SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-11, 07:45 PM   #46
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
When you mount the PSU at the bottom, there is an air intake in the bottom. So fan will point downwards.
Okay, so you do mount the PSU upside down, with the intake fan at the bottom. So it draws air in through the bottom vent on the case and pushes air out the back. So if it's radiating enough heat upwards into the case to overheat a GPU, it's... what? Not enough air flow above the case through the rest of the interior? Granted I've only seen one person mention that as an issue, seems like it wouldn't be a preferred configuration if that was a prevalent problem.

Quote:
The good thing about horizontal fans, like the original one, is that they not only cool the cpu, but also the surroundings.
If you replace it with that Corsair, you may find your MB being a lot hotter. Had a friend visiting the other day with that combo - he found he needed to run without side on the case to keep things stable. Problem solved by adding a side fan...
That would be the plan if I went that route, just put a standard fan over the side vent to make up for the one that gets replaced by the Corsair thingy. But I don't know if I want to do that anyway, the cases I'm looking at have plenty of fan slots to create air flow.

Quote:
Go full-scale water!
Too messy. And absolutely no room for any kind of external fixtures.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 08:03 PM   #47
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I won't go into my whole rig but I useing an ULTRA 1600 and 1200.

Bottom case mounted and both tops are cool to the touch.

The exterior of cheap PSU's will get hot.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 08:13 PM   #48
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
I won't go into my whole rig but I useing an ULTRA 1600 and 1200.

Bottom case mounted and both tops are cool to the touch.

The exterior of cheap PSU's will get hot.
Wait are you saying you have two PSUs? In one rig?
Old 05-28-11, 08:16 PM   #49
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Yep

Old 05-30-11, 09:50 AM   #50
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

I think I have finally decided on this case (the Rosewill)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147153

as it's the only one I've found that will fit and has a drive bay configuration that will work for me. Plus I can get it from Amazon and I have a $25 gift certificate coming (and Subsim will get a little something). Although I might get this first instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-TMC...=1081UJTDTV61F

since it will allow me to get rid of the surge processor with all the plugs sticking out that I use to turn on the monitor, speakers, DSL modem, etc. It's up on the shelf above the computer for easy access but is very unsightly no matter how I try to hide most of it with well-placed knickknacks. And it makes external cord/cable management a small nightmare. With those things plugged in somewhere else and still powered on/off with one master switch, I can put that ugly SP under the desk where it belongs and just use it for the computer or even get a small UPS unit for that instead.
Old 05-30-11, 09:58 AM   #51
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Sounds like a good decision, I think

Marie Curie

Gerald is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 05:12 PM   #52
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Default Update!

Got the mobo and CPU today. They're so pretty, and have that new mobo and CPU smell.

Of course I don't know what to do with either of them, and can't really do anything at this point anyway other than open them to make sure they look okay and undamaged. I guess I can start reading the documentation to whet my appetite for things to come.

Edit: another question: currently I have fans on my internal hard drives, more or less like this one:

They just attach to the bottom of the drive, I don't know how much good they do but they were cheap and they are pretty quiet.

The case that I plan on getting has a vented or mesh front, whatever, in front of the HDD cage, with a 120mm case fan in there to blow air in and through the hard drive bays. So I'm wondering if I even need these little individual fans on the drives? I ask because using them cuts the available HDD space by 1/2, since any drive with one attached takes up two spots.

Of course it's possible they won't even fit in the new case, depending on how the cage is made, so it could be a moot point. I seem to remember I had to do some grunt work to get them to fit in the current one.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 06-01-11 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 06:38 PM   #53
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Of course I don't know what to do with either of them, and can't really do anything at this point anyway other than open them to make sure they look okay and undamaged.
Reading the manuals is highly recommended... but why not fire them up?

Quote:
Edit: another question: currently I have fans on my internal hard drives, more or less like this one:

Uurgh - my eyes...

Quote:
So I'm wondering if I even need these little individual fans on the drives?
Nah, find that hard to imagine.
Espacially not with the fan in the front. Harddisks don't usually get very hot.

Good luck!
And don't forget to post some pics!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:57 PM   #54
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
Reading the manuals is highly recommended... but why not fire them up?
Well, I flipped through them at least.

You were right about the ASUS mobo manual, it's very nice. I learned a lot just by looking through it, stuff you usually never find out buying pre-built unless you learn it the hard way.

But I don't know how to fire anything up yet!

Quote:
Uurgh - my eyes...
To be fair, you can only see them if you open the case. I only got them for the extra cooling, not for the lights.

Quote:
Nah, find that hard to imagine.
Espacially not with the fan in the front. Harddisks don't usually get very hot.
Good to know. When I got the current machine I was on a bug about keeping things cool and not relying on so much on what came preinstalled. This case actually does have a fan in front, but I didn't know that until I got it and got in there and started tinkering with things. I think I bought the fans when I decided to pop a second drive in there.

Anyway if they're not necessary, I won't worry about whether or not they'll fit. If they do I might use them, or I can use them on whatever drive(s) end up in the old rig.

Quote:
And don't forget to post some pics!
For that I will have to borrow a camera!
Old 06-01-11, 07:36 PM   #55
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Well, I flipped through them at least.

You were right about the ASUS mobo manual, it's very nice. I learned a lot just by looking through it, stuff you usually never find out buying pre-built unless you learn it the hard way.

But I don't know how to fire anything up yet!

To be fair, you can only see them if you open the case. I only got them for the extra cooling, not for the lights.

Good to know. When I got the current machine I was on a bug about keeping things cool and not relying on so much on what came preinstalled. This case actually does have a fan in front, but I didn't know that until I got it and got in there and started tinkering with things. I think I bought the fans when I decided to pop a second drive in there.

Anyway if they're not necessary, I won't worry about whether or not they'll fit. If they do I might use them, or I can use them on whatever drive(s) end up in the old rig.

For that I will have to borrow a camera!
Use your cell phone,

Marie Curie

Gerald is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 07:43 PM   #56
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:

If the HDD's dont get good air flow they will become very hot. I would leave the hdd fans installed. I have 6 fans running inside the pc, not counting the gfx card fan., sounds like a jet taking off when I start it up so I configure the bios to set some of the fans to quiet mode. Another thing the case is huge and heavy. Enough to add up to 15 hdd drives. IMO good running airflow is very important.

My old pc which I had running well for 7yrs with an upgrade of the graphics/cpu & ram twice during its life was a standard size gaming case with the fancy artwork, nobs and bells but the case was a magnet to dust which then generates more heat, I had to clean this pc twice a year within a couple of months it would be dusty I had fans blowing in & out and it was sealed to its best. This new pc I checked inside the other day for the first time 5 months old now & found not a spec of dust inside clean as a whistle. Put it down to a good PC case which is usually overlooked when buying/building a pc.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 07:49 PM   #57
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
Use your cell phone,
It takes crappy pictures.
Old 06-11-11, 05:05 PM   #58
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Looks like you found the right case. Toss or use on something else the hdd little fans.

Build New, Stay New.

Old 06-11-11, 07:05 PM   #59
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Lol, I almost didn't get it.

I have everything I buy online shipped to my work address since someone is always there during delivery hours. The day it was supposed to be delivered I went looking for it and they said nothing had come for me.

Well it turned out they had ordered a whole new system to replace one that died in another of our offices, and it all came at the same time as my case. So all the "computer" stuff got stacked by the back door for someone to take to the other office. Luckily I passed that way on my way out that door and saw it.

OTOH it would've been funny if they'd taken it over to the other place... I can just imagine someone there on the phone to Dell trying to convince them that they shipped us a case with no computer in it.
Old 06-11-11, 07:42 PM   #60
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Lol, I almost didn't get it.

I have everything I buy online shipped to my work address since someone is always there during delivery hours. The day it was supposed to be delivered I went looking for it and they said nothing had come for me.

Well it turned out they had ordered a whole new system to replace one that died in another of our offices, and it all came at the same time as my case. So all the "computer" stuff got stacked by the back door for someone to take to the other office. Luckily I passed that way on my way out that door and saw it.

OTOH it would've been funny if they'd taken it over to the other place... I can just imagine someone there on the phone to Dell trying to convince them that they shipped us a case with no computer in it.