SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-11, 09:42 PM   #61
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I cannot, the plugs and connectors don't match (very old system). However, this is the new system. I researched the web via the old machine, and found that many Vista and Win7 users run into this problem, usually without finding answers, it seems, just the error description is always the same.

It may have something to do with old code (old software) or hardware somehow messing up the way Windows takes track of the hardware configuration of its host, demanding a new activation when the system sees to many or too intense changes. Its a malfunction certainly, and could lead people into an en dless loop like the kind I saw before. I had to try to interrupt it via keyboard commands for half an hour, in endless attempts, to finally get the W7 disc in the drive starting to boot from CD instead the HD. I then was able to trigger a full new installation (repair led back into the loop).

Possible they messed up the basic installation in the shop (I had a constant minor hardware warning in hardware manager), which now is gone since I installed it all myself.

Let'S see if this holds now.
Old 03-09-11, 08:06 AM   #62
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

More or less, I am through. I stumbled over three major issues that costed me many hours to sort them out, but I got them all solved. I also migrated withiout major losses so far. Printer, Scanner, Wacom Tablet, DigiCamera all get recognised and are operating as they should, CH Fighterstick and Prothrottle gave me plenty of headaches and despair, but are now fully functional. Simped Pedals also work. The old wheel needed replacement, but I knew that in advance. I got myself a Thrustmaster FF430, and am blown away by the quality of it, the massive design and solid quality of it although it did not cost much more than my old Sidewinder back then. If I would have known that earlier, I would have replaced the wheel much earlier.

My office software did not work, I had Works Suite 2005, but it did not run Words, no matter the compatability settings. It is rated by MS as incompatible anyway. I replaced it with Office Home&Student, because I do not like Open Office (I tried it two years ago and it crashed often, also I do not like its security exploits and the the fact that in large parts it is programmed in Java).

Despite being 64 Bit, my rig so far runs all sims I tried: for racing: RSRBR, NASCAR2003 and GTR2, and then of course SBP-PE, F4AF, and the new stuff like RoF, Arma2 and BlackShark anyway. What remains to be seen is FS9, which I will do at the very end only (40+ GB of installed material, I want it all kept close together), Oblivion, chess, and then I have all my classics together. The samller strategy games like WinSPMBT, TOAW3, Danube 85 and CotA seem to run, too, although I did not test them extensively so far.

So additional to the planned sum of money I had to put an additional and unplanned 200 bucks on the table for Office/Word and the wheel, but these are the only unsolvable issues I have had so far. Beside that, it all looks good, I like the new environment very much (Win7 is as great as Vista was bad!), and I think I can rate my migration as a more or less smooth transition. The troubles I had, were not meant to stay, so: all thumbs up!

Oh, and yes: the system is fast as hell. I run all and every sim detail maxed out - with absolute smooth frames.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-09-11 at 08:34 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote