SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-11, 04:16 AM   #541
Plissken_04
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 522
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Thanks Maik, I forgot you had a copy of it as well.

No Problem

So Long

Maik
Plissken_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 01:16 PM   #542
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Hi, Kaleuns, a question:

I want to add the two MFM skins packs in SH3Comm. What is the folder for installation? And the adequate configuration?

Many thanks and regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 10:42 PM   #543
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

I promise I read through the whole thread and did not see anything that would answer my question, so...

I'm setting up everything to start playing again and I want to experiment with the Random folders in Commander, but I don't know how they work!

Specifically, how do you set up the data(sets) in the folders to make the thing you want to be randomized get randomized?

For instance, if I wanted to use several different loading screens and let Commander pick a random one for each session, where/how would I place the various different Intro.tga files that I wanted it to pick from? Is that even possible, or is this feature only meant for randomizing different versions of the same block of data from one particular file?

Thanks for any info and insight!
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 09:57 AM   #544
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I promise I read through the whole thread and did not see anything that would answer my question, so...

I'm setting up everything to start playing again and I want to experiment with the Random folders in Commander, but I don't know how they work!

Specifically, how do you set up the data(sets) in the folders to make the thing you want to be randomized get randomized?

For instance, if I wanted to use several different loading screens and let Commander pick a random one for each session, where/how would I place the various different Intro.tga files that I wanted it to pick from? Is that even possible, or is this feature only meant for randomizing different versions of the same block of data from one particular file?

Thanks for any info and insight!
Lookee here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...oading+screens

Link to said mod:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2822

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 11:36 AM   #545
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Thanks, I knew there was a mod that did that - however I don't actually want to randomize loading screens, I was just using that file as an example. And that particular mod is a big chunk to download/extract for nothing more than a peek at how the data is organized.

What I'm not clear on to start with is whether or not each version of the same file that you want randomized has to go in a different folder in the Random directory (adding more folders, 5, 6, 7, 8 and so on as needed to include each desired version of the file)... or if each numbered subfolder is meant to contain all the differenct versions of the same file, meaning that each numbered subfolder would be the "source" of all randomized data for one particular element of the game, folder 0 for instance providing random loading screens, folder 1 providing randomly chosen versions of the same .wav file, whatever.

I suspect it's the former, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-10-11, 01:24 PM   #546
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Thanks, I knew there was a mod that did that - however I don't actually want to randomize loading screens, I was just using that file as an example. And that particular mod is a big chunk to download/extract for nothing more than a peek at how the data is organized.

What I'm not clear on to start with is whether or not each version of the same file that you want randomized has to go in a different folder in the Random directory (adding more folders, 5, 6, 7, 8 and so on as needed to include each desired version of the file)... or if each numbered subfolder is meant to contain all the differenct versions of the same file, meaning that each numbered subfolder would be the "source" of all randomized data for one particular element of the game, folder 0 for instance providing random loading screens, folder 1 providing randomly chosen versions of the same .wav file, whatever.

I suspect it's the former, but I'm not sure.
I honestly can't remember.....send Jaesen a PM.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 03:40 PM   #547
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
IFor instance, if I wanted to use several different loading screens and let Commander pick a random one for each session, where/how would I place the various different Intro.tga files that I wanted it to pick from? Is that even possible, or is this feature only meant for randomizing different versions of the same block of data from one particular file?
Each file goes into a single folder. You can have one each of many types of files (loading screen, band march, leer, speech files etc) as long as they each follow the correct path.

It's actually fairly simple (says the luddite who doesn't understand anything until it's explained precisely step-by-step. Mayby that's why once I do get it I'm pretty good at explaining it).

SH3Commander/Random/0-1-2-(folder number)/Date/19390101 (since in the Random folders we don't want it to be date-based, the date is always the same) /Data/Menu/Loading.

There you put in the loading screen you want. It must be a TGA file, and it must be named 'Intro' (they always are, but just so you know).

Put a single one into each of the numbered folders. In my mod the mission screens also change. They follow the same path but are labelled 'Map'. You can also vary the 'Museum' and 'Single Missions' loading screens the same way.

I also used it to vary the 25 different dockside band marches:
Random/0/Date/19390101/Data/Sound/Fanfara_01.

Once you look at it it's pretty straightforward
Old 01-10-11, 04:26 PM   #548
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Each file goes into a single folder. You can have one each of many types of files (loading screen, band march, leer, speech files etc) as long as they each follow the correct path.

It's actually fairly simple (says the luddite who doesn't understand anything until it's explained precisely step-by-step. Mayby that's why once I do get it I'm pretty good at explaining it).

SH3Commander/Random/0-1-2-(folder number)/Date/19390101 (since in the Random folders we don't want it to be date-based, the date is always the same) /Data/Menu/Loading.

There you put in the loading screen you want. It must be a TGA file, and it must be named 'Intro' (they always are, but just so you know).

Put a single one into each of the numbered folders. In my mod the mission screens also change. They follow the same path but are labelled 'Map'. You can also vary the 'Museum' and 'Single Missions' loading screens the same way.

I also used it to vary the 25 different dockside band marches:
Random/0/Date/19390101/Data/Sound/Fanfara_01.

Once you look at it it's pretty straightforward
Hi, Sailor! Where can I download sounds for fanfares???

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 01-10-11, 04:27 PM   #549
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Thanks, Steve, as noted above I don't really care about the loading screens, just trying to figure out how to place any data in the folders correctly. Your explanation helps, looks like the basic function works as I thought, i.e., if you have 25 versions of file 'X' that you'd like to see swapped in and out of the game at random, you need 25 numbered folders within the Random folder, one for each version.

From there looks like the data is set up the same way as in any JSGME-ready mod, just create the same directory path to the file as exists in the game folder.

Except I never would've assumed that the Date\[startdate] folders went in between, but that makes sense, if the feature is just a randomized version of what happens with the Date folders Commander already has.

My other question, now that I know for sure this is how it works - say you have 30 loading screens you'd like to randomize, but only 10 dockside marches... would you use 30 numbered folders in the Random directory, and just leave out the .wav files in 20 of them? I guess I'm wondering if the data sets in each folder have to duplicate each other in order for it to work right.
Old 01-10-11, 05:21 PM   #550
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Hi, Sailor!
Hey, that's MY line!

Quote:
Where can I download sounds for fanfares???
There are numerous alternate Fanfara_01.wav files in Steve's mod (25, I think he said) which Jimbuna linked to in his post above.

However it is a very large download if all you want is the additional dockside marches, if that's the case I would suggest checking the Downloads section here (in the Sound Mods section for SH3) to see if there is a smaller file containing various pieces of German military music of the era.

Aside from that there are lots of other sources on the web, try googling soldatenlieder, for instance, and see what comes up. One source I just rediscovered is here:

http://www.soldatenlieder.com/
Old 01-10-11, 06:37 PM   #551
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Hey, that's MY line!

There are numerous alternate Fanfara_01.wav files in Steve's mod (25, I think he said) which Jimbuna linked to in his post above.

However it is a very large download if all you want is the additional dockside marches, if that's the case I would suggest checking the Downloads section here (in the Sound Mods section for SH3) to see if there is a smaller file containing various pieces of German military music of the era.

Aside from that there are lots of other sources on the web, try googling soldatenlieder, for instance, and see what comes up. One source I just rediscovered is here:

http://www.soldatenlieder.com/
Danke, Frau Kaleun!

Fitzcarraldo

Old 01-10-11, 07:11 PM   #552
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

You're welcome!
Old 01-11-11, 12:08 AM   #553
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Hi, Sailor! Where can I download sounds for fanfares???
Hi yourself! There was a fanfare mod out there with about 40 of them. I only used 25 because they were modern recordings that sounded real and in-your-face. The others were old scratchy records, and when the band played them they sounded like old scratchy records.

I'm not sur if that mod is still around, but I'll be glad to put up the 25 I have as a separate file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun
Hey, that's MY line!
Ah, one can only dream.

Quote:
From there looks like the data is set up the same way as in any JSGME-ready mod, just create the same directory path to the file as exists in the game folder.
Just make sure they're in Commander and not SH3.

Quote:
Except I never would've assumed that the Date\[startdate] folders went in between, but that makes sense, if the feature is just a randomized version of what happens with the Date folders Commander already has.
I wouldn't know one way or the other. I just looked in the directory and typed what I saw.

Quote:
My other question, now that I know for sure this is how it works - say you have 30 loading screens you'd like to randomize, but only 10 dockside marches... would you use 30 numbered folders in the Random directory, and just leave out the .wav files in 20 of them? I guess I'm wondering if the data sets in each folder have to duplicate each other in order for it to work right.
If you leave out the other 20 then two times out of three you'll get the default in-game fanfare. You need to duplicate them into each 10 folders for it to be truly random.

My Loading Screens mod has 100 folders. The 25 fanfares are repeated four times. The three leers are repeated thirty-three times (+1 of course). Other items are repeated as well.
Old 01-11-11, 09:45 AM   #554
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Hi yourself! There was a fanfare mod out there with about 40 of them. I only used 25 because they were modern recordings that sounded real and in-your-face. The others were old scratchy records, and when the band played them they sounded like old scratchy records.
Lol, I took some files out of my Gramophone playlist for exactly the same... er... opposite... er... whatever... reason. Point is, they're the modern recordings of the old marches and sound too good to be something played on an old record while on patrol. It would probably sound like we brought the entire band with us in the boat.

So they got pulled from there and set aside and TBH I really hated the prospect of never hearing Gruss an Kiel in-game again.

So I was trying to figure out where to use them, I knew it was possible to get them randomly swapped in for the default Fanfara_01.wav, where the sound quality would be a plus, since obviously it's already been done at least once.

I just didn't have a clue about the proper folder structure. Now I do!

Quote:
If you leave out the other 20 then two times out of three you'll get the default in-game fanfare. You need to duplicate them into each 10 folders for it to be truly random.

My Loading Screens mod has 100 folders. The 25 fanfares are repeated four times. The three leers are repeated thirty-three times (+1 of course). Other items are repeated as well.
TYVM, that's exactly what I needed to know. It doesn't matter right now since I'm only looking at randomizing one thing, but somewhere down the road that could change.
Old 01-11-11, 10:27 AM   #555
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
It would probably sound like we brought the entire band with us in the boat.
Considering your (fictional counterpart's) connection to the inestimable Balz, I'm surprised that bothers you.

Tags
sh3 commander