SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-22, 08:13 PM   #451
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'm surprised more people aren't put off by Glock's grip angle. It just doesn't work for me. Otherwise, they're great firearms.

Still jonesing for a new High Power
Old 10-31-22, 08:27 PM   #452
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I've got a G26 as well, I found it very easy to handle, made me want to feel a full size grip. Just picked up the G19 today, Halloween gun, never thought about the angle of the grip. Feels great in hand can't wait to hit the range this coming Saturday. I really love the sights.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 08:46 PM   #453
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I was in when we switched from the lord’s caliber to the Beretta M9. Compared to the Colt 1911 only thing I liked about the m9 was the massive mag capacity, what nice change that was! As for the rest of the design I wasn’t all that happy, it was IMO oversized, awkward, with too long of a long trigger pull.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 09:10 PM   #454
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

This Beretta I have is Italian made, very nice, yes but way too big and awkwardly heavy. I wish in some ways I could keep it but time to move on.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 09:13 PM   #455
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Dumping that Beretta and getting the Glock is a step in the right direction.

Old 10-31-22, 10:07 PM   #456
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I'm really thinking about getting one of Springfield's "new" Browning Hi Powers, but kinda expensive

You can get a full combat auto that is highly regarded and styled like the Browning high power, if that matters.

Try the Czech CZ 75B. It is a large frame gun and not something I would recommend for concealed carry unless you are a large frame individual.

I have one and like it a lot. It has a fairly high capacity clip of 15 rounds. I have seen other clips with a 10 round capacity. The CZ 75 isn't cheap either but i have seen gently used models in the $ 450-500 dollar range

^ This top gun is of course the browning high Power. The lower gun is the CZ75B for a side by side comparison. Draw backs to the high power are that they are Single action only. The CZ is double action and single action with the hammer cocked. The high power is offered in 9mm and 40. cal. just as the CZ 75B's are. The early 40. cal high powers were said to have barrel issues with insufficient lugs for the barrel.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 06:21 PM   #457
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Bump stock ban just got thrown out in a federal appeals court. Might make way for Rare Breed’s FRT-15 next.

Old 01-30-23, 04:22 PM   #458
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Bump stock ban just got thrown out in a federal appeals court. Might make way for Rare Breed’s FRT-15 next.

I would wait on the FRT-15 if we could focus on the brace ruling that's allegedly going live tomorrow.
Old 02-08-23, 12:26 AM   #459
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

Q: any opinions on the 10mm vs 9mm x 19 cartridges?

I was thinking about getting a CCW permit now that that's actually a thing in Maryland.
Old 02-08-23, 12:49 AM   #460
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
Q: any opinions on the 10mm vs 9mm x 19 cartridges?

I was thinking about getting a CCW permit now that that's actually a thing in Maryland.
You've got 5.7 x 28 to think about now too with 22 rounds in this particular magazine
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...0the%20M%26P5.
Old 02-08-23, 07:49 AM   #461
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

If you’re looking for something to keep in the cars glove box, under your seat, purse, or carry in the woods any size and caliber is suitable. But if you’re looking for a dedicated every day concealed carry search more along the lines of frame size, grip and capacity, then practice practice and practice. The Sig Sauer P365 9mm & .380 are quite popular and reliable micros. The 9mm can be snappy as hell the .380 is much more tame and great for small frame ladies and Nancy boys . If you got large hands or simply looking for a better grip then the P365xl might be worth a look. All are a very concealable and most importantly IMO very comfortable everyday carry with high mag capacity for their size. Everyone and their mothers make holsters for them too, lots of options.

When I carry now, it’s just a .38 special off-duty revolver with hard cast wad cutters in a very comfortable leather IWB holster. I use wad cutters as hollow points don’t achieve the velocity from a 1.5 inch barrel making useless for their intended purpose . Though wadcutters don’t expand or lose energy like a hollow point, they do penetrate! I also found someone who makes a IWB holster for my old Soviet TT-33, 7.62x25 mm which I carry once in a blue moon. But that’s kinda clunky.

If you plan to go out in the woods where black bears I’d go with a +p 10mm hard cast wad cutter would penetrate like a freight train straight past flesh, bone, fat, right into the boiler room with ease. Unfortunately some semi auto’s are kinda a finicky when it comes to finding the right brinell hardness and wad cutters that will feed properly. It’s definitely worth the time buying a few different boxes and researching by trial and error so you’re not stuck with a malfunction when you need it most. Or just get a wheel gun.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-08-23 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-08-23, 09:18 AM   #462
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

The other thing about conceal carry is insurance. There are plenty of people willing to sell you it. Be very careful and use due diligence read the fine print as to what they actually provide. IMO I considered most if not all to be a scam.

Personally I don’t carry insurance. I feel that if someone thinks they need it they most likely don’t understand the definition of self defence and are carrying for the wrong reason and shouldn’t have a gun to begin with.

Old 02-08-23, 10:00 AM   #463
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
The 9mm can be snappy as hell the .380 is much more tame and great for small frame ladies and Nancy boys . If you got large hands or simply looking for a better grip then the P365xl might be worth a look. All are a very concealable and most importantly IMO very comfortable everyday carry with high mag capacity for their size. Everyone and their mothers make holsters for them too, lots of options.

I disagree with the .380 being for " Nancy Boys." It's true the " Micro " frame 9mm have a niche in the market. .380 calibers on the other hand have sufficient stopping power. FBI ballistic reports tend to agree as well. Take a Bersa Thunder .380 plus model. It carries 15 rounds in a double stack magazine. Load the magazine with good hollow points and it has respectable stopping power.

It's not going to have the stopping power of a 9mm, .357 magnum or .40 caliber. Then again, it's not supposed to. The Bersa Thunder 15 round model with 2 spare magazines filled with hollow points is sufficient. The whole idea is not to get into a confrontation against an armed assailant but rather have a weapon that allows you to escape to relative safety until law enforcement can arrive and handle the situation. If not, .380 hollow points can do the job, especially if you have many rounds of it in a magazine and also loaded spare magazines.

Everything in concealed carry is a balance between stopping power and conceal-ability with regards to licensed carry. A good .380 can fill that role. At home, I would favor a good .357 wheel gun with speed loaders and loaded with wad cutters. If you have all of your family members assembled in one room, a good long gun or shotgun is hard to beat in protecting them.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-08-23 at 10:10 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 12:51 PM   #464
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I disagree…

When I was referring to the 9mm being snappy it was in regard to what some (including me) perceive as a ‘snappy’ felt recoil inherent in micros like the 9mm P365. Those pistols are small and some people (not all) don’t like that perceived lack of control it creates. Which I think arises from the fact that grips on micros aren’t long enough for a shooters pinky finger to wrap around and grasp, some people just can’t get used to that. So Sig and others make excellent magazine grip extensions and though still snappy it gives the shooter a better sense of control, the XL size helps with that too. Both options still keeps the firearm concealed quite well and remains comfortable for all day carry. Which is important too, it’s called conceal carry for a reason. You don’t want others to know that you carry especially if you run across some Karen who sees it, accuses you of brandishing weapon and decides to call the cops while you’re waiting in line for your fries at MacDonalds. IMO part of a conceal carry responsibility is being as discreet as possible but still pack a punch.

As for .380 it is thought to be a bit more forgiving. Hence my comment for ladies and Nancy boys that can’t deal with that ‘snappy’ felt recoil of a micro 9mm.

But you’re right if you can hit your intended target a 9mm or .380 is more than capable of doing the job. Also just FYI according to FBI statistics the vast majority of personal defense shooting situations occur with 12 feet. You really don’t need to go big or have some elaborate laser or dot sight or ‘tactical’ attachments, forget that crap. You just need be able quickly draw, point, shoot and hit the target and if possible do so without looking down any sights. Learn to use that thing we all have, a natural point of aim. And remember a CCW permit does not make you a crime fighter or a super hero. It is strictly for your own self defense.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-08-23 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-08-23, 02:44 PM   #465
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

I've been open carrying for years and have had zero problems with "Karens" ... or those with more heinous intentions, either. The latter is one reason I open carry, and it has proven effective at deterring a bad situation before it starts. I don't ever want to have to use my firearm in anger, so I'd rather prevent than react.

I do get the occasional question about which gun I'm carrying. But that usually results in a nice conversation about firearms. Maybe it's because of where I live. I don't know.

I did have one police officer recommend I get a concealed carry license. But he didn't say why he thought I needed one. I might get one anyway, just in case I feel like being more discreet one day. I dunno.

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles