SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-17, 01:27 PM   #1
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Insta Death

A subtle problem is rearing its head where during initialization of the 3D simulation, the player is attacked from close range in the first few seconds of play. This is despite accepting the default maximum range for the encounter. It's frustrating to the player when they are forced into a no win position through no action of their own.
To avoid the player immediately selecting to end the scenario in the first few seconds of play when it's obvious the no-win dice are loaded, there are likely many solutions to this of which these are just a few.

I have the following observations:

1) Modders: Please play test the default missions carefully when you substitute the default sub for your favorite modded sub to be sure the play balance intended by the developers is preserved. If possible, please retain the original developer sub and opfor selections in default missions. Instead, use your custom missions to introduce your favorite kit into a similar mission as a what if. Ideally, leave the default mission names alone.

2) I don't know or have not yet observed the code constraints placed on the scenario on initialization, but please consider revisiting this code. It seems reasonable to me that forces should have an imposed minimum distance from each other when the default maximum encounter range is selected during the normal randomization of the initialization. If one exists, perhaps too small.
3) If not already, in addition to the above, impose a minimum time out during which the AI does not launch weapons or go offensive, but leave defensive or preventive logic enabled. To be fair, the player needs time to assess the environment and set up his sub for the circumstances. Likewise, the opposing AI should have the same constraints. If a time constraint already exists, consider increasing it.
4) Consider a mitigation technique whereby within a reasonable time period, the AI are reactive, not proactive where the player actively taking control of the sub is part of the trigger to engage the AI's offensive logic. This would assist in providing the impression to the player the game outcome is not rigged against them and the result is dependent on their decisions and actions rather than punishing the player for the required inactivity in the first minutes of the game needed to understand the immediate combat environment.

Finally:
While it's a good test of player skill to expect them to fully understand the combat environment and make the correct snap judgement within seconds of starting the sim and to make a game challenging there needs to be a certain level of "gaminess", the balance should be preserved that the player has an inherent anticipation they can progress through the scenario in the first minute or two of play.

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 02:38 PM   #2
pccl
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

I disagree. The game is not too challenging as is and a torpedo, even if detected at around 5KYD, can be feasibly evaded. Even if it's not, a single torpedo does not always result in a kill on ownship

Sometimes you're detected before you detect the enemy; sometimes the first indication you have of an enemy's presence is a torpedo in the water down your bearing. This, imo, is a fair part of combat and does not need to be changed.
pccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 03:17 PM   #3
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

My only disagreement is with the timing in the first few seconds of the game.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 04:06 PM   #4
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

What speed were you moving on the strategic map. If you were moving at high speed when you start the mission, Chances is they they found you so you don't get to choose the starting distance (or your choice is overruled). Which also means that they might have a good enough solution to fire on you before you do. In cases where you start an mission at high speed, it's best to go ultra quiet right at mission start and go deeper and change heading before you even ytu yp OD contact.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 08:50 PM   #5
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

First keys I hit when entering a mission is Control-S. Then I just fire at the bearing of the contact given and any other contact shown. I guess when Neutrals show up I will have to be less trigger-happy.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote