SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-19, 09:09 PM   #1
Joe S
XO

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default full screen view

I upgraded to Win 10 and re-loaded SH4 and it appeared to be a successful install except that one of the components at the end could not be installed. Not sure if it was game shadow, acrobat or what. At any rate, I installed SH4 on and old computer that is not online, running Win XP. It appears to work fine, except that I cannot get a full screen view, even though I checked and unchecked the "window view" box under graphic setting.
I would appreciate it if anyone can help me out with this.
Thanks!
Joe S
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 10:16 PM   #2
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75

I cant help with WinXP but maybe I can with Win10.
Someone else may have some experience with WinXP.

If I had to guess its the graphics card in the XP box.

On Win10 is you buy the product from steam, the steam installer does all the work and everything loads. If you are trying to load up the DVD or Amazon Download, then its probably the installer script trying to install a missing DirectX 9 version.
In Win10 you wont need that as DirectX 12 will provide the needed API's to simulate v9
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 08:15 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ahhh yesh, WinXP - what could have been the best OS...

Anyway, if you have an old CRT display, find what it can drive at, and what your video card can drive at, and set that as the desktop display setting. Then go into SH4 and at the main menu, Options, Graphic Settings, and find the drop-down in the upper-left for your display resolution in the game. Set that to match what your Windows display is. The same holds for an LCD display, other than it has a "native" resolution, which Windows refers to as "recommended" in its dialog for the newer OSes (and I'm not certain what XP shows). Find the "native" resolution, set Windows to it, and set the game to it.

btw, you do not want / need the Acrobat or UPlay that is on the install disk on your computer. UPlay is broke, and Acrobat has much newer / safer version to download. But you do need the DirectX v9.0c and the Windows Media Codec installed.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 02:36 AM   #4
Pyryck
Watch

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
I upgraded to Win 10 and re-loaded SH4 and it appeared to be a successful install except that one of the components at the end could not be installed. Not sure if it was game shadow, acrobat or what. At any rate, I installed SH4 on and old computer that is not online, running Win XP. It appears to work fine, except that I cannot get a full screen view, even though I checked and unchecked the "window view" box under graphic setting.
I would appreciate it if anyone can help me out with this.
Thanks!
Joe S
I had an opposite issue to yours after completing a clean install of the game. I was trying to get the game to run in a window on my ultra-wide monitor.

Prior to the clean install I had SH4 running at 1920 x 1080 inside a window so I know the game will run Windowed. You just might have to coerce it into complying.

Basically it boiled down to starting a career in game which forces the game to create the Save Game folder under Documents/My Documents. Inside the Save Game folder\Data\CFG is a "MAIN.CFG" file which stores player settings for the game. I had to edit the resolution entry shown from the section -

[VIDEO]
Resolution=3440,1440,100,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=No
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

to get the game to run at my monitors native resolution and refresh rate 3440x1440 at 100 mhz. Running the game at this high resolution fills up the entire screen of my LCD so I don't even see a window border even though the entry for FullScreen says no.

You may be able to edit the same entry to force the game to run inside a window at a resolution suitable to your display.
Pyryck is offline   Reply With Quote