? Put another way, can I have deadly accurate gunnery while the AI ships are average?
Nope. The sliders affect all ships.
__________________
-Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #99
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
In the Jutland\Data2\Scenarios folder, you create a .txt file with the same name as you used when you saved the scenario with the editor. Once this .txt file exists, next time you save the scenario with the editor, it will incorporate this text into the scenario.

This text appears in the upper part of the scenario selection screen when you start a new battle. It'll be under the date, time, and weather info so you'll probably have to use the scroll bar to see it.

I think this is covered in the scenario editor tutorial. If not, I need to fix that.



Nope. The sliders affect all ships.

Great, Thank you for the tips. I hope to see more releases from SES
__________________
GWX 3.0 ROCKS!
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #100
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default division maneuvering

I'm having a problem with getting my division to turn in succession. The instruction are clear enough, but whenever I select a division and order a turn in succession, the lead ship in formation and thus the group just stay on the heading they were previously given. :-(
__________________
GWX 3.0 ROCKS!
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #101
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wakefield, LA
Posts: 284
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt Thomsen View Post
I'm having a problem with getting my division to turn in succession. The instruction are clear enough, but whenever I select a division and order a turn in succession, the lead ship in formation and thus the group just stay on the heading they were previously given. :-(
When other folks have had this problem, it's been because they're leaving a right-click out of the sequence. It goes like this:

1. Left-click to select a ship in the division (any one will do, doesn't have to be the leader).
2. Right-click to bring up the orders menu.
3. Left-click on the button that looks like an arrow to the right (course change button). When this happens, a yellow line will appear on the water connected to your cursor.
4. Move the cursor to get the yellow arrow pointed in the desired direction.
5. **This is what others have left out** Once you've got the yellow arrow where you want it, right-click. This does 2 things. First, it disconnects the yellow arrow from the cursor, so you can use it to push buttons again. Second, it brings up the menu buttons for the different types of turns.
6. Move the mouse to the button for Turn in Succession and left-click to order the turn in succession (or to one of the other buttons to do that type of turn).

NOTE: There are options steps 4A and 4B as follows, if you want to preprogram a series of turns at waypoints (useful for zig-zagging to dodge bullets and to go around coastlines):

4A. Move the yellow arrow so that not only the arrow is pointing where you want it, but the cursor itself is at the position where you want the 1st waypoint. That is, the ship will make its 1st turn at its present position and will turn again at the waypoint.

4B. Hit W. This creates a waypoint at the cursor's current location and fixes the yellow arrow between the ship and the waypoint. But the yellow arrow can now be stretched and bent beyond the waypoint.

If you want to enter more waypoints, repeat steps 4A and 4B. You can have a total of 8 or 9 waypoints per division or independent ship. Once you've got all your waypoints set, continue with step 5 above. Note that all turns at all waypoints will be of the same type (succession or immediate).
__________________
-Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #102
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default German gunners shooting with their eyes closed

Has anyone else noticed that the german gunners seem to be ridiculously inaccurrate with their gunnery while the Brits land three out four shells consistently?
__________________
GWX 3.0 ROCKS!
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #103
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default blind or sleeping?

I sat here and watched 2 German light cruisers shoot at HMS Yarmouth from a range of 5000 yards for 15 minutes...and they missed 8 out of ten times. Meanwhile, the brit cruiser fired and hit, fired and hit, fired and hit....


Can you say "Unbalanced"?
__________________
GWX 3.0 ROCKS!
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #104
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wakefield, LA
Posts: 284
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt Thomsen View Post
Can you say "Unbalanced"?
How many times did you run this experiment, and for how long? Gunnery in Jutland is highly variable, just as it was in real life. Not only is it subject to many situational modifiers based on weather, lighting conditions, sea state, and ship design, but you have to remember that WW1 gunnery was heavily dependent on human judgment under difficult conditions. Sometimes the people do a good job, sometimes they don't, and often they alternate between these states during the course of a single battle. As a result, you can't watch 1 fight and make a fair assessment of how gunnery works.

In general, the newer German CLs have gun directors and single-caliber main batteries, and the RN CLs usually have neither. This usually gives the German CLs better accuracy at longer ranges, but within about 5km the director advantage goes away. However, even with the director working, if the Germans have to squint into the sun, or have their funnel smoke in their eyes, or are blinded by spray, etc., then they probably won't shoot as well as RN ships that don't have these problems. And then of course they just might not be able to find the range for a while.
__________________
-Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #105
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
How many times did you run this experiment, and for how long? Gunnery in Jutland is highly variable, just as it was in real life. Not only is it subject to many situational modifiers based on weather, lighting conditions, sea state, and ship design, but you have to remember that WW1 gunnery was heavily dependent on human judgment under difficult conditions. Sometimes the people do a good job, sometimes they don't, and often they alternate between these states during the course of a single battle. As a result, you can't watch 1 fight and make a fair assessment of how gunnery works.

In general, the newer German CLs have gun directors and single-caliber main batteries, and the RN CLs usually have neither. This usually gives the German CLs better accuracy at longer ranges, but within about 5km the director advantage goes away. However, even with the director working, if the Germans have to squint into the sun, or have their funnel smoke in their eyes, or are blinded by spray, etc., then they probably won't shoot as well as RN ships that don't have these problems. And then of course they just might not be able to find the range for a while.
My apologies, BH, really. I had not considered that these details were, in fact, modelled in. Looks like I have some learning to do. Thank you for setting me straight. :-)
__________________
GWX 3.0 ROCKS!
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2020 Subsim