SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-23, 06:15 PM   #5236
Capt RAP
Watch

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default Question about a assignment out on Midway in 1943

Afternoon Captains:
I was assigned to patrol off of Ocean Island and look for enemy activity. I received a "Shell s/e ocean island and vessels" after I completed a five-day patrol of the area. The "Engage Target" symbol appeared. I SHELLED AND SHELLED AND SHELLED! Nothing. I never saw a target symbol in the Scope or deck gun. I was finally driven off by a patrol plane that caused some damage, but I was able to return to midway. Date was 04/18/1943. Anyway just wondering about it

Thanks, Capt RAP
Capt RAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-23, 08:16 PM   #5237
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RAP View Post
Afternoon Captains:
I was assigned to patrol off of Ocean Island and look for enemy activity. I received a "Shell s/e ocean island and vessels" after I completed a five-day patrol of the area. The "Engage Target" symbol appeared. I SHELLED AND SHELLED AND SHELLED! Nothing. I never saw a target symbol in the Scope or deck gun. I was finally driven off by a patrol plane that caused some damage, but I was able to return to midway. Date was 04/18/1943. Anyway just wondering about it

Thanks, Capt RAP
what boat are you driving?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 07:43 AM   #5238
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That mission, as it stands is very fiddly. We are attempting to change it just a bit for the next release, but be aware that you are given the Objective, which directs you to an area off the south coast (approximate location of a phosphorus loading facility). If you get in close enough, you are given a prompt as to when to begin shelling. You have to be within the smaller circle, which is the "target" area. Inside that circle in that "harbor" initially, are several small vessels, and those are your "targets", as stand-ins for the shore and/or phosphorus plant. It is best to do this at night to minimize the possibility of air attack, and to help shield your boat from view. Also, do NOT sink anything by torpedo before you get within the circle, else you will most likely sink your "target" before its "activation" as a valid Objective target is set... We know of at least three people that have done that... lol - One thing to remember about the game, is that there is no "penalty" for not fulfilling Objectives. You only miss out on the 200-400 renown points (dependent) for completing them, so as long as you were able to complete the overall "Patrol" assignment, you still got points. It is more important if you sank something though, as always, since you get points for everything sunk. Since the Marshalls area is relatively "dry" of targets (comparatively) - unless you want to tangle with sub chasers - most of the newer missions to the area have multiple Objectives to help boost the players' chances of a higher score.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 10:38 AM   #5239
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That mission, as it stands is very fiddly. We are attempting to change it just a bit for the next release, but be aware that you are given the Objective, which directs you to an area off the south coast (approximate location of a phosphorus loading facility). If you get in close enough, you are given a prompt as to when to begin shelling. You have to be within the smaller circle, which is the "target" area. Inside that circle in that "harbor" initially, are several small vessels, and those are your "targets", as stand-ins for the shore and/or phosphorus plant. It is best to do this at night to minimize the possibility of air attack, and to help shield your boat from view. Also, do NOT sink anything by torpedo before you get within the circle, else you will most likely sink your "target" before its "activation" as a valid Objective target is set... We know of at least three people that have done that... lol - One thing to remember about the game, is that there is no "penalty" for not fulfilling Objectives. You only miss out on the 200-400 renown points (dependent) for completing them, so as long as you were able to complete the overall "Patrol" assignment, you still got points. It is more important if you sank something though, as always, since you get points for everything sunk. Since the Marshalls area is relatively "dry" of targets (comparatively) - unless you want to tangle with sub chasers - most of the newer missions to the area have multiple Objectives to help boost the players' chances of a higher score.
what mission is this?
i could not find it.

LAA enabled
Old 01-11-23, 12:50 PM   #5240
propbeanie

I forget exactly, but for one of the cruiser subs, like the Argonaut, Narwhal or Nautilus, with an assignment to Bougainville to pick-up evacuees fleeing the Japanese occupation, but with a Patrol enroute around Nauru, which once you've been on that patrol for 24 hours, the "Shell" order comes in. Maybe it's the other way around, to patrol Nauru first, then to Bougainville... I don't remember. It is a "historical" mission though... for what that's worth. lol

Old 01-11-23, 04:23 PM   #5241
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I forget exactly, but for one of the cruiser subs, like the Argonaut, Narwhal or Nautilus, with an assignment to Bougainville to pick-up evacuees fleeing the Japanese occupation, but with a Patrol enroute around Nauru, which once you've been on that patrol for 24 hours, the "Shell" order comes in. Maybe it's the other way around, to patrol Nauru first, then to Bougainville... I don't remember. It is a "historical" mission though... for what that's worth. lol
i was trying to find the mission by searching for Ocean Island in the tsr files but, as usual, Win10 does a less than satisfactory job with its tool set.

p.s. i found it: FifeArgo

i just finished a career with Argo. i must have missed the date window for this mission, which is less than a month, at the very onset of the war.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 01-11-23 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-11-23, 05:14 PM   #5242
Capt RAP
Watch

Default As a Follow up

Thanks for the info. I was in a Gato, I was assigned to Patrol the Islands first (Naura and Ocean), I never saw any vessels, I got close enough to jump off onto the Beach!
Fun mission anyway!
Capt RAP
Old 01-12-23, 07:36 AM   #5243
propbeanie

A gato, eh? What was the date you got it, or about when you were in the area? Did you have an original mission assignment to patrol near the Solomon Islands, and you called in a Status Update and was assigned the new area and then the shelling? thanks

KM: I use Notepad++ and "Find in Files" with a search term. Just make certain the "Replace with:" box is empty. Choose a file extension, such as *.tsr to limit the search and choose the folder to look in..

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-12-23 at 07:50 AM. Reason: more text...
Old 01-12-23, 11:27 AM   #5244
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
A gato, eh? What was the date you got it, or about when you were in the area? Did you have an original mission assignment to patrol near the Solomon Islands, and you called in a Status Update and was assigned the new area and then the shelling? thanks

KM: I use Notepad++ and "Find in Files" with a search term. Just make certain the "Replace with:" box is empty. Choose a file extension, such as *.tsr to limit the search and choose the folder to look in..
i ended up having to close my eyes, channel The Force, and use a command-level command: Findstr.
shouldnt have to, though. Win Explorer Search should be able to do it. used to be able to do it. but you know, progress.

back to cases....
after finding the actual mission, it seems almost impossible for a Gato to get that mission in 1943, which may explain why no enemy ships were detected.

LAA enabled
Old 01-12-23, 05:41 PM   #5245
Capt RAP
Watch

Default Update

I started a new career out of midway in the Gato. This was my 2nd patrol and arrived in the area of Ocean Island in April 43. I don't recall what the exact patrol assignment was, but the "Patrol Area" marker was right between Nauru and Ocean Island. After patrolling the area, I did send a status report and the go to Ocean Island and shell was assigned. Again, no big deal, don't mean to cause extra work with this small issue. I just really wanted to shell the island This MOD is really great!! Capt RAP
Old 01-13-23, 01:02 PM   #5246
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RAP View Post
I started a new career out of midway in the Gato. This was my 2nd patrol and arrived in the area of Ocean Island in April 43. I don't recall what the exact patrol assignment was, but the "Patrol Area" marker was right between Nauru and Ocean Island. After patrolling the area, I did send a status report and the go to Ocean Island and shell was assigned. Again, no big deal, don't mean to cause extra work with this small issue. I just really wanted to shell the island This MOD is really great!! Capt RAP
this picture is becoming clearer.

tell me, Herr Kaleun, were you based out of Brisbane, by chance?

LAA enabled
Old 01-13-23, 05:18 PM   #5247
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5
Default Here we go!

Alright. I started an entirely new modlist.

Hopefully, this fixes some of the problems I had earlier. I just want to double-check.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
302_MoreDifficultAI001
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar
399c2_NoScrollNavMap - OAKsSameSizedDials
650_OriginalFOTRS_Dudz
801_UMark Triangle
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
856_Col_FotRSU_Museum
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
FOTRSU_1.8_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
Combined Roster
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
805_CWC_FIOQv18

Thanks for your help

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-23, 06:00 PM   #5248
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default you know....

you get one of those 5 days patrol missions, and you arrive at your PZ (patrolzone) and begin patrolling and you meet up with a small convoy, attack and then haul off and wait.
then you detect another small convoy from a different directions, and follow the same pattern.
then, just after the second one, you bump into a third, only this is a single merchie/tanker. easy meat, eh?
so, you start your tracking from the surface, as you close to the point where you have to submerge to avoid detection.
and, then, you check the distance with the soundman....and then things hesitate and suddenly you are looking at your desktop.
you know....?
no, no save. too many consecutive contacts to remember to save.
@#$%^$%$@^

LAA enabled
Old 01-16-23, 10:21 AM   #5249
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
Alright. I started an entirely new modlist.

Hopefully, this fixes some of the problems I had earlier. I just want to double-check.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
302_MoreDifficultAI001
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar
399c2_NoScrollNavMap - OAKsSameSizedDials
650_OriginalFOTRS_Dudz
801_UMark Triangle
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
856_Col_FotRSU_Museum
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
FOTRSU_1.8_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
Combined Roster
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
805_CWC_FIOQv18

Thanks for your help
Looks fine, other than the 856_Col_FotRSU_Museum is overwritten by the Nippon Maru files, which is fine. Good stuff from s7rikeback there. One thing to remember about the 805_CWC_FIOQv18 is that the Cold Weather Clothes are with you all of the way, no matter where you go. Next version we hope to be able to make a "fix" for that, but have not even tested an idea yet...

Old 01-16-23, 07:15 PM   #5250
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkrakne View Post
Im having an issue with fotrsu not spawning in any IJN ships, USN ships spawn in and load perfectly fine, I started my first career with the mod in a narwhal at midway in 1942, sailed to wake island to do some recon and there were no ships physically loaded in, but I was getting sonar contacts and my crew could see them through the periscope. when planes would be spotted, they wouldn't attack but fly straight as if I wasn't there, I switched to a stock boat (I believe porpoise) and had the same problems with no ships spawning but still getting sonar contacts, this is on a fresh install with only fotrsu v1.8 enabled in jsgme and the game is installed under G:/steamlibary/steamapps/common. This behavior has persisted through 2 reinstalls of the game from steam where I manually deleted all the files in the install path and in the documents folder. I uninstalled fotrsu through jsgme and ships did appear properly, and stock IJN ships load properly and appear in the world not just sonar contacts and planes would attack. the only mod installed is a change to the freecam speed to make is similar to SH3. Also how do you change the compass/rudder dial to be the same size as the others, and the propellers on the narhwal rotate in the wrong direction if that means anything. Also this is on the uboat missions install with LAA.
Sorry we missed you the other day with this slimkrakne. Got busy, then got sick... not cool. Anyway, actually have half a brain now, looking for the other 3/5... First of all, you cannot get a Narwhal out of Midway in 1942 in FotRSU v1.8, so I don't know where you are able to do that. Also, I just took one out of Pearl July of 1942, and the port propeller spins clockwise, and the starboard propeller spins counter-clockwise (or anit-clockwise). As far as I know that is the way US submarines were during WW2. As for the airplanes not attacking, I journeyed to near Rongelap Atoll in the northern Marshalls. I did not have my radars turned on purposefully, to prevent a "homing" effect on my waves. However, a cursory search group did find me. I thought I would stay on the surface, but in my haste had forgotten to place the gun crews, so I hurried and did that as the planes attacked...

We hit the one, but did not manage to shoot it down, but they did straddle us rather close on that 2nd pass, taking slight damage and losing hull integrity. That was just as a demonstration, and it is NOT recommended that you stay on the surface and fight airplanes at anytime in FotRSU. Just sayin'... dangerous stuff. We have not seen any ships yet, but maybe later.

If you can, let us know more about your install, the homeport, boat and date of sailing that you are having trouble with. Also, besides emptying the Save folder, do not bring in any old data yourself. You cannot use old Save data at all. It will corrupt your install. Also, did you correctly set the LAA (Large Address Aware) or 4Gig Patch on the SH4.exe file?

Edit: Looking for enemy surface vessels will have to wait... we are having to return home because of the damage suffered from the plane attack. One of the leaks continued seemingly unabated, and as we Crash Dived to avoid another plane attack about an hour after the first, the boat almost collapsed-in on itself... we made it back up to PD at Ahead Standard while the planes buzzed about for a bit, but as soon as they were gone, we pointed the bow east and north for home at Ahead Standard. The hull integrity is bad now, and I doubt we'd survive another Crash Dive, and would be pushing a dive to PD even... Do NOT fight airplanes... lol - hopefully, it remains water-tight enough to make it home...

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-17-23 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Heading home