SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-19, 10:07 PM   #1
Captain Ken
Swabbie

Downloads: 498
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Windows issue

After being away for some time, I have re-installed SH4 on my system, using Windows 10.

When I start the program, it brings up previous missions from the data directory, however when I begin to play the game, it freezes after 2 or 3 minutes, then closes and returns to the Windows desktop.

As I've been away for some time, the SubSim website has changed quite a bit, so I am not sure if I am missing updates that can resolve this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Captain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-19, 10:28 PM   #2
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75

If you have a fresh install and its doing this it may be the version number.

Do you know which version you have?
Depending on the install you used, it could be v1.3, v1.4 or v1.5

From what I understand v1.5 is the most stable.

When you load up the game and are at the main menu, in the lower right hand corner will be the version#.

To get the v1.5 edition you would need to also load up the DLC pack for U-Boat missions which comes with the latest binaries. Latest being 2007 or 2009, cant remember. I think the Gold edition is also v1.5 but I dont have that version, so I cant say for sure.

If you do have mods loaded, it may be a missing texture or some tweak that changes the way a particular element paints crashing video.
I had that for a while on v1.5 until I discovered a missing texture from a mod I was playing with. Adding back the texture fixed TC and CTD for me.
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 08:56 AM   #3
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ken View Post
After being away for some time, I have re-installed SH4 on my system, using Windows 10.

When I start the program, it brings up previous missions from the data directory, however when I begin to play the game, it freezes after 2 or 3 minutes, then closes and returns to the Windows desktop.

As I've been away for some time, the SubSim website has changed quite a bit, so I am not sure if I am missing updates that can resolve this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Where did you install it? Do not let it go into a C:\Program Files directory. Put it into something like C:\My Games\ or whatever you want, but not into either of the Program Files folders. Win10 (or Win7 for that matter) doesn't let anyone mess in there and will cause problems, such as freezing or ctd's.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote