SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-17, 11:02 PM   #1
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 3
Default Weird behavior with radar vs sonar

I used ESM to get a rough location on an unknown contact, E3.
Sonar couldn't hear it, so I decided to put the radar up. I immediately got a return, which upgraded the contact to Master 3.

Miraculously, radar also made my sonar start working, because I got narrowband lines on him.

As soon as I lowered the radar mast, I lost sonar contact?

I could be wrong here, but if I can hear him with the radar mast up, why can't I hear him with it down?

Is this a bug with the radar mast operation? Is it giving me a sonar contact when it shouldn't be?
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 02:30 PM   #2
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

This does indeed seem suspicious unless the timing of sonar contact gain/loss was circumstantial. I assume this can be repeated two or more times.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 02:37 PM   #3
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I am not sure of all of the variables, to include a sailor having to step away to blow his nose...

Systems have a specialty, but it takes multiple systems to get the best picture.

As we choose a ship, maybe a set of variables are run to determine capability levels above, say, 80%. Just a base number, but the idea of variables should be expected everywhere.

Hope helps.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 02:21 AM   #4
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

For sonar contacts to be detected they have to be at 10 dB or above, although they can be tracked below that level once detected. I think what happened is you never got the contact above 10 dB so sonar couldn't track it regardless of the other sensors picking it up.

Looks like an oversight rather than an outright bug.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 05:09 AM   #5
pccl
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

I mean... It's counterintuitive and I wish it's changed, but I can buy that.

What is happening would be something close to the following:

"There's a sound there, too faint to tell but it's probably not a ship... Maybe don't tell captain for now..."

**radar detects ship down that bearing**

"OH **** IT'S A SHIP OK YUP UH HUH TRACKING THAT CONTACT YES SIR HERE ARE THE NARROW BAND READINGS AND STUFF WE WERE GETTING SIR WE WERE DEFINITELY NOT SLEEPING ON THE JOB SIR"
pccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 05:14 AM   #6
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158

I'm not an expert at this game. But it seems as though at 1.8 thousand yards you should be discovered and all hell breaking loose. Sometimes with an update the Mods loose their bearings

It it seems like something is corrupt. Do you have an override folder? If you do delete it. Then reinstall one mod at a time. I would put in the Playable Subs Mod first. Then try the game again.

The second good Mod (I know works) is the enhanced navigation Map.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 06:39 AM   #7
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamer View Post
I'm not an expert at this game. But it seems as though at 1.8 thousand yards you should be discovered and all hell breaking loose. Sometimes with an update the Mods loose their bearings

It it seems like something is corrupt. Do you have an override folder? If you do delete it. Then reinstall one mod at a time. I would put in the Playable Subs Mod first. Then try the game again.

Don't forget we don't know what the background noise is. At 110 db or so its quite possible for them not to have him on sonar.
Old 09-03-17, 12:23 PM   #8
-Pv-
The Old Man

"Don't forget we don't know what the background noise is. At 110 db or so its quite possible for them not to have him on sonar."

Good point. High noise level might explain everything.
-Pv-
Old 09-03-17, 02:45 PM   #9
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
I am not sure of all of the variables, to include a sailor having to step away to blow his nose...

Systems have a specialty, but it takes multiple systems to get the best picture.

As we choose a ship, maybe a set of variables are run to determine capability levels above, say, 80%. Just a base number, but the idea of variables should be expected everywhere.

Hope helps.
This doesn't address the problem I pointed out. Multiple systems are used to track, but once a system has the contact, it should have it.
Lowering radar shouldn't make the sonar go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
For sonar contacts to be detected they have to be at 10 dB or above, although they can be tracked below that level once detected. I think what happened is you never got the contact above 10 dB so sonar couldn't track it regardless of the other sensors picking it up.

Looks like an oversight rather than an outright bug.
But sonar was tracking it, as you can see in the first screenshot. I have narrowband lines.
Those go away as soon as the radar goes down. Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamer View Post

I wasn't at 1.8k yards. Check the map scale. They're about 16k yards away.
Nothing is corrupt on my system.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 03:23 PM   #10
-Pv-
The Old Man

"But sonar was tracking it, as you can see in the first screenshot. I have narrowband lines.
Those go away as soon as the radar goes down. Doesn't make sense."

Agreed.

"I wasn't at 1.8k yards. Check the map scale. They're about 16k yards away."

This again makes me wonder if the noise level combined with your radar activity caused you to be detected, the contact then slowed or changed heading reducing your ability to keep the passive sonar track under the conditions and 9 miles away.

Added:
The key would be to make this happen again and raise/lower your radar more than once to see if the sonar contact comes back with it raised.
-Pv-